BC gov't exempts ski resorts from Env. Assessment - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Bumming around above treeline.
Default BC gov't exempts ski resorts from Env. Assessment

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/exe...089/story.html

This suspiciously comes into action jan 1st 2015, 2 months after the planned Jumbo resort's original environmental assessment is set to expire. While resorts will still need an environmental assessment from the ministry of forests, the provincial side requirement has been eliminated. Please at least read one article on the matter and contact your local MLA if you're concerned about this. Electronic petitions don't accomplish squat. Find your MLA here:

http://www.leg.bc.ca/mla/3-1-1.htm

We visited the area in 2013 and would hate to see it developed. I even spoke with the guy the spearheading the whole project, Grant Costello. He was overseeing soil sampling operations for the construction of a lodge below the glacier at the head of Farnham Creek. His best argument during a very civil conversation was that we environmentalists want to protect everything, and that there are enough protected areas as it it. I'm not kidding. Everyone has to make a living. I was surprised that this man was genuinely trying to convince me that the cat-ski operation would be the best thing since sliced bread, a great way to ski in the summer.

The fact that shovels haven't hit the ground yet is obvious: the funding is not there. Clearly this project is still desperate need of money, otherwise the operation would be up and running by now. The provincial government is handing out all it can, but still nothing has happened. There is even a Jumbo resort municipality in place, complete with a mayor. But wait, how can there be a mayor with NO constituents, you ask? well, this mayor wasn't elected. See what kind of a circus this all is?

I'll stop here, but once again I invite you to look into the subject and DO something. Call your MLA, send a PAPER letter, and consider donating to one of the organizations that oppose the resort's construction. It will only take you 20 minutes at the most.

Here's where you can start:
http://www.keepitwild.ca/

I'll lead by axample as I've just made a $100 donation. Again, that's about the cost of a week-end overnight trip around Pemberton with food and fuel. Make a donation and post your screen capture too!

Thanks,
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:29 PM
Summit Master

Dang Ben
This is going to be a CT variable discussion for sure.
These points need to be addressed, hopefully we can stimulate some realistic chat and inputs on the facts available.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:37 PM
HT
Headed for the Mountains

I thought they rescinded that nonsense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

This is a project that targets part of an ecosystem and habitat that is truly in need of protection, and this province has more than enough ski resorts as it is. The whole Jumbo project has been a clown show from day one
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

As HT says, apparently rescinded due to lack of consultation of First Nations, but worth keeping an eye on the topic anyway [B)]

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...tion-1.2613053
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Bumming around above treeline.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ClauS

As HT says, apparently rescinded due to lack of consultation of First Nations, but worth keeping an eye on the topic anyway [B)]

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...tion-1.2613053
That's really good news! I had not seen this, I'll admit. But it's not a reason to do nothing. The BC government has been on these people's side, and they will continue to be. None of these people will go away as they think there is a buck to be made. And if they do, there will be more people lining up trying to cash in. Squamish, Jumbo, Cayoosh - beautiful areas we hold dear will always be a target for opportunists. They will never stop, and that's why we can never let our politicians forget that without our donations and our votes, they are done for. We have to keep reminding them that they are public servants, and they serve us.

I'm still inviting people to donate. If you want to donate to a different organization, then by all means do so, as long as your dollars go towards the same goal.

Write your MLA and tell them you care. That's what the snowmobilers do, the ATVers, the boaters, the hunters. These communities stand together and when somethign isn't to their liking they do something about it. Their voice is heard by the politicians (their dollars are heard too), while we self-propelled folks pretty much whine about it and hope it goes away. I've been guilty of it too; it's easier to do nothing. But it's also very easy do do a little bit, and if everyone does a little but, we get results.

Once again - please take a few minutes out of your day, and do something if you care at all about keeping the wilderness wild and open for all.

B

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page