Save the Wild Horses of the Nemiah Valley - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote from Peter: "Just wanted to bring this thread up again, as I am still interested in the questions raised being answered."

Can't answer your questions about the wild horses in BC but you might be interested as to some of the problems of the wild horses in Nevada.

This from another list:

This just happened this past week in Reno, Nevada. The letters were from school children writing to the Nevada Senator about the Wild Horses...

It was Wednesday afternoon. Nevada Pony Express President Larry McPherson checked out his gear. He had picked up his mochila (mail pouch) from the museum and was readying his outfit for another Pony Express assignment. The next morning he was to ride to the Federal Building in downtown Reno and deliver nearly 1,000 letters that school children had written to Senator Harry Reid.

However late in the day the phone rang and the message being delivered was simple. The Senator would be far too busy that day to stop and accept a bundle of letters.

"Unbelievable," said McPherson. "Here a thousand kids take the time to
write letters and Reid can't be bothered to come downstairs and receive
them."

"It showed real arrogance," said an unidentified horseman gathered for a conversation on the subject at a benefit breakfast in Lyon County. "Since most of the kids won't be old enough to vote before Harry retires, he probably doesn't care."

(Since this news bulletin was written on a weekend, there has been no opportunity to get a direct quote from Senator Reid's office. This story will be continued.)

Now if you have an idea as how to get the wild horses of BC on the voters list, since we have an election coming up, maybe......just maybe someone in government will get involved............but don't hold your breath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Wife, family, reading, walking, exploring, looking at maps, genealogy, history, church community, garden, friends, dahlias, rock walls, my wonderful classes, colleagues at work, the list goes on.

Any answers yet, Rider? Still interested!

----------------------------------------
Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Asissi
post #33 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

At the risk once again of having Rider deride me, I quote from Paul St. Pierre "The Chicotin Indians had no horses in the 1880s. They had no word for horses in their language. They referred to the Hudson's Bay men as elkmen, in reference to their use of the horse."

The 'wild' horses of the Chilcotin are descended from escaped domestic stock. Some have survived for several generation, as domestiic stock escaped or was abandoned since about the time the first Europeans arrived.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote: "At the risk once again of having Rider deride me, I quote from Paul St. Pierre "The Chicotin Indians had no horses in the 1880s. They had no word for horses in their language. They referred to the Hudson's Bay men as elkmen, in reference to their use of the horse."

Getting a little off topic here but interesting just the same in my opinion is a quote from Hilary Place in his book "Dog Creek A Place In The Cariboo" Chapter 13 on Sam Sault John, a native, indian, first nation........what ever they are called today. In 1923 Sam went out hunting and shot this animal.......much to his surprise he didn't know what it was, it wasn't a deer nor an elk or anything that his people had seen..........what was it?.........it was a moose.........and where is one of the best moose hunting areas today..........yes your right if you selected the Cariboo........you should read this book (if your an equine person) as it tells the problems of taking the team of horses out to drag this big black creature back into the ranch since the critters of that area had never seen or smelled this creature before.

How do I know this, I lived in Dog Creek in the very early 1950's as my dad ran the power plants on the Dog Creek Airport for the DoT (Department of Transport)
post #35 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Sorry folks! I've been extremely busy and haven't had a chance to stop by the 'mother site' lol.

I will adress these quesitons as soon as I can

Rider
post #36 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I don't usually forward E-mail messages to this site but since there are two pages on this I thought someone might be interested.

-----Original Message-----
From: Friends of the Nemaiah Valley [mailto:info@fonv.ca]
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 5:11 PM
To: Friends Of Nemaiah Valley
Subject: Tickets on Sale-Mustang Valley-April 19

Hello All Friends of "Friends of the Nemaiah Valley";

Buy your ticket now! Where else in B.C. can you enjoy an evening of
Stunning Images; Live Music; Original Art; Cowboy Poetry; Free Wine;
Fascinating Conversation???

a.. On Tuesday, April 19th, at 7:00 p.m., FONV will be hosting a unique fundraising evening at the Laurel Point Inn (680 Montreal Street) on Victoria's beautiful Inner Harbour.

