Eagle Ridge Feb. 24, 2007 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Eagle Ridge Feb. 24, 2007

A quick trip up to test out some new gear. The snow line was at about 300m with snowshoes becoming essential at about 400-500m.

The trail up... and the last trace of daylight, with angry clouds moving in... .

The new Tarptent Rainbow fared well. It snowed most of the night and reached about -5, with light winds. I was hoping for worse weather to see how it would handle blowing snow, but no luck :-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 10:08 AM

looked like fun, and looks like your tent worked....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 10:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spetschu

I was hoping for worse weather to see how it would handle blowing snow, but no luck :-).
That just seems wrong.[]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
The Rainbow and Double Rainbow caught my attention a while back. What did you think of the Rainbow for ease of setup and overnight condensation? As a lite-weight single wall tent, I imagine it's not going to hold much heat though the Double Rainbow has a optional liner that may help with condensation. Both versions *look* like they could handle some rough 3.5 season weather once they're staked out... what's your impression? Thanks!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paulo

Quote:
The Rainbow and Double Rainbow caught my attention a while back. What did you think of the Rainbow for ease of setup and overnight condensation? As a lite-weight single wall tent, I imagine it's not going to hold much heat though the Double Rainbow has a optional liner that may help with condensation. Both versions *look* like they could handle some rough 3.5 season weather once they're staked out... what's your impression? Thanks!
This was my first time with the inner wall liner and while it is difficult to say how much heat it trapped, it did seem to help a bit. It definitely helped with the condensation though. I did not have to worry about brushing my head or feet against the walls and soaking up condensation. Bumping the tent also meant frozen condensation fell onto the inner wall and down to the ends of the tent rather than on my sleeping bag.

During a major snow dump I set it up in my backyard to see how it handled snow load. It lasted 5-6 hours of wet, heavy snowfall before it collapsed and then popped back up to shape when the snow was knocked off. So not too bad.

My main concern is spindrift. The tent is designed for ventilation, so the dual vestibules set up with about 6 inches of clearance at the tips. Likewise, the ends have gaps of a few inches and it is not possible to set it up completely battened down.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Physiotherapy, taking prescription painkillers that cause Cheech & Chong moments

Ditto - please add any further impressions on the Rainbow.

BTW, Stephen, I do believe we have crossed paths professionally before. Think waay back to a certain Internet banking project [B)]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 04:42 PM

Where is eagleridge?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

OOO cool, but its weird reading a TR that was hoping for worse weather, hehe. The city sure did look pretty under those angry clouds!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

BeerSnob: PMed you! As far as size & weight, the Double Rainbow is just what I was looking for. It is very roomy -- I'm 6'1" and I can sit up in the middle easily and sleep stretched out without worrying about bumping the ends. Besides the fact that it is a palace for its weight, I really like the fact that you can pitch the dual vestibules as awnings. This allows for the great views you get when sleeping under a tarp without the bug problems.

greenhorn: Eagle Ridge is area just north of Coquitlam (Eagle Mountain, Cypress Lake, and Cypress Peak). I was specifically just south of Cypress Peak, also called Cypress Mountain on some maps, making it a confusing reference for those on the north shore.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Thanks for sharing your TR on this tent trail run, good to learn from those that have done it. That is a cool shot of the angry dark clouds.

Regards,
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:

I was hoping for worse weather
not something you hear often
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Farmer

Quote:

I was hoping for worse weather
not something you hear often
Better to learn the limits of your gear close to home than half way through a multi-day trip.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Summit Master

Interest: fiddling, hiking, climbing, dancing, photography, Tai Chi, running

looks like a fun test run. I never heard of this tent. Where does one purchase it and what are the specs on it. I know...I could google it but I just wanted to ask so that we don't all go googling the info if you've already got it
post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Physiotherapy, taking prescription painkillers that cause Cheech & Chong moments

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Scrambler

looks like a fun test run. I never heard of this tent. Where does one purchase it and what are the specs on it. I know...I could google it but I just wanted to ask so that we don't all go googling the info if you've already got it
That would http://www.tarptent.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page