Tar sands,the ugly truth! - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Tipping Point: Age of the Oil Sands

Thursday March 7, 2013 AT 8:00 PM on CBC-TV

Update: In January 2013, a team of scientists, led by Dr. John Smol from Queen's University, released a study revealing evidence strongly suggesting the Alberta oil sands have been sending toxins into the air and water for decades .They confirmed the groundbreaking research of Dr. David Schindler, documented in Tipping Point: The Age of the Oil Sands which originally aired on The Nature of Things in January 2011 . The new study shows toxins around the Athabasca oil sands have increased in areas at least 90km away. Levels of industry-related chemicals have nearly doubled since the 1960s, and have risen sharply since the 1990s.

Tipping Point: The Age of the Oil Sands originally aired in January 2011 as a two-hour presentation.

Highway 63 north of Fort McMurray, Syncrude base plant in background

Tipping Point: The Age of the Oil Sands is a two-hour visual tour de force, taking viewers inside the David and Goliath struggle playing out within one of the most compelling environmental issues of our time.

In an oil-scarce world, we know there are sacrifices to be made in the pursuit of energy. What no one expected was that a tiny Native community downriver from Canada's oil sands would reach out to the world, and be heard.

Directed by Edmonton filmmakers Tom Radford and Niobe Thompson of Clearwater Media, and hosted by Dr. David Suzuki, this special presentation of The Nature of Things goes behind the headlines to reveal how a groundbreaking new research project triggered a tipping point for the Alberta oil sands.

For years, residents of the northern Alberta community of Fort Chipewyan, down the Athabasca River from the oil sands, have been plagued by rare forms of cancer. They were concerned that toxins from oil sands production might be to blame. Industry and government, meanwhile, claimed production in the oil sands contributed zero pollution to the Athabasca River.

But in 2010, new and independent research measured pollution in waters flowing through the oil sands and discovered higher-than-expected levels of toxins, including arsenic, lead and mercury, coming from industrial plants. Leading the research was renowned freshwater scientist Dr. David Schindler (read more about David Schindler). At the same time, the leaders of tiny Fort Chipewyan took their battle to the boardrooms of global oil companies, demanding change.

Leading the campaign was Dene Elder Francois Paulette, whose battles with Ottawa a generation ago launched the era of modern land claims. From New York, to Copenhagen, to Oslo, to the oil sands themselves, our camera followed Paulette on his relentless search for allies. When he finally enlisted the support of Avatar director James Cameron, Paulette created a storm of controversy for the Alberta's oil sands industry.

By the end of 2010, Schindler's alarming discovery of toxic pollution and the media attention Cameron's visit had raised was putting federal and provincial environmental policy under serious pressure. Separate reports by Canada's Auditor General, the Royal Society of Canada, and a panel of experts appointed by then Environment Minister Jim Prentice revealed a decade of incompetent pollution monitoring, paid for by industry, in Alberta's oil sands.

Dr. David Schindler holding a fish from the river.

The documentary's climax shows how Professor Schindler's research findings, and the determination of Fort Chipewyan residents, led to change. In December 2010, the special scientific review by the high-level federal panel declared environmental monitoring standards in the oil sands seriously flawed. In a dramatic reversal of their previous position, both the Federal and Alberta governments announced steps to improve their pollution monitoring. The age of innocence for the oil sands is over.

Tipping Point was directed by Niobe Thompson and Tom Radford for Clearwater Media in association with CBC-TV. A theatrical version of the documentary, narrated by Sigourney Weaver, is now playing in film festivals around the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Watch it here...............http://youtu.be/qjA7_wgofp4
post #48 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

[u]The End off Growth</u>

Economist Jeff Rubin and environmentalist David Suzuki might seem an unlikely pairing. But they've been touring Canada together, talking about the natural limits to growth from their very different perspectives. We listen in as they try to convince a Calgary audience that we've already exceeded the capacity of the planet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks Monster,that was a great link! Listened to the whole thing,it was really interesting! I've actually been saying that for years,sure didn't make me any friends LOL.....I guess as with everything,time will tell.

Funny about David Suzuki,some people love him and some people seem to REALLY hate him! Years ago,I was given a book by him,and that's when I stopped buying "things". It made a huge impact on my life,and I can't think of anything negative to say about him.

About two weeks ago,an old coworkers dad,who I have exchanged emails with for many years got REALLY angry at me because I had sent him this

video about the tar sands,and something else about not shopping at Wal Mart. He told me,and I quote " I shop at Wal Mart because it's cheap! All that crap is just unions trying to badmouth them because they wont go union! As far as the tar sands go,wake up sweetheart,we need the f**ing oil!! All that shit is propaganda delivered by Greenpeace,and everyone knows what a bunch of psychos' they are! A logger from the Queen Charlottes' once told me he saw David Suzuki giving beer to the natives to get them to protest against clear cut logging! He's a psycho,and I'd believe a working man over those environmentalist pricks any day! You need to wake up and smell the coffee girly!"

I had a little cry because he hurt my feelings,but mostly because I know SO many people feel just like he does
post #50 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

I once engaged in a David Suzuki conversation with a bunch of people back east who, upon hearing me mention his name said to me...

Them: "Cant stand Suzuki, wish he'd just shut up!"

Me: "why cant you stand Suzuki?"

Them: "do you have any idea how much money the guy makes off his enviro BS, even for just a speaking engagement?"

Me: "do you have any idea how much Exxon Mobil made in profit last year?"

Them: "Ya but difference is they're not spreading lies!"

Me: "Oh really?"

Seems to me that most people I've met who complain about Environmentalists are actually just experiencing crisis of cognitive dissonance.
post #51 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Monster

I once engaged in a David Suzuki conversation with a bunch of people back east who, upon hearing me mention his name said to me...

Them: "Cant stand Suzuki, wish he'd just shut up!"

Me: "why cant you stand Suzuki?"

Them: "do you have any idea how much money the guy makes off his enviro BS, even for just a speaking engagement?"

Me: "do you have any idea how much Exxon Mobil made in profit last year?"

Them: "Ya but difference is they're not spreading lies!"

Me: "Oh really?"

Seems to me that most people I've met who complain about Environmentalists are actually just experiencing crisis of cognitive dissonance.
You have to be remarkably ignorant to charge that environmentalists are in it for the money.

Greenpeace International's budget is in the ballpark of $300 million. Sea Shepherd is about 10% that size. It only takes combining the salaries of a few oil company executives to equal those numbers. Let alone countless others rolling in the wealth and disregarding the health of our planet.

Environmental organizations, mainly Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd, have a few modest ships. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of private yachts larger (and possibly more opulently appointed) than even the biggest of the environmentalists' ships.

I guess if people want to look stupid by claiming environmentalists are driven by cash, then it's their choice.

An interesting observation is that how much people like Suzuki make, is irrelevant to their messages. Just like on CT, some people are utterly incapable of addressing the issues rather than trying to divert the discussion into irrelevancies.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page