Mt Polley Tailing Pond Breach - Page 7 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Excavation, re-contouring, and re-vegetation of the stream channel. Determining which portions of the area outside the stream need to be excavated, and what can be re-vegetated as is or with minimal re-contouring. Likely stocking the creek with micro organisms, benthic macro invertebrates, fish, and any other native aquatic species.

It will take time, money, carefully planning, and manpower, but it is by no means impossible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alexcanuck

Spunky has been around long enough, with enough varied authenticity that I accept him as real, so his vouchsafe works for me.
Errrrrrrrr...For as long as I've been a member here, Spunky has been known as a "girl".

post #93 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 12:55 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Doh! I guess she is. Plenty of personas I know here I've never met, or met but never learned their clubtread persona. I rarely actually look at their profiles, I just base my opinion on comments made over time.

I still can't find the answer to my real on-topic question, though. Is the practically non-existent level of leaching seen in the tailings pond under treated water still as low when the tailings are under the water chemistry found in Quesnel Lake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Have you actually looked at the air footage? The creek is burried five times it's width in muck. The only way to "fix" it would to dig and create a completly new creek bed. How realistic is that?
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Farmer

Excavation, re-contouring, and re-vegetation of the stream channel. Determining which portions of the area outside the stream need to be excavated, and what can be re-vegetated as is or with minimal re-contouring. Likely stocking the creek with micro organisms, benthic macro invertebrates, fish, and any other native aquatic species.

It will take time, money, carefully planning, and manpower, but it is by no means impossible.
post #95 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Welcome to the forum. Maybe you can tell us something about yourself. There is absolutely nothing on your profile page and you have dropped in to comment on environmental subjects. Who are you?
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seasider

After planning to reply with quotes to a number of posts I decided not to at this time. It does annoy me though, when people post things randomly without much information and often based only on emotion.

It is my opinion that this spill is really quite trivial in the big scheme of things. The company(or more likely) its insurers will need to spend a huge amount of money and the end result will be a net gain of fish and habitat. No people are going to jail and the company won't go bankrupt and disappear.

Furthermore, regardless of what(mines) people think should be developed or not the world needs the products and is going to find them somewhere else if not here. We may decide to hold them for future or not develop them due to environmental concerns but in the long term(why not say 150 years) we will extract the minerals or someone else will for us at our loss. and as far as environmental regs go' ours our almost certainly better than most other countries mining the earth.

I would like to say that it is wrong for people to get emotional on this forum . It is unnecessary and makes otherwise intelligent people look like fools. On this point, I wonder why the moderator or owner of this site has not spent any time warning people of this and also maybe banning a few members. I'm going to go out on a limb and see if that person holds other people to a different level than himself by suggesting the reason is because of a problem with being a lazy fat-ass.
post #96 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:21 AM
Summit Master

Quote:

Doh! I guess she is.

Is the practically non-existent level of leaching seen in the tailings pond under treated water still as low when the tailings are under the water chemistry found in Quesnel Lake?
The standing water in the tailings pond is no different than that in the lake. The water serves no purpose other than to be used to tranport the slurry through pipes to the pond. The whole purpose of the pond is to contain the tailings. Ponds are supposed to be designed wide and shallow so that the water has space to spread out and evaporate after it delivers the slurry and it settles out.
post #97 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

quote]Originally posted by Hiker Boy

Quote:

Doh! I guess she is.

Is the practically non-existent level of leaching seen in the tailings pond under treated water still as low when the tailings are under the water chemistry found in Quesnel Lake?
The standing water in the tailings pond is no different than that in the lake. The water serves no purpose other than to be used to tranport the slurry through pipes to the pond. The whole purpose of the pond is to contain the tailings. Ponds are supposed to be designed wide and shallow so that the water has space to spread out and evaporate after it delivers the slurry and it settles out.
[/quote]

The standing water from the settling pond is now in Quesnel Lake. The tailings sludge has covered Hazeltine Creek to over five times it's normal width. Creek and river beds are not meant to be used as settling ponds.

post #98 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:41 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prother

Have you axtually looked at the air footage? The creek is burried five times it's width in muck. The only way to "fix" it would to dig and create a completly new creek bed. How realistic is that?
Very possible. Water courses are excavated and reprofiled all the time. Ever hear of a dredge? Streams in the gold fields have been moved from their original courses and back again many times over. People constructing dams and canals change river beds all the time. Even the Coquilhala and Coldwater Rivers were moved in some areas to construct the highway. Hell, even an old creekbed in my hometown of Logan Lake was opened up and renewed after it hadn't had water running in it for who knows how long....the building of the town golf course made it all possible.
post #99 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Prother: Google the Milltown dam in Montana. In the early 1900's, a large flood carried tailings from Butte to the Milltown dam, near Missoula. Unlike Mt Polley, these were potentially acid generating tailings, whick caused metals to leach into the clark fork. They have been dug out and the area reclaimed.

