Garibaldi's Wedgemount Lake - Glacier retreating - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, mountaineering, snowshoeing, snowboarding, AT skiing

Cross-posting this from here: https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...15&whichpage=2

Was thinking about glacial retreat and recalled this thread. Was up at Wedgemount again this Summer. Comparing to cdanes' images from 2004/05, as well as to 1976 and 1990, the recession continues. A friend went up with Karl Ricker recently to document the quantity of the retreat (~19m in the past year, apparently). Yikes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Headed for the Mountains

wow, there's even a noticeable difference since i was up there in 2009.

it's unfortunate that it's likely anthropomorphic related global warming that is causing these glaciers to recede at such an alarming rate. it's basically been proven, but what hasn't really been studied in depth is how past cooling and warming periods have affected the amount of glaciation at higher elevations and polar regions, and it will be difficult to conclusively do so. there is still a ( probably very slight ) possibility that this is somewhat part of a normal pattern.
generally speaking, though, i don't think the Earth has seen this rapid a melting period in a long time. scary...
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Bump!

Damn! Just pulled up this thread to link it as my contribution to a global warming thread elsewhere, and the earliest photos are gone.

Any chance someone has access to some 1970's or earlier shots? It's a pretty good thread showing how dramatic the change is.
Here's one from Panoramio, August 1977.

As panoramio is shutting down here it is again, technically "stolen" but I feel no guilt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wedgmount 1977.png
Views:	143
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	184753  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page