Wilderness Pet Peeves - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Wilderness Pet Peeves

I figure you all have them, and I am sure pages of answers could be posted. What brought this to my mind today, was on my favorite hike; gorgeous weather, great hiking partner when I saw that someone cut some deep marks into a tree. Kinda ticked me off, why someone would deface a tree like that is beyond me.
Getting up into the cave, not having been there in a few months, there was all this new fresh graffiti. What a terrible terrible thing to see, usually on most of my hikes I don't see spray paint...EVER. So it was quite a shock to see all these new tags with 2013 under them.
So I was just curious what fellow CTer's encounter on their trails and routes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Summit Master

sure you wanna start a rainy, miserable, nag fest?
CT has had alot of negativity
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I Know, Aqua Terra. It's good to get it out sometimes...letting it simmer inside of you is never good for you, better for the soul to let it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Summit Master

isnt there a pet peeve thread already? I thought we had a mega long one somewhere.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Summit Master

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

hahaha shows how much I lurk on here.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Summit Master

Yes but this is a WILDERNESS pet peeve thread so it's different.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

That is true. This thread is not about daily pet peeves that annoy you in the city.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

My pet peave is well constructed trails that are poorly marked making them difficult to follow in winter. Examples: Rainbow-Madeley Trail, anything in Manning Park.

But probably someone else's pet peave is excessive trail markers, or trail markers that are too high.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Summit Master

have at 'er then, bitch away. it will do so much good all around.Guess I'm getting old, thats my pet peeve.Dont have any real wilderness/ backcountry ones, besides whats been mentionned a thousand times before.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Summit Master

The usual for me: litter, large noisy groups full of people who shriek and yell "HEY!!!" from summits, yellow snow around huts (yuck), people washing dishes and bodies with soap directly in lakes, etc etc. But I was trying to think of something original and came up short. I kind of hate it when I forget my food at home; that's happened to me once on an overnighter. Also squeaky packs or odd things from my pack digging into my hips and shoulders, collapsing poles (I will never buy the twist lock kind again), blisters, owls flying into my head, and oh I've got one: people with bear bells on popular trails like Garibaldi Lake, especially when they never quite manage to get out of my earshot. A bit paranoid, don't ya think?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Bullet casings & trash dumped in remote areas. People spend more time and effort to dump garbage in the woods than taking it to the dump. People firing guns should have respect for nature and clean up after themselves.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

The usual for me: litter, large noisy groups full of people who shriek and yell "HEY!!!" from summits, yellow snow around huts (yuck), people washing dishes and bodies with soap directly in lakes, etc etc. But I was trying to think of something original and came up short. I kind of hate it when I forget my food at home; that's happened to me once on an overnighter. Also squeaky packs or odd things from my pack digging into my hips and shoulders, collapsing poles (I will never buy the twist lock kind again), blisters, owls flying into my head, and oh I've got one: people with bear bells on popular trails like Garibaldi Lake, especially when they never quite manage to get out of my earshot. A bit paranoid, don't ya think?
I spent a long time hiking behind some dude going up to Wedgemount who was blasting tupac from speakers, attached to his backpack attached to his ipod and massive batteries.

I would take bear bells over incomprehensible gibberish and swear words every day of the week.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:13 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sixwings

I spent a long time hiking behind some dude going up to Wedgemount who was blasting tupac from speakers, attached to his backpack attached to his ipod and massive batteries.

I would take bear bells over incomprehensible gibberish and swear words every day of the week.
I tend to agree, if you are going to play rap, at least play some eminem with gunshots n shit.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I hike it cause I like it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

I tend to agree, if you are going to play rap, at least play some eminem with gunshots n shit.
Funny quote of the week. For me, it's dog crap in plastic bags chucked just off trail, orange peels dropped right on the trail, people in runners and cotton t-shirts this time of year, at elevation, with no other supplies. These aren't my top three, just things I've seen in the last week.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page