Quote:

I still can't find the answer to my real on-topic question, though. Is the practically non-existent level of leaching seen in the tailings pond under treated water still as low when the tailings are under the water chemistry found in Quesnel Lake?
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Farmer

I am on my phone, and do not know how to copy and paste links on this thing, but I will do my best to answer your question. Please feel free to Google "subaqueous tailings storage" for further info.
The ability of tailings (or any rock for that matter) to generate acid relies on four main components: sulphide minerals, acidophiles (bacteria that act as a catalyst), oxygen, and water.
If the Mt Polley tailings are high in sulphide minerals, which I doubt based on the pH of the water, then putting them at the bottom of a lake is in fact an excellent option. At a certain depth, you get into a low oxygen environment in which the acidophiles cannot live. Without those bacteria, the rock loses almost all ability to produce acid. Our environmental engineer has a couple degrees in micro-cellular biology, and has mentioned the idea that if you could find or develop a virus which attacked these acidophiles, you could end acid rock drainage with a test tube.
http://bit.ly/1oCO7sr
http://bit.ly/1oCO93z
post #100 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:27 AM
Banned

Quote:

It is my opinion that this spill is really quite trivial in the big scheme of things... the end result will be a net gain of fish and habitat.
Welcome to clubtread but please remove your head from your ass.
post #101 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Banned

A bankruptcy scenario for Imperial Metals:

Massive Disaster Costs:
The cost of cleanup, and remediation will run into the 100s of millions, not to mention civil judgements by stakeholders.

Loss of cash flow:
Mt Polley was counting on producing 47,000 oz gold, 44M lbs of copper, and 120,000 oz of silver this year, but is now closed, and won't reopen until the tailings dam can be rebuilt to the satisfaction and consent of all stakeholders.

Red Chris mine development costs:
The capital investment up front of Imperial Metals wholly owned Red Chris project is an enormous ongoing drain. Tahltan First Nations is blockading the access road to demonstrate their many concerns with this project. The design of the 330' tall tailings dam is seriously in question due to seepage. It is situated at the headwaters of the Stikine river, and jeopardizes a billion dollar Alaskan salmon industry via transboundary headwaters, a billion dollar tourism industry, and First Nations traditional land use should there be a dam failure.

http://westcoastnativenews.com/break...ed-chris-mine/

Senator Begich Contacts State Department About Protecting Alaska Fisheries
http://riverswithoutborders.org/blog...aska-fisheries

Tailings Dam Failure Emphasizes Risk to Southeast Alaska's Salmon
http://riverswithoutborders.org/blog...alaskas-salmon

Canadian Mines Threaten Southeast Alaska Salmon, Tourism and Tribal Resources
http://riverswithoutborders.org/blog...ibal-resources

Mount Polley spill could affect whole mining industry
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle19966901/

post #102 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Candy Sack

Quote:

It is my opinion that this spill is really quite trivial in the big scheme of things... the end result will be a net gain of fish and habitat.
Welcome to clubtread but please remove your head from your ass.
Dear Candy Sack, please allow people to state an opinion, regardless of your take on things.
Trivial compared to the world , yes, trivial compared to Britannia mines mess definitely not.
post #103 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Banned

^Sorry I can't help calling BS when I see it.
post #104 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Candy Sack

^Sorry I can't help calling BS when I see it.
I have to admit that I am probably wrong about the part of my post regarding the net gain of fish habitat. Also I would like to apologize to the moderator(s) for my use of profanity in describing their moderating style. My opinion of this person does not change though, and I think they should step down and let someone else moderate. There could be a number of people who would volunteer.
It is great to debate things with people who post an opinion and who are passionate about the topic. Disagreeing with a post is fine but a silly emotional responses is not. (see Brucew's post above for an example of someone who disagrees with part of a post but does so in a reasonable manner).
post #105 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Scaling New Heights

[quote]Originally posted by prother

Welcome to the forum. Maybe you can tell us something about yourself. There is absolutely nothing on your profile page and you have dropped in to comment on environmental subjects. Who are you?[quote]Originally posted by seasider

Hello. I have been a member for about a year and have posted a few questions in the past on other forums.

My home is in Courtenay and I am male, early fifties,and have been retired for some time.

Thats all for now. I don't want someone accusing me of being a mole (I have visions of my property, eco-terrorists, tree stands and crossbows)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page