Proposal to expand Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By howesound
  • 1 Post By 5thhorseman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Hiking, coping with fitness issues associated with aging
Default Proposal to expand Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area

I just received a communication from well-known backcountry explorer and author, John Baldwin. I'd like to share it here. He writes:

Quote:
Hello
There is a beautiful, small pocket of wilderness in the Coquihalla area that deserves to be protected. It is immediately south of the Coquihalla Recreation Area. I'm trying to raise support for a proposal to add this wilderness to the Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area.

More details of the proposal are available at:

http://www.johnbaldwin.ca/coquihalla-park-expansion.asp

I am reaching out to clubs, organizations and individuals to try and raise support for a proposal to expand the Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area. Please consider supporting this proposal by writing a letter to your government. I am also listing organizations that endorse the proposal on the website.

Sincerely
John Baldwin
WildernessMan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesound View Post
I just received a communication from well-known backcountry explorer and author, John Baldwin. I'd like to share it here. He writes:
The Coquihalla is my favourite hiking/snowshoeing/adventure destination! Are there plans to develop the area south of that? I can't imagine what they would do there.

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:06 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Any good snowshoe destinations in that area? I've seen a lot of summer trip reports to the area, but none in winter. Looks like the expansion would triple the park size. Sounds good to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
Any good snowshoe destinations in that area? I've seen a lot of summer trip reports to the area, but none in winter. Looks like the expansion would triple the park size. Sounds good to me!
Coquihalla is awesome all year round. My first experience was Flatiron Mountain, followed by Needle Peak in the winter as snowshoeing adventures. Both are difficult. I did Ottomite as a winter snowshoe as well, and it was intermediate. In the summer I've completed the Yak to Nak traverse, which are intermediate with some technical skill required. Zoa I did in the summer as well and it is quite easy. Keep in mind that once you're past Hope you absolutely must have winter tires. I do recommend chains if you're going up the Coquihalla since it gets crazy up there!

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 02:01 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Yeah, I'll be heading to Kelowna this weekend. Love driving over the Coq in winter!

Good to hear about what you are rating as intermediate snowshoe trips. Have been thinking about Ottomite. I would recommend Alpaca-Zupjok.
treord8 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page