Coliseum, Burwell, & Cathedral Aug 24 05 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: 10%
Default Coliseum, Burwell, & Cathedral Aug 24 05

After carb loading the day before (and a hike up the Grind), I set out at around 8am from the top of Lynn Valley Road. I bike to just past the nine km marker in the Seymour Valley and turn left up an old logging road. At a washout I ditch the bike and start hiking up the trail that will get me to the Seymour Valley lookout at around 1040m (also known as Paton's Lookout I believe).

From here, views of todays objectives are in sight. I drop down a bit and then follow the trail up to where it meets up with the regular Coliseum trail coming up from Lynn Headwaters. Soon enough I am on top of Coliseum (1441m).

Looking at Burwell and Cathedral from Coliseum.

After some refreshments and photography I head on over towards Burwell. Passing the nice looking tarn on route.

Crown Mtn. from the tarn.

After a bit I'm standing on top of Burwell (1540m) and the views are pretty damn good, so I'm getting busy with the camera.

1. Looking off towards Tantalus and Alpha (I think).
2. On the summit of Burwell, Cathedral behind. Sky Pilot rear left and Pinecone Lake summits rear right.
3. Looking down towards Palisade Lake.

Now the fun begins. From here I start to drop off the northern ridge of Burwell. Up high it looks pretty straight forward, but as you get lower down towards the pass there are cliff bands to work around or down climb. All goes well however and I grab a couple more pictures from the pass (1170m).

1. Looking at Cathedral and Burwell Lake on the descent to the pass.
2. The Lions, Harvey, Brunswick, Hanover, Peak 5400 and Windsor with Palisade Lake below.

The thrashing and bushwack starts about now along with the occasional piece of flagging and a sketchy trail here and there. I had a copy of GUM's TR from Bivouac.com and I was refering to it and it helped out somewhat, especially lower down. A few wrong turns here and there (got into some nasty cliff bands near the south face), some back-tracking and stumbling across flagging every once in a while kept me ascending. Further up, some red flagging appeared and a faint track along with some cairns on the rocky sections. All of this kept me on my toes, but eventually I was gaining the summit ridge. A few more ups and downs along with a couple of well placed pieces of tape (I gotta go through there?) and I was scrambling onto the summit which has the two radio repeaters and a helipad. Elevation up here is 1730m. Some serious elation going on for me right now as I've been wanting to get up here for many years. Some pain too as I look at my bleeding legs from the bushes I've been thrashing through.

1. Black Tusk and Garibaldi.
2. The Sky Pilot Group.
3,4. A couple of northward prospectives, with an elated me in one of them.
5. This is what sits atop Cathedral.

1. Looking back towards the twin summits of Burwell with the city behind.
2. Me just below the summit area.

Well, I can't stay up here all day (though I sure would like to), so I start to make my way back down. On the way up I ran a track log with a few waypoints on my GPS, so along with that and some luck along with the faint here and there trail and flagging I made my way back down to the pass. From here I regained 370m back to Burwell and continued on until I got to the tarn.

Oh boy, did it ever look inviting. Nobody else around, so I stripped down and went for a quick dip. Very refreshing indeed. Took a few more photos whilst hanging out there too.

1. My right leg.
2. Hanging out in the tarn[][:0].
3. Cathedral and the tarn.

Just some horseflies around, otherwise a relatively bug free day. I get dressed and head on back to Coliseum. Somehow I got a little off track decending from the summit, but a quick back track put's me back on the trail.

Seymour Lake. Drunk by many, seen by few.

Nearly all down hill from here and then it's the bike ride out to the vehicle and I'm finished. 21km of biking, lord knows how many km's of hiking, but I worked out the cumulative elevation gain to be approx. 2500m and the total trip time was a little under eleven hours. Which would make it one of my longest days on the trail.

----------------------------------------
Hike Naked. Hang Out In The Backcountry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Stellar! Burwell looks so much smaller from up there [8D]

This shot looks intriguing, especially the gully on the left.
Sounds like we'll be talking about this trek for a while. Well done, I know that was hard work as well as lots of fun.
Cathedral was first ascended by Basil Darling, I think, in 1908, btw.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 01:28 AM
Summit Master

Wow ! what a marathon day... ahhh to be young again
Great report!!!

"No Trail is Long with Good Company"
Russ S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 01:52 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing, Hiking, Snowshoeing, Biking.

Inspiring stuff Simon. I'm sure that this will be the start of a long list of congratulatory comments. A picture is worth a thousand words - your battered right leg. Great work!

Tyger Tyger, burning bright, In the forests of the night; ~ Blake
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 07:37 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonc

Great job Simon, that's a huge day. Quite an array of interesting photographs you have on this here report
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 08:28 AM
Nis
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Gettin out, Hiking, 4x4ing, Bit of Biking, workin on the truck, and of course drinkin beer!

Great Job Simon, looks like alot of fun.

Take the high road
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Way to go Simon! That's a serious hike! Looks like you picked a stellar day weatherwise.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 10:16 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, mountaineering, snowshoeing, snowboarding, AT skiing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonc
You are a machine, Simon. A machine! [8D]

"Hope for the best; plan for the worst"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 10:38 AM
High on the Mountain Top

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 01:01 PM

Very impressive simon! I did it as an overnighter trip. I was quite sure that one day trip is not resonable for this one.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Aye Carumba, Simon
No offense, mate, but I'd rather have seen what Doug saw swimming in that tarn,lol
A fine athletic accomplishment, that was. I had it figured the Paton approach to Coliseum would save at least an hour, which seems about right .Views looked not as hazy as when we did Burwell Ridge, but the rock up there is a treat, isn't it?
Also, nice shot of Garibaldi![]

Best pool you've been in this summer?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

zoom-zoom

simon how long do you think it would take you to do cathedral from lynn headwaters going in via norvan?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 01:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Seriously active hiker/ mountaineer/ canyoneer

Geez Louise, Simon! Big day! Congrats on getting the long-desired Cathedral ascent. One I'd love to do as well, but would need something extra to manage in a day (like an extra me to replace the broken one)
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Simons got I.L.S.

Nice report.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 01:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Wow, fantastic stuff Simon! What a monster day! I had actually been wondering if this was feasible and you've shown that it is. Thanks for sharing the report with us!

PB

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page