Deathmarch - The Epic Day Hike - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Somewhere between pomp & circumstance, British Columbia, Canada.
Interest: Hmmmm?
Default Deathmarch - The Epic Day Hike

Guys are funny! We sit around and come up with crazy ideas. This started by having a few friends over for a bbq Saturday night, just sitting around drinking a Grolsch (cause it's Sschummer time) when someone mentions a hike for Sunday. I mention the waterfall at Greendrop and my curiosity as to the source of the waterfall, and both buddies are up for it. I say "A wee bit ambitious for a day hike, probably best left for an overnighter." Fair amount of elevation gain, a brutal switchback, and no trail for approx. 1500 ft and 1.4km. Aah crap, they're totally pumped!
.....and so it begins.....

Frank meets me at my place at 6:30am, get Richard at 6:45am, Timmies for a lg. dbl dbl, geared up and ready to hike at 8:30 at the trailhead.

"Hmmm, wonder how old? 1, 2, ahh forget it, let's go!"

15 minutes up the trail we meet a solo hiker who had spent the night at Lindeman. He says, "I was up all night....nothing but cussing and loud explosions". "Cool, Todd's here!!! Looks like he didn't go to Heather after all. GIT ER DUN!!![]" (This became the day's mantra.)

Get to Lindeman at 9:00, say good morning to the girls (and their boyfriends [V]). As we walked along we found three broken beer bottles with the caps still on!! Hmmm, maybe it's not Todd after all? He would have brought cans, as the weight savings would allow for at least two more beers! As we climb down the ladder at the far end and begin to walk up the trail, we first hear the explosion, then a minute later meet the four young lads who caused it. As a member of CT, I had these Jr. Nuts open their "How To Be A Hiking Nut" handbook. There on page 1...Rule # 1 - "Beer should be in cans to save weight, to create back-country beer shots by punching hole in can, and to minimise the risk or breakage...or more importantly, the reckless waste of beer." After my rather stern talk and a threat to tell Todd, they quickly apologized and promised not to do it again. (I did mention how proud Nut would be of their bomb making skills!)

No pictures if Lindeman or Greendrop...you've all seen it.

Get to Greendrop/Centennial Trail junction at 10:45am. A little rest and off up the switchback from Hell.

One of just a million trees I saw this day.

We reach the top of the waterfall in about 45-60 minutes. This area always scares me a bit as there are wildly exposed areas where the drop is STRAIGHT down, and several hundred feet. A little slip would confirm a recovery rather than a rescue at this place.

View from the waterfall, Greendrop below.

View from the rocky death cliff. Flora lake in above the waterfall, Greendrop below.

Cliff area with several hundred foot drop. Very cool colours in the rock. (Note: This area has what looks like "Earth Cornices". The earth just below has eroded, so step here to meet your maker.)

After a quick break, we follow the east side of the creek for 50-75 meters until we hit the remains of the logging road. Given the washouts and the size of some of the trees in the road, "remains" is the best word to describe this. Pretty rough.

It is now 12:00. We must enter the forest and bushwack our way up the lake. Our legs are already feeling the climb, and the thought of not having a trail doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun. We opt to keep the creek on our left, and stick to the ridge as the creek has some steep eroded walls, (and a few cool waterfalls as well.) The saving grace of this day was the sun was NOT shining. It could have been a hot, brutal day, but rather it was just a luke warm, brutal day.
We finally reach and area where the terrain seems to level out, and the trees near the creek give way to wild flowers not yet in bloom. We encounter some snow and the GPS says 5000ft. I wonder if my friends at Ling are snowbound as well?

Amazing what a little encouragement does to give life back to the legs. We wander up the creek, eventually crossing a snow bridge with the creek roaring below us. We had made it to the lake 15 minutes before our turn around time of 2:00.
The lake...

If you look at the Google Earth images, you'll see that it kinda looks like two lakes. The smaller one is a bit deeper, and the larger one quite shallow.

Panos...

We stayed for an hour, left at 3:45. It took us half the time to get down, even though the legs were rebelling. We reached the road at 4:45. Now we will get back to trail, but have to decend down Satans' switchback.

The last part of this hike was pretty uneventful. We made it back to the truck around 7:00. All three of us were feeling the fatigue, but it was pretty cool to have survived the epic death-march.
We have since offically named it "Deathmarch Lake".
If you decide to go, bring a machete, flagging tape, your tent, and a nice Merlot. This is a beautiful place tucked in a bowl, and worthy of a several night stay.

Proof....

The route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Moses

Hehehe...I took this same picture:

on our recent trek to Lindeman. Maybe this log will become as famous and photographed as the Post Creek waterfall down below?

While we were at the far end, we also heard some "explosions" but this was two weeks ago...they must have quite a supply up there!

Good report, I've wondered about that waterfall...and the road to it!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Nice shots, also wondered about the waterfall. Missed it last year, looking forward to seeing it sometime.

Regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Banned

So...on your map, whereabouts is this "Satan's Switchback"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw a sign that said "Chilliwack Corn"...but I don't care!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Alright Mo! We've been wondering what that little jewel looked like.

And yes there was a fair bit of snow at Ling, no skinny-dipping on this trip! (er... well Krista did a bit but I wasn't nearly brave enough.)

~exscape.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, snowshoeing, cooking, eating ;-)

Nice trip, I've wondered what it looks like up there too.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Shadow
Here is a pic of the same log with a hand for perspective. You might be right, could be a well photographed log!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking,hiking,hiking and more hiking

Damn I guess you just couldn't wait for me could ya? Wish I was there but I was in spirit, Now that you have been up ther you know the route(somewhat) we could head in for a night and flag the hell out of it! Great job[^]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 PM
MJB
Off the Beaten Path

It's a treat to see a map with a TR. For us out-of-towners, it puta perspective on the whole thing. Great trek.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hikerdude1970

Damn I guess you just couldn't wait for me could ya? Wish I was there but I was in spirit, Now that you have been up ther you know the route(somewhat) we could head in for a night and flag the hell out of it! Great job[^]
My apologies, Don. When I mentioned this "idea", I never thought my bud's would have been so pumped. I was secretly hoping they would go with my other plan...dash to the border and back via Chilliwack Eco Reserve trail. Shouldn't have opened my pie-hole.[:0]
I will go back (once I have healed) and stay for a night or two. Definately flag a route, and possibly bring a machete (or Boris) to clear some bush. Be an awesome spot in about a month.
Let's git er dun!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

To make it a deathmarch and then some, you should have returned via Goat/Porcupine Peak. Nice trip and wit.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Summit Master

excellent read,a good idea ended in a good trip.all is well
I guess need to sharpen my blade soon,havent "hacked" this year yet
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Summit Master

Love your story telling Mo.
Great report.Todd would be proud of you.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

A great trip worthy of the 5 year shout out with a "holla"!
I'm hoping this shameless bump will encourage some of the younger stronger dumber members on CT to go and mark a trail to the top.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Good trip and glad you managed to stay away from the 50 thousand campers and hikers around Lindeman Lake this past weekend. When I seen the hundred or so vehicles packed all over the road there I turned my tail and ran for my life.

I found another lake that only took 12 hours to do also and free of the stampede.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page