Elfin Lake March 5-08 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: running, hiking, blading, camping, skiing, outdoors, spending time with kids, big hockey and baseball fan, board and card games
Default Elfin Lake March 5-08

weather: sunny and hot![8D]
people: me, noman (cocobean) and mary (from wanderung)
time started: (th) 9:51 am (so much for my 8 am start!)
time at shelter:11:30
time at hut: 3:15
time back to parking lot: 5:50 pm
road conditions: needed tire chains for the last couple of km's to the parking lot
truly gorgeous up there! finally reached the hut after 2 attemps.. tho next time will definitely be an overnight.. its so terrible having to leave the solitude of the hut!!

ps. oh, hey! i lost 2 lbs from this hike!!

pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12622087@N08/

yeh baby!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking

thanks for posting, awesome pictures. perfect weather, great hike.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

Ski trails on a mountainside.....
You take great pictures! I'm planning an 8 a.m. start tomorrow if my knee gives me permission to go on some small jaunts in the state park down here... Up at 06:30, Starbucks at 7:30 and hit the first overlook at 8 a.m. SHARP!
Sounds great to have a hut or shelter to hike to. It sucks down here. We got nuttin' [V] You guys rock!
Looking forward to seeing the overnighter some day. Here's to great weather. Thanks, Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: and Interests: Hiking, cycling, down-hill skiing, generally just being in the great outdoors, also enjoy X-country skiing, canoeing or kayaking, gardening, dancing & travelling

I'm so glad you found someone to get out there with Ruth. I was so trying to get my work done here to tag along (although it's probably good I didn't as 25Km is just a tad long for someone who hasn't done much all winter [:I])
I was with you in spirit --- gazing at the mountains all day from my window at work --- hmmmmm, no wonder I don't get anything done!!!! [:0]

Looks like you had a great day. Gorgeous pictures!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Ruth, you had a perfect picture day.

Nice shots out there on the snow and in the sun.

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

Wow! Every trip I've done up there in the snow, the view has consisted of white on white (with some blowing white). So very spectacular to see all that fresh snow in sunshine.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

ack... I cant believe I didn't sign up for this one. Amazing day and amazing pics... yer breaking my heart [B)]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 06:35 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!

Nice! Was thinking of you and wondering as I sat in my cave looking longingly out at the SUNSHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: running, hiking, blading, camping, skiing, outdoors, spending time with kids, big hockey and baseball fan, board and card games

thanks guyz!

karl, it was u're report that was the kick in the pants for me, but after looking at u're pix again, we sure did get more sun.. we sure were lucky! [8D]

the last 2 times i was up that way (tho the furtheest i made it was far as the 2nd ridge , there were zero views.. so it was such a treat! [8D][8D] and to tell the truth, i kinda thought there weren't gonna be too many more opportunities to see it like that.. afterall, spring is almost here!

mary and i brought something to slide down with, but the snow was much too soft and soppy and not good for siding..

there were quite a few people on skis.. in fact we met up with maybe 3 groups and only a couple of them were on snowshoes.. one fella passed us on his skis.. he was planning on continuing on and doing some traverse but when we caught up with him at the hut, he was kinda leaning towards staying on.. sure was cozy in there!

del sol, i'm sure coulda done it..u may have been pooped, but it would be a 'good pooped!'..

and monster, u snoozed.. u 'loozed'! [)]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by canuckgurl

[blue]thanks guyz!

karl, it was u're report that was the kick in the pants for me, but after looking at u're pix again, we sure did get more sun.. we sure were lucky! [8D]
Ruth... I am glad my report inspired you. You lucked in big time to get that beautiful clear skies and sunshine.. together with the snow like that.

All the best to you..

K
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

Holee wow, looks like an awesome day out! Im ssssoooo jealous (gazes out at the dark, listening to the familiar sound of pitter patter that I so do NOT love)

[8D]
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks Ruth for organizing that track to Elfin Lakes, It was a lot of fun. Next i want to do a overnighter in the hut and next day explore some of the area down further. By the way that Toyota Tercel of yours rocks. I thought when i saw the ice/snow past the middle parking lot that we were going to have to walk, for sure.

Noman

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page