IPP thing again - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Having lived thru the 90's when the ndp were out to balance the books at any cost, the hydro transmission lines maintenance and repair was put on hold because it would save money. It did at the time work but now the transmission lines need upgrading and that is gonna cost bigger bucks. I am in favor of Run of the River projects but not when it damages the fish habitat. IPP is a free enterprise in a capitalist system. Will be interesting when the ndp get in power again and the influence of their changes hits us all in the pocket book, AGAIN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

I think I am agreeing with you Bruce, I am pretty sure I would rather pay more money for power and be self sufficient and 93% green by 2020 than blast an LNG line to PR.

The interesting thing is, the NDP's plan only works as long as LNG stays low in price, if it goes up then more mines will go in needing more power and then blowing away their GHG commitments
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

It's not free enterprise when it is supported by government backing. Free enterprise stands or falls on its own, not with any and all market risk carried by the taxpayer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
HT
Headed for the Mountains

The Narrows Inlet project seems to be on hold for now:

http://wildernesscommittee.org/press...al_grinds_halt

Un-fricken-believable!, they actually planned to drain water from alpine lakes, to create power to sell to BC Hydro, that BC Hydro doesn't need!!!

Quote:
"B.C. Hydro documents released last week show a massive surplus of power that is costing the Crown corporation hundreds of millions of dollars every year, say the New Democrats.

“B.C. Hydro will lose nearly $300 million this year alone thanks to Liberal government policies that have resulted in high priced long-term contracts for (IPP) power we didn't need,” said New Democrat energy critic John Horgan."

The above quote is from an NDP newsrelease, not the above WCWC link.

"In an unusual step, the EAO also identified project “show stoppers” which included sedimentation risks associated with lake drawdown* and fish habitat losses that “exceed those typically allowed by regulatory agencies.” The EAO also described the proposed level of lake drawdown as “not mitigable”."

WTF??

I guess people writing in their concerns helps stop this insanity.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Thanks for posting. Small scale private power generation appeared to be a good idea; one operation in the Pemberton VAlley has its share of stressful and expensive startups. Good of them to generate a little power, no effect on fish in this case.

K
post #21 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KARVITK

Small scale private power generation appeared to be a good idea; one operation in the Pemberton VAlley has its share of stressful and expensive startups. Good of them to generate a little power, no effect on fish in this case.

K
Which project is this?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page