Kananaskis Destruction - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Ger
Headed for the Mountains

Default Kananaskis Destruction

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...naskis-country

Here we go with more logging in K country. Why can't the gov't pay these companies off and save our forests. Also read that the Mustang Hills in the Elbow Valley is about to be logged. Spray Lakes sawmills says they are going ahead since there are no official trails in that area. This after the Ford knolls were destroyed and logging around Powderface ridge. The area around Belmore Brown peak was logged around 50 years ago and was not replanted and looks terrible. Don't these companies have to replant and restore the land?This is one of the closest recreation areas to the city and should be saved. I guess money is always more important then environment. I have read that Alberta has some of the highest deforestation rates in the world. I guess this will end when there is nothing left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:55 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger View Post
I guess this will end when there is nothing left.
That is true on much larger scale than Kananaskis. Conservation efforts are ultimately futile because of exponential human population growth that demands more and more resources (until there is nothing left). Things can get delayed sometime, but never reversed.

But I feel your frustration & share the sentiment.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger View Post
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...naskis-country

Here we go with more logging in K country. Why can't the gov't pay these companies off and save our forests. Also read that the Mustang Hills in the Elbow Valley is about to be logged. Spray Lakes sawmills says they are going ahead since there are no official trails in that area. This after the Ford knolls were destroyed and logging around Powderface ridge. The area around Belmore Brown peak was logged around 50 years ago and was not replanted and looks terrible. Don't these companies have to replant and restore the land?This is one of the closest recreation areas to the city and should be saved. I guess money is always more important then environment. I have read that Alberta has some of the highest deforestation rates in the world. I guess this will end when there is nothing left.

While I'm in agreement that the province shouldn't have approved the logging in the Highwood, we should bear in mind that Kananaskis Country is a multi-use region with a complex set of land designations that range from the full protections of the Plateau Mountain Ecological Reserve (where you can't even camp overnight) to the highly regulated Provincial and Wildland Parks, to the Public Land Use Zones (PLUZ) where 4x4 off roading is permitted, and plain old crown land. Kananaskis was specifically created with the intent to allow some "well managed" extractive industries such as oil and gas and forestry (after all highway 40 and 940 is the forestry trunk road).

I'm hopeful that the recent attention being placed on protecting headwaters and the creation of multiple new Provincial Parks in the front ranges (Castle, BeeHive etc) and expansion of the Don Getty Wildland Parks will continue the ongoing trend of increasing protections in the area.

The real challenge will be providing the political pressure to continue these protections should the NDP lose the next provincial election (such as overturning the off roading phase out in the Castle)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page