We are delighted to have renowned wildlife photographer Patrice Halley and writer Andrew Findlay, creators of "Mustang Valley" (the current cover story in Canadian Geographic magazine) on hand for this event.

There will be a slide show presentation of Patrice's remarkable photos of the horses, the land and the people and a chance to meet with Patrice and Andrew and get the inside story on their experiences in the Nemiah Valley. This will be accompanied by live music from Juno nominee Jon and Tracy Tanis and Laura Doyle.

a.. Cowboy poet, Ernie Buckle, will recite one of his great poems.
Besides being a genuine cowboy, Ernie is also a genuine character and a big hit wherever he goes!

a.. Chief Roger William, chief of the Xeni Gwet'in First Nations, will talk about the unique relationship his people have with the wild horses of their traditional homeland. Besides being Chief, Roger is also the winner of at least 15 Mountain Races......This is a race that takes 20 minutes for horse and rider to get to the high point and a mere 1 1/2 minutes to race down!!!

a.. Jack Woodward, legal counsel for the Xeni Gwet'in FNG, will be present to discuss the court case as it continues in the B.C. Supreme Court. This case is breaking new ground in it's implications for First Nations and Land Claims in B.C.

Don't forget to bring your chequebook (or cash). During the evening, there will be lots of opportunity to bid on some desirable pieces of high quality art in a Silent Auction. Donations have been made by Ian Fry (original artist's proofs) and Ellie Archer (small bronze sculpture of a bear).

Patrice Halley is donating some framed original photographs and there will be a *well loved* saddle as well as a unique painted paddle by Lori Gordon....something for everyone's taste. More information and photos about the art work will be posted on our website (www.fonv.ca) about the art work in the coming week.

AND there will be a complimentary glass of wine for all attending, as well as tea and coffee.

DVD copies of the documentary, "Wild horses; Unconquered People" will be available by donation to FONV. (Cheque/cash only)

Tickets for this event are $35.00 each or 2 for $50.00. Please plan to
attend and have a wonderful evening of entertainment. There will be a
limited number of 250 tickets sold.

Tickets are NOW ON SALE at:
a.. Munro's Books (1108 Government St)
b.. Western Canada Wilderness Committee store (651 Johnson Street)
c.. Ivy's Bookshop (2188 Oak Bay Avenue)
d.. Tanner's Books (2436 Beacon Avenue, Sidney)
e.. Soap Exchange (1393A Hillside Avenue - corner of Hillside & Cedar
Hill Rd.)
f.. Shanks' Pony Tack Shop ( 2140B Keating X Road)
For more information, contact Sibylle at 250-592-1437 or Pat at 250-592-1088 or email info@fonv.ca.

Proceeds from this event go to support the Wild Horse Ranger Patrol, a
program unique in Canada to protect the wild horses of the Chilcotin.

Seeya there!

Pat Swift
www.fonv.ca
info@fonv.ca

[?]
post #37 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. I can't go.

Simon Fraser reported seeing ppl on horseback in 1808 he mentions thier pretty heads and high tails.. that would be spanish stock. Horses that crossed the continent. Im not here to argue or 'deride' u directmule. I like you alot. I'm just trying to save some horses.
The majority of them have 'swamp fever' and once caught they die. I just learned this from a local to Nemiah.

Rider
post #38 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote: "Im not here to argue or 'deride' u directmule. I like you alot. I'm just trying to save some horses. The majority of them have 'swamp fever' and once caught they die."

I like horses also.........where else would I get my mules from?[}]

You are right in saying the majority but wild horses in that area having that disease............I question that but again you are correct to a point. 60% to 75% of annimals getting it do die if no treatment is avalible to them........which in this case is true. But
where they live and the terrain they run on is not a highly type of area to get this disease.

Check out:

http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/...cts/89-114.htm

http://www.antechdiagnostics.com/cli.../pdf/12-00.pdf
post #39 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

OK at first your sarcasm was funny, now I'm not enjoying it. What did you do google swamp fever for two minutes and become and expert? Because I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm sure you'll go on a mad facts google hunt but your statments about swamp fever are laughable.

NOTHING you just stated about swamp fever is accurate. I'm not even going to entertain correcting that crap.

