Rescuers find two hikers lost in Desert - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, travel, reading, movies, cooking, drinking wine, eating.

More from the SAR on the ground:

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote: Originally posted by Rusty Hoar on 25 January 2006

Mornin' guys and girls… figured I'd throw my .02 worth in here…

I was the team leader for the SAR team that found Allison. First off, let me say I have no doubt that she would have made it out on her own – she seems like a tough, determined lady. I think she was probably pretty close to hitting the wall, however. I don't think I've ever seen 2 bottles of Gatorade disappear so fast! I am glad that we encountered her when we did, as the information about Doug was radioed into base camp, and the whole search was re-directed as a result.

I, along with the other volunteers of the Sheriff's Dept and San Diego Mtn Rescue, by definition don't get paid - not with $$ anyway.

The scene of Verdi hugging Allison was enough to pay my salary for a couple of years. Makes it worth the 1000 or so hours each of us spends each year in classes, re-certifications, training, teaching, and actual searches.

In one of the posts Curtis Sutton mentioned GPS units with the SAR teams. Yep – each team had one. At least one. Some teams had one for EACH MEMBER. GPS's are a great tool, but only that – a tool. Not an end-all to navigation. In a deep canyon like Palm Canyon, sometimes the satellites are not “visible” to the GPS. So we revert to map and compass skills. There was at least one map of the area with each team, and each team member had a compass. Maps of anywhere can be had FOR FREE off TopoZone.com and a decent compass is relatively inexpensive. Another poster mentioned cottonballs and Vaseline – good tip. That, plus a cheap Bic lighter (it'll light if it's wet!) will start a fire for you. Signal mirror? One of those throwaway AOL CD's you get in the mail will work wonders. Or the inside of a snack chip bag, if it's foil lined (like “Sun Chips”). Actually found a couple of kids up on Palomar Mtn a few years ago when they used a bag to signal a helicopter.

Lost Person Behavior – or “how to intelligently guess where someone is going”…. A good source is http://www.sarbc.org/behchar.html#hiker from the Search and Rescue Society of British Columbia. In this particular case, the original “intel” we had was that Allison and Doug were last seen on the ridgeline at 3:15 pm on Saturday. Thinking that they had at least seen the rest of the group descend into Palm canyon, there was no reason to think they'd go anywhere else. Of course, Murphy's Law applies here too!

End result, everyone was found safe, a little worse for wear, and lots of sore feet and legs. No big deal. A good learning experience for all, and definitely an adventure few will forget.

Rusty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

This has been a great read and a good learning tool. Thanks for taking the time to post this stuff here.
We've had discussions before on this board before about who carries the "10" and who don't and the differing philosophies behind those decisions. Definitely a good reminder to always be prepared.
Really glad to get the input from the SAR Team members! Hadn't really thought of the inside of a chip bag as a signal device before, not a bad little tip.

----------------------------------------
I'm not a typical anything, I'm atypical.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, travel, reading, movies, cooking, drinking wine, eating.

Maybe one of the mods could organize the lessons learned from this incident and post them in a sticky in the "Sign Up Board / Events" area? I'd hate to see the thread get buried and something like this happen to a group of ClubTreaders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CWF

Maybe one of the mods could organize the lessons learned from this incident and post them in a sticky in the "Sign Up Board / Events" area? I'd hate to see the thread get buried and something like this happen to a group of ClubTreaders.
Bump! I didn't see this post until today when I was perusing the "anniversary trip reports" on the top 10 page, but...I've seen this kind of situation on a few group outings. Fortunately nothing bad happened on any trip I was on, but a few times I've seen the faster group disappear around a corner, while the person at the back is struggling and perhaps decides to turn around, but has no way of communicating this to the people in the front. Meanwhile the people in the middle are waiting and wondering what happened to the person in the back, while having no idea which direction the faster group went. Etc Etc. It's OK to break up into subgroups as long as there is some communication as to what's going on.

Great post, CWF, if you are still around
post #20 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

(4 years to the day after initial post)...
It's reasons like this that make me a little nervous of organizing hikes.
Good point bringing walkie talkies, I do that.

post #21 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

There is a guy still missing near Mt.Myra-Van.Isle, about 1978. Bressler, I think. Went looking for his remains about 1978 and 1979, Tennant Lake. He got separated. From america.

Tough country, never leave the trail if you have to drop behind.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

(4 years to the day after initial post)...
It's reasons like this that make me a little nervous of organizing hikes.
Good point bringing walkie talkies, I do that.
Regarding organizing hikes:
Especially if: you don't do it a lot; it's an unofficial group; people don't know each other, or don't know each other's hiking abilities; it's a more technical trail...
12 is too many people. Some people can do that, and it's fine, but one of the best ways to limit your trouble is to limit the people.

If it's an unofficial trip full of people who don't know each other's abilities, and where you could get quite the range of backgrounds, keeping it to 6 people will help a LOT. Then you can simply require everyone to stay together at whatever pace necessary, and avoid the group spreading issues. I also will only take groups out on trips that are WELL inside my abilities, and without too much danger period.

When I want to go try something that is a challenge, I call up a coupld of friends whose abilities match mine, and whose skills I know well, and I don't invite wild cards along.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for this wonderfull report, carring ten esential is a must. Now I feel better about the extra weight in my pack, and see hiker just carring water.

Carlos
post #24 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Bump. I pretty much just lurk on CT now but some of these older threads are worth re-reading.

Not sure why this thread moved over in to the BC Trip Reports section though...
post #25 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CWF

Bump. I pretty much just lurk on CT now but some of these older threads are worth re-reading.

Not sure why this thread moved over in to the BC Trip Reports section though...
I read this with great interest, not realizing it was an old thread and I was about to comment on the phenomenon of large groups splitting up....when I saw that I already did (I must be getting forgetful). It bears repeating. I've seen a few dodgy situations, as I mentioned before.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Another reminder, a 99 cent "Mini" bic can save your life. Not only keep you warm, fire/smoke signals.

post #27 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Headed for the Mountains

This was a great thread... thank you for re-posting it. My hat is off to any who takes groups out, the personalities, skill levels and so much responsibility. It's one thing if it is your job. Volunteers who take adolescents and young adults out so they may have a taste of we all love, deserve way more credit then they receive. The stress when things go astray, has to be incredible. Not to mention our blame culture media and all the arm chair critics. Its amazing to me that anyone takes on such responsibility. I am humbled by your spirit of giving.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page