ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Conservation Corner (https://forums.clubtread.com/26-conservation-corner/)
-   -   Midway,cross an ocean of grief :( (https://forums.clubtread.com/26-conservation-corner/44292-midway-cross-ocean-grief.html)

no quitting 02-14-2013 06:46 PM

Midway,cross an ocean of grief :(

" Until my gastly tale is told,this heart within me burns."
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Do we have the courage to face the realities of our times? To allow ourselves to feel deeply
enough that it transforms us and our future?

http://www.midwayfilm.com/

Pretty devastating!!! :(

solo75 02-14-2013 07:46 PM

The film starts out nice....then comes the shocking part.[:0] I'm not surprised at all the pollution and debris which is washing ashore everywhere. Closer to home, the Japanese Tsunami debris is starting to hit the northwest coast of the Island.

alpalmer 02-14-2013 08:12 PM

modern humans pretty much crap it up everywhere we go. look at outer space and the garbage we leave up there. The ocean garbage pool is ridiculously huge. sick.

KARVITK 02-14-2013 08:31 PM

We are a sickening species in general, and not to mention being greedy and selfish as well. .. Many endangered animals slaughtered by poachers for body parts, ie. Rhinos, Elephants, etc...

K

pmicheals 02-14-2013 09:35 PM

Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink. That is the reality of our destiny unless the course is changed. Many people find global warming to be an issue and indeed it is, but in my humble opinion we will succumb to the devastation of our oceans and water sources far sooner than from the impact of climate change.

xj6response 02-14-2013 10:38 PM

I remember watching the film 'the graduate' in the late 1970's, while at friend's place near UBC, where i was studying at the time. There's a great line in the movie where Dustin Hoffman's character is told by a family friend that the future, everybody's future is in 'Plastics' ... I thought to myself, 'My God, he's right, and we're all buggered because of it'

It's not because of the material itself, but because it is a metaphor for our modern world. 'Plastics' speaks to an unyielding, rampant consumerism with more persistence than any ecosystem can withstand. Like most consumer products nowadays, plastic is cheap, malleable, enduring and unassailable by natural organic processes. It's everywhere, it's awful and the most ardent conservationist will not yield their precious smart phone, tablet computer, water bottle or other plastic-filled gizmo, no matter how many birds die on Midway.

sgRant 02-14-2013 11:34 PM

When we hiked the beach at Naikoon Park, the amount of garbage made us think humanity had suddenly revolted against mindless consumerism and in a fit of further madness thrown everything made of plastic into the ocean.

nmcan84 02-15-2013 03:03 AM

someone needs to taint our water supply with birth control for the next decade,that will slow us down and also slow down the degradation of the earth.

vern.dewit 02-15-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by nmcan84

someone needs to taint our water supply with birth control for the next decade,that will slow us down and also slow down the degradation of the earth.
A bit harsh no? [}:)] (But some studies are implying that this is already the case - except there's also lots of 'blue pill' ingredients going in our water supplies too...)

Humans are stupidly naive - I'm convinced it's that simple. If there's only 100 people left on earth they will still follow one leader and will still consume more than they should. We are a species that is designed somehow to feel entitled and we just take, and take and take. As long as our next 5 minutes is fun enough to distract us from our own mortality we ignore the 5 minutes after that. And if it's NOT fun we will do almost anything to try and change it.

Rant over. For now. [8D]

HagensborgViking 02-15-2013 08:18 AM

no quitting 02-15-2013 07:11 PM

I remember that one......another show of brilliance for man :(

magnetite 02-25-2013 11:54 PM

I read a book a few years ago called "The World Without Us". It was very well researched and very well written. It discussed how the world would slowly return to a natural state if we suddenly all left. One of the things that I'll never forget was that, with the exception of those that were burned or left in direct sunlight for years, every piece of plastic ever made is still in existence. The pieces that are slowly degrading in the sunlit parts of the ocean are breaking down into ever smaller particles to the point where trillions of microscopic plastic particles are now effecting plankton on global scale. At the moment there is no natural biological process to break it down. Everything on earth is inadvertently consuming it. The only eventual solution would be a natural bacterial mutation that results in the ability to metabolize it. I wouldn't bet the farm on that.
Nature 'finds' solutions for things like this in time but paleontology teaches us that extinction is also part of the process as many organisms are unable to cope with substances they did not evolve with. About 2.7 billion years ago there was most certainly a global mass extinction of bacteria species due to the sudden introduction of large quantities of a highly toxic substance into the atmosphere - oxygen. That was likely the first time that the behaviour of an organism, one that produced oxygen as a waste product, resulted in the mass extinction of other species. Mass extinctions in the mean time have all been attributed to non biological processes such as asteroid impacts, volcanism and ice ages. The second time that the behaviour of an organism has lead to a global mass extinction of other species is currently in progress.

Monster 02-26-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by vern.dewit
Humans are stupidly naive - I'm convinced it's that simple. If there's only 100 people left on earth they will still follow one leader and will still consume more than they should. We are a species that is designed somehow to feel entitled and we just take, and take and take.
A small percentage of people may be naive, but there are far more who simply do not care. Some pretend and others are quite open about it but exactly who doesn't want a nice house, toys for summer and winter, a lush green lawn and a stock portfolio weighted heavy in hypocrisy?

Change will come hard and the messenger will be shot. Eventually a focused majority will breach that fragile veneer dividing today's consumption and common sense. As the drawbacks of cultural greed increasingly show up in profit margins rather than street protests the steady march of inevitable change will continue to ask us if we want to ride or be left behind.

In the end we will embrace change because we have no choice, the only question is how long will acceptance take and how much more needs to be lost before we can get there.

omegarun 02-26-2013 09:52 AM

try to go 24hrs of your life without touching plastic. It is almost impossible. Convenience will be the wall that stops the bus. Cell phones, PC 's and tablets all designed to be tossed after a short life. Do you paint when it needs it or when the colors are out of style? Check out any primary school and look at the lunches or rather the packaging. We teach our kids that food comes in sanitary single servings accompanied by a 1/2 lb of plastic. Those who can survive this plastic world will. the dawn of homoplasticus ?

no quitting 02-26-2013 10:54 AM

I had my last laptop for over 10 years,then I recycled it,my last cell phone for 6.....I realize thats shocking to most,but really,who gives a crap what colour it is???
I'm SO glad I'm old enough to NOT have to see the worst of it,but I feel really sorry for kids born lately,it's going to be ugly!!!!