Ajax Mine - Dangerous Proximity - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Justifiable environmental concerns presented here, but that is the price of development. Taxes, employment, etc... are the benefits. As posted here, I imagine there are strict regulations drafted into the mine plan to alleviate the harmful effects.

I was at HVC and experienced the dust accumulation on my car, since the dome covers had not been completed as yet on the structures there, and they were already being used to funnel the crushed rock (dust) to be readied for processing. That dust by the way is rather sharp and gritting stuff that gets inside of your car windows when you slide them up and down. Had my windows screeching for over a year ..because of the grit accumulated inside.

This is going to be close to the city, this mine will likely be strictly monitored for compliance.

K

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Climbing, Skiing, Mountaineering, Guitar and Aquaria

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

In Kiruna in Sweden, which has the world's largest open-pit iron mine as well as Europe' s northernmost city (? didn't check that stat), they are about to move, or moved, the whole town about 3km because the town is starting to slump into the pit.
Yeah, but think about how many jobs will be created in the field of town moving!
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

http://www.amemining.com/s/Home.asp
Nice video , nice website, nice arguements so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Saltfactory, have you at least skimmed though the feasibility study? Several of the "facts" you are claiming are downright lies. ie:

"The maximum elevation of the tailings would be at about 1,022 masl along the west side, which will be approximately 92 m above the proposed TTP elevation."
pg 190 of the feasibility study, found at the link I posted above.

I don't know how 92m = 600 ft.

Federal permits (and therefor federal review) is required.

The stockpiles will be located in closed buildings for dust control.

The water will come from the same system that New Gold gets theirs from.

And most importantly,

There are already 2 pits and a tailings storage facility where the mine will be!
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

So farmer are you saying that this project won't harm the environment whatsoever?
Just curious of why you are so "With" the project.

post #21 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

The one tailing pile will actually be 150 meters(500 feet) high 3km long, 1 km wide and located directly next to the coquihalla highway. The other tailings pile on the other end of the site is going to end up 100 meters high, 1.5km wide 2 km long and located a short distance from the old Merrit highway and knutsford community.

New Gold would have gotten their water from kamloops lake in the past so thats not false information.

The envrionmental assessment is NOT BEING DONE FEDERALLY. I was informed of that on the Walk for BC rivers just last saturday when I was filming the group walk.

I hardly believe that dust will be "mitigated" by these buildings over the stock piles. There are plenty of other opportunities for dust to be made and spread into the town.

Did you completely miss the open pit mine and tailings pile that were in the video? If you know so much about this project you would think you would recognize that mine and the background.

You are getting all of your facts from the mining company itself and that is extremely biased information.

On top of all this easily accessible information Farmer is bringing up is the local political bullshit going on which he clearly has no idea about. There is more to this matter then abacus sugar coated preachings.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

I only got part way through the video. The internet in my part of the world is so slow that it takes ~10 minutes to buffer 1 min of video. Just downloading the tech. report took several minutes.

Aces, it is less that I'm in favor of the project (although I am), but more that I oppose the uneducated opinions from those who really don't understand the subject matter. Especially when they are allowed to LIE and mining companies have to tell the truth. Foe example, SF is calling waste rock piles tailings. This is a lie because he doesn't understand the process. He is getting facts from "Walk for BC rivers" (clearly an unbiased source, with years of professional experience), rather than from independent scientists who sign their reputation of the facts they write in the report.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Oh yes, I know how much a slow internet connection can suck. back in the 90's it just drove me crazy. Appears your behind in the times farmer.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

They are indeed called tailing piles by the way.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Ahhh ,let the personal attacks begin.

post #26 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Saltfactory

They are indeed called tailing piles by the way.
Hmmmn did a google check of tailings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailings
You now have a strike against you.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Hey Bruce,

There is the west tailings pile which I described as being 500 feet high 3km long 1 km wide and there is the east waste rock facility(100 meters high) which is next to the old merrit highway and knutsford.

post #28 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I have disagreed with F on at least one occasion ( he probably doesn't even know it ) but I don't have a problem siding with him this time. I see no conspiracy here. Seems people are always cranking out video and making noise on the net when it comes to some issue or another. Until humans get their act together and control population growth the "carrying capacity" of the planet will be compromised. Anything we do, in our vast numbers, compromises the environment. Video cameras etc etc require the mining of exotic and not so exotic materials. The City of Kamloops, the roads, cars, knives, forks, iPhones blah blah,all compromise the environment. Until man stops believing in gods, stops exploiting the planet like it's his goddamn "god given" right and basically evolves to a higher awareness of life other than his own we are screwed.

Until then we can only do the best that we can.

post #29 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Wikipedia is biased.
Fail.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Summit Master

Now days when a mine is done the "tailings dumps" are landscaped and planted with local vegetation. A good example of this can be seen at the old Similco mine near Princeton. The "tailings ponds" are also detoxified and planted with local flora that will not absorb or pass on up the food chain any heavy minerals that might remain. The old pits are often left to become lakes, which is ok in the Kamloops region(ie. the old Lornex Pit - part of Highland Valley Copper) because the minerals extracted are not found in sulphide rich deposits. The provincial government is actually much more involved environmentally than the federal government is.

How do I know all this?...My Dad was the longterm planning engineer(retired and living in Kamloops now) for Highland Valley Copper and he worked reclamation for Lornex.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page