I can't believe I even have to justify and fight for a creatures right to exsist. Why the hate, Why not live and let live I will never know but its a sad,. sad time we live in. Good thing there are alot of goog people out there and alot of good things going on too amongst the bad,.
I think the horses will be ok!! I'm going to see them this summer

Rider

post #40 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Summit Master

Um, did you even look at those links Rider? I think he's trying to help you, not provide sarcasm. On this thread many people have offered valid thoughts and suggestions (directmule, Dru, Kooteneycat, Grizzled) and you are pretty defensive over the whole thing. From my point of view, I'd say you have blinders on, and only want to see what you want to see.

I'm not meaning to offend, but I'd give Directmule and Dru alot more credit for knowing what they are talking about than you have.

And as far as my opinion on the horses themselves to stay on topic, I say live and let live. Don't help them, don't harm them. The fact they are introduced is to me irrelevant, and they should be considered in the environmental impact assessment before the company logs that particular section.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

I'm pretty close with a few people in and near Nemiah. I'm going there for two weeks this summer. As well as having horses in and around my life for the last 25 years. Countless hours reading, working with them, studying. IF there is one thing I am an expert on its horses. SO I'm doing ok with the horsey facts and info thanks!
I got short with this tread almost before it started... I don't put much effort into it because the responses are weak. Like blackfly lending kudos to directmule and dru.. when infact they know sooo little about horses and the horses in Nemiah. Sorry but its true.

After five years of arguing I totally lost all patience. The argument that the Nemiah horses have no rights... At this point they have still have none. It frustrates me. You or I could go blast every one and leave them to rot and be perfectly legal.
Its not acceptable to me, it never will be. So in that respect I guess I do have blinders on. I don't want to hear any more crap or arguments why they shouldn't be protected. Thank you!!
You might think your hearing alot of ignorance and I am getting ignorant .. sorta mingle with the crowd ya know
post #42 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Summit Master

Perception is truth, I suppose.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote: "Like blackfly lending kudos to directmule and dru.. when infact they know sooo little about horses and the horses in Nemiah. Sorry but its true."

Well I really hate to shut you down again but I've owned, used & cared for horses for over 20 some years & have had mules for around 9 or 10 of those years................so don't tell me I know nothing about horses

Quote: "The majority of them have'swamp fever' and once caught they die."

I just sent you two links on swamp fever to read over.......that's all....if you're such an expert on it I wouldn't wait until this summer, maybe you should be up there now curing them!!

The point I was trying to make was they don't ALL DIE once they have caught it, like your post said and sent a couple links on it.

Quote: "After five years of arguing I totally lost all patience"

We can see that but after owning mules for 9 or 10 years I have learned to have patience...............if YOU want to get anywhere with your Save the Wild Horses of the Nemiah Valley ............I suggest you do the same.

I was going to send you a site for patience but you're probably an expert when it come to that also.
post #44 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Yep!! I'll go cure those horses of swamp fever lickidy split!! Right after a cure is manufactured [xx(]
YEp!! Just as soon as a cure falls out of the sky

Sorry I lost all respect for you direct mule but the verbal diareahh that you sling is bs. I can't help but get defensive and sling the $hit back at ya. Like saying the Nemiah isn't "where the disease lives and the terrain they run on is not a highly type of area to get this disease" Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight *Thumbs up* Like saying there is a cure Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight again. Like saying the horses don't die. Riiiiiiight. It might take five or ten years but they will not live out a full life.
The only use you can be of is to send letters and faxes to the ppl mentioned in the original post. Other than that move along

Take good care of those mules.. [^]

post #45 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Reflective thoughts-

This is a hot subject for me .. the hottest. I have to remember to step back and breath. Its hard on these longer shifts to keep perspective. What I need is a hike, that I will take care of tomorrow.
As for the horses, it is patience that will prevail so I'll bring it down a level so to speak. Slow and steady ..

For now, we all say things that are incorect sometimes. We try and avoid it but it happens. Especially with all the information and sources available. That said I accept responsability for the things I said wrong. Went astray trying to prove whos right ect. My thoughts are,. we each said some inaccurate statments. I can't dislike anyone who hikes least of all likes mules. That said you guys/gals are welcome at my campfire anytime [^]
Even if we drive eachother batty, all the different views and opinions should be valued!! [)]

Rider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page