Cheam - The Moses Perspective - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Summit Master

If one can get some bags of cement,that would help,then some smaller boulders can be placed firmly into a barrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 05:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking, music, art, wood working, hockey. Any thing that takes too much time, effort, space and money.

I'm definitely in for any kind of construction (hey, that's what I do!), set a date, I'll haul materials, rocks, whatever to keep these bastards out!
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 01:48 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Whatever puts a smile on my face!

Count me in as a volunteer!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:36 AM

Looks like there could be fish in that stream...
post #20 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Yeah exy and I were kicking around the quickdry cement idea. We emailed the Fraser Valley Regional District (it's their juristiction now) to see if they were either planning on doing anything soon, or if they could supply materials for someone else to do it. We'll wait (but not for too long) and see.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

Very funny - thankyou for the laugh Moses

Exscape, BillyGoat, if you organise a workparty I'd be more than happy to help out, it looks like you have a tough challenge ahead of you with this project. I'd really like to see some success in your efforts [^]
post #22 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Somewhere between pomp & circumstance, British Columbia, Canada.
Interest: Hmmmm?

TIm,Jenn, we must keep in mind that we can make it difficult for ATV's to go past, but the motorbike easily made it between the posts. Barring intalling a PNE type turn-style, we must collectively figure a way to keep out the Kawasaki 125's.
Anyone have any ideas??

----------------------------------------
Animals are my friends...and my friends taste good barbequed!....except for C'Jacks friends. That would be wrong.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 03:06 PM

oh i've got plenty of ideas on how to keep those 2 wheeled SOB's out of there, are any of them legal? well what does the word legal really mean??????

Perhaps an actual baraccade with a couple openings wide enough to walk through but not fit a dirt bike through would be the key? Perhaps no openings at all and just give the barrier a leg over. A small inconvenience on our behalf would be an acceptable price to keep the area safe...In my opinion at least.

seriously though, I'm all over helping out with this project when the time comes.

btw, Awsome trip report moses.

"You will both be just humans, tied to the same rope, saving each others lives withought a word."
post #24 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Tim's got a good idea for a gate that would allow hikers through but not two wheeled vehicle traffic.

We just need approval/funding from the FVRD first. Working on getting that still.

As per the FVRD parks list. Cheam is the first official trail that falls under FVRD jurisdiction. Under the bylaws, motor vehicle activities in parks is forbidden. I believe this could easily be expanded to cover trail systems as well.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Remember those stupid VietNam movies we had to sit through during the eighties? Maybe we can get some ideas from them to keep the ATVing doofuses out.

Whoops! Did I say that or just think it? Bad dog! No bickie.

I'm all for lending a hand. Work schedule depending, unfortunatly. Just let me know.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Banned

How about a nice BIG crossditch - about 8' wide and 20' deep, with a single log bridge across?
In the Okanagan, there are fences where you must turn sideways to go through. People can walk past, but cattle (or any sort of ATV's or bikes) cannot because they can't bend!
The setup looks something like this from above:

As you can see, it's easy for a humanoid to get through, but nothing larger.
Failing that, there's always barbed wire!

Pop can stove-making hiker wannabe that drives a THUMPER to trailheads!
post #27 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Yes very similar to what I was thinking of Shadow. Such a fence could be built at the true trailhead, where the trail is fairly narrow and very bushy on either side.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 12:01 AM

The maze gate probably should be constructed from boulders, a wooden one would suffer the same fate as the bridge. A good place for it might be between the existing barrier and the trailhead mentioned by BillyGoat, a place where it is too steep to go on either side of it.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

We were thinking cement and welded steel piping. Wood is too burnable and boulders can be towed away[V] Or else they'd have to be pretty darn big boulders and I'm not entirely sure how one would get them down the narrow road to the landing.

(and if we're building a concrete/steel gate it might be best to have it start at or near the parking lot[}]
post #30 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

FWIW, here's a barricade that BC Rail made near Starvation Lake to keep the 4x4's from crossing the tracks. It consists of actual rails driven into the ground. I would imagine getting rails up to Cheam and the machinery to drive them in would be kinda tough though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page