ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Tomyhoi Peak

Thread: Tomyhoi Peak
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
oriana
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking/Scrambling, Backpacking,cycling,photography, Travelling, Theatre/Arts....Exploring and Living!
Default Tomyhoi Peak

My first very difficult scramble. I have decided I need to gain more experience on vertical terrain..or semi vertical anyways.

The trip was 9.5 hrs roundtrip. We enjoyed and went at a moderate pace.

The beginning is super beautiful as all the flowers are out. It was amazing walking thru those meadows. The views were grand. The sun was very HOT! So it made for heatstroke.Thankfully there were creeks along the way where we could dunk our hats into..and/or our heads.

Once you begin the scramble, it becomes more technical. The crux was ok going up it..I was a bit scared, but just looked up and climbed. The holds were great. It didn't seem to bad going up, until I looked down and realized I would have to get rescued from the peak. Having rope and a light harness for someone like me would have been great. I would have felt safer rappelling down. Radmilla who organized the trip was great, she was below me as I was close to tears and passing out from being so scared..she lead my feet...Another member Dean was above me trying to keep me calm..that didn't work I did go in over my head I think. I am a good climber of rock, but the exposure is what did me over.

I will have to work on that exposure thing before I go on another trip that requires more technical skill. Thankfully the crux was a short portion,as the rest was pretty good and straightforward. The trip was incredible.

Here are the pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3334391...7606784641002/

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome