Gambier Island Logging - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!
Default Gambier Island Logging

A friend sent this to me. Just posting for information…I tried to go look at the petition, but website says there was too much traffic, and you can't access it.

Dear Brian:

Bowen's former Mayor, Bob Turner and his brother Tim are racing against time to prevent 20% of Gambier Island from being logged. Please read his email, sign the petition, watch the video (link below) and, please forward to your “Meet-up” friends, especially those who hiked Gambier with you.

Thank you so much. Howe Sound and Gambier have held a special place in our hearts for so many years.

Pam

Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:42 PM

To: Bob Turner

Subject: URGENT - please sign petition at www.gambierc.ca

Hi fellow islanders:

I am appealing for your help. Howe Sound, this astonishingly wild place at the back door of Vancouver, is in recovery. The dolphins and whales tell us so. A broad coalition of interests are coming together to protect of Howe Sound as a recreational jewel. But a few big mistakes in the next few years could set back this agenda for 30 years.

The most urgent issue right now is that the BC Government plans to issue logging tenures in the next few weeks for 20% of Gambier Island. The northwest corner of Gambier Island, an astonishingly beautiful wilderness, will be logged. In spite of assurances that only 1% of the land will be clear cut each year, the tenure is for at least 20 years, and will require a permanent road system. I have tried to capture the essence of this Wild Heart of Gambier Island and Howe Sound in a video http://youtu.be/N82GGzeobj4.

The logging is opposed by Gambier Island residents and the Gambier Island Conservancy. Please take just a few minutes to sign the petitions against this logging at www.gambierc.ca. We are hoping to add another 500 signatures this weekend. Please do this today as the government has indicated that they will issue the tenures in early May.

To log Gambier Island, for the puny returns to the public coffer (estimated at $1500 per year stumpage fees), and desecrate this jewel that can provide joy to many generations to come, would be a tragedy.

Attached are a series of images that my brother Tim has put together about the proposed woodlots. Tim has used this wild place as an outdoor classroom for his Sea to Sky Outdoor School for 20 years.

Here are some facts from the Gambier Island Conservancy

1. The proposed woodlots are located in a pristine Wilderness Conservation Zone.

2. The woodlots include Gambier Lake, a designated Provincial Recreation Site.

3. The woodlots include a community watershed and a network of much loved trails used by residents, visitors, church camps, and outdoor schools.

4. Forest ministry (FLNRO) did not consult with the community when establishing new woodlots.

5. The planned shoreline log dump is immediately adjacent to the Douglas Bay community subdivision and a shoreline campsite; and

6. The value of annual government stumpage fees ($1500) is insignificant compared to recreational values that would be lost.

Media coverage on this story

http://globalnews.ca/news/1287671/ga...logging-plans/

http://www.coastreporter.net/article...89973/-1/seche
lt01/islanders-fight-gambier-logging-plans
>

Chaos, Panic & Disorder----my work here is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Everyone, please sign this petition.

Also, write letters to people who matter.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Lovely video. Can tell how much it means to you. And rightfully so!
Signed both petitions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Signed.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:25 PM
Scaling New Heights

This is horrible. Gambier should stay wild.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: mountaineering, backcountry skiing (telemark), rock climbing, search and rescue volunteer

Wish someone cared about this when they logged the area around Douglas Bay where I spent a lot of my childhood. That place used to be a paradise (second growth of course). They don't seem to care when it's real estate and summer homes.

Now the trees will never grow back, and people "own" the land where I used to play, and can kick me off.

At least a clearcut grows back.

Not saying don't sign the petition, just wish people thought that destroying a chunk of land for waterfront property warranted some protest.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Signed. Posted to Facebook and got another 12 signatures.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oplopanax

At least a clearcut grows back.

Not saying don't sign the petition, just wish people thought that destroying a chunk of land for waterfront property warranted some protest.
It's often context that determines the response to these things. The denudation from the woodlot timber harvesting, even if its small Annual Allowable cut is not well distributed (as it should be), pales in comparison to the moonscape of Douglas point. That surprised me too. However, it's all in the label we give things. If it's called a 'subdivision' you can pretty well raze it to the ground. You call it 'logging' and everyone craps themselves, even if done on a very small scale, in an area-based tenure where opening sizes will be so modest as to encourage a flood of early, thriving regeneration of the three main coniferous species.

Gambier has a long history of extensive clear-cut logging, dating back to the late 1890's. Evidence of it is everywhere. In fact, the trail we love to hike from Lost Lake, turning west to Gambier lake, has some of the finest historic examples of elevated corduroy skid roads anywhere on the coast of BC. Even the trail along Lost Lake is, in part, an old corduroy skid road.

Not a single tree was ever planted by any of the gyppo loggers that dragged those massive pumpkin fir and cedar down to the ocean using oxen on greased skid roads. The now vibrant, diverse second-growth forests originated unaided by human hands. Nature is quite good at that, regenerating itself, i mean.

That said, were it up to me, I'd ditch the woodlot and revert the crown land on Gambier to Parks BC. Some things are just best left alone.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks Cali. for the heads up. I have been to the Gambier woods a bunch of times and always like it. It is nice to have a low elevation forest with quiet camping and a nice trail system close to the city. I wrote a letter and based on the response it seems to me that there is some awareness of the concerns. I'm not sure if the petition/letters will stop the logging, but it won't cause harm. EG, it could do some good by leading to some extra restrictions on logging especially in the areas near creeks, lakes and trails and by indicating that people support the work of the Gambier Island Conservancy people.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Off the Beaten Path

This is just sensationalism meant to play on people's fears. Typical "loggers are the bad guys" kind of stuff. Now, if somebody was proposing a ginormous gravel pit covering 20% of the island, then they'd have a beef.

The plan is to issue a couple of woodlot licenses.

They are NOT planning to log 20% of the island all at once, like they would have the gullible public believe! Since it will take roughly 100 years to log each woodlot sustainably, that means the amount of logging is 0.2% or so each year. It will be planted and become greened up, nearly invisible, within just a few short years.

The area is working forest, not park land, and it's gone through land use planning processes which, by consensus, agreed to that land use. Now because a few rich Fort MacMoney workers have bought property and can see that hillside, they want it as their own personal de-facto parkland. Too bad.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: mountaineering, backcountry skiing (telemark), rock climbing, search and rescue volunteer

Thanks for the insight @xj6response, I remember those trails well - I've hiked to most destinations on the island, used to work summers at Camp Latona. Canoed around the island when it was the largest log booming ground in the world. It always impressed me that although the island looked wild, there was signs of human disturbance everywhere - in the middle of what you thought was nowhere you'd come across tools, shoes, shovels, old logging equipment.

We used to raid the core samples when they thought that the copper at Britannia might be found on Gambier, so at one point it was possible that it would become a mine. We broke open the boxes and took the cores as "souvenirs", I guess those sheds are long gone.

As for turning it into a park, didn't Bowen island residents just vote against that?
https://wildernesscommittee.org/news...l_park_reserve

The people who "own" land on Gambier don't want logging, but they don't want other people on "their" land either.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oplopanax

As for turning it into a park, didn't Bowen island residents just vote against that?
https://wildernesscommittee.org/news...l_park_reserve
well spotted on the Bowen thing. I forgot about that

This preservationist movement is not about ecological integrity, it's about ignorance and self-interest. All the gnashing of teeth over the horrors the woodlots will inflict on Gambier is just hysteria, and flies in the face of the evidence in front of them.

The hack-job done at Douglas point runs to about 150 acres as I recall. An unsightly, ecologically defunct mess. At their worst, a dozen woodlots could not equal that wreckage. Where was all the hue and cry over that? As I said, it's all about context. Rape the land and call it a 'ski-hill' or a 'subdivision' and not a word is uttered in protest. Call it 'woodlot', even with the attendant management planning, referrals, site plans, reforestation, inventories, soil/creek surveys and you're a monster. It's just grinding hypocrisy.

BTW: like you I spent early years on Gambier, high school summers from 1972 to 1975 life guarding at Camp Artaban. Regular hiking trips pretty much every summer since. So yeah, I love Gambier too and will return as long as I'm able.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page