New Igloo on Hollyburn - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:45 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: The mountains, top to bottom.

Your igloos always look nice, the right shape is a beauty to behold.
You said this one was fast and I'm sure the snow had a lot to do with it but I'm wondering if you have any idea how many you've built now. I find my experience and the team's experience make the biggest difference.
I have one buddy that has been building them with me for 10 years or so and it's a pleasure to build with him.
Cool that you carry on with igloos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Hiking, coping with fitness issues associated with aging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igloo Ed View Post
Your igloos always look nice, the right shape is a beauty to behold.
You said this one was fast and I'm sure the snow had a lot to do with it but I'm wondering if you have any idea how many you've built now.
Hi Igloo Ed.

Folks on Clubtread, Igloo Ed is the co-inventor of the Icebox ó the tool we use to make these igloos. He is a avid winter hiker and camper as can be seen on his Facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/Igloo.Ed

The shape of our igloos is different from the traditional igloo because it is a catenary arch: mathematically a very stable structure. It also means that the side walls are steep and that permits lots of room inside. The length of the pole from the centre of the igloo to the plastic 'slip form' is changed with every layer or course of blocks on the wall that we build, and that ensures the catenary shape.

How many have we made? I have no idea. I do know that we made our first one in the little park with a fabulous view of the City at the last switchback on the Cypress Bowl Road on January 23, 2000. Over the years, we made most of the possible sizes, with inside diameters of 8', 9', 10', and 11'. The 10 and 11-footers require moving a huge amount of snow. We never did build igloos to support overnight backcountry skiing. It may be because we have so many nearby outstanding backcountry hills that overnight trips, without showers and beer, seemed like too much trouble. And this spring we contributed to the construction of a new hut (more of a lodge) at Russet lake: the Kees & Claire Hut. << Check that out.

I think our group likes to make these igloos for the joy of playing with the snow, and together making something that seems beautiful. Like kids building a snow fort. I can imagine groups doing this as part of team-building.

Tonight, as I write, there are hurricane force winds (gusts > 70 knots) howling down Howe Sound and threatening to blow out our hydro power. Here on Bowen Island, we feel vulnerable. If the igloo has survived the thaw and possible vandals, I know that at this hour it is unmoved by this wind ó and inside the structure, tonight, all is calm, quiet, and secure.
alpalmer likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page