ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Conservation Corner (https://forums.clubtread.com/26-conservation-corner/)
-   -   Wild horses shot in the Chilcotin (https://forums.clubtread.com/26-conservation-corner/10556-wild-horses-shot-chilcotin.html)

karmababy 05-05-2005 10:04 PM

Wild horses shot in the Chilcotin

I saw a brief write up in the papers a couple of days ago regarding the shooting of wild female horses in the Chilcotin. The baby horses are left starving while the shot horses are left to rot.

These horses are becoming rare/extinct and these shootings have made this a much bigger problem.

Officials do not know who and why this is happening.

Some of the natives are rounding up wild horses to domesticate them (which is illegal.) But officials do not know if they are involved in these senseless shootings.

Has anyone heard more about this story?

----------------------------------------
Here's where I put in a witty remark so I'll sound interesting and intelligent, d-uh!

Rider 05-06-2005 08:56 AM

I have heard a few things and I have some unfortunate pics:(Not sure if its ok to post pic of dead and rotting animals on this website. I am told they are being run into the ground with dirtbikes and atvs for 'a good time' More then one group is responsable.

Those horses don't have one legal leg to stand on. Its perfectly legal to wipe out each and every one. Its legal to trap them, shoot them, catch them and tame them.. when that doesn't work because they are wild most will end up starved in some forgotten field or at the cannery in Alberta if they make the drive.. if they make the drive.:(:(:(

Rider

kootenaycat 05-06-2005 09:49 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Rider

I have heard a few things and I have some unfortunate pics:(Not sure if its ok to post pic of dead and rotting animals on this website. I am told they are being run into the ground with dirtbikes and atvs for 'a good time' More then one group is responsable.

Rider
I don't agree with poaching of any sort, and I'm sure the culprits will be caught eventually, but....

Only because you singled out a favourite pastime of mine (atving), I thought I'd post this short bit of info. It shows that not only one recreational group has it's "idiots"!

Last fall on the C&W Railbed near Castlegar, a horseback rider was thrown several metres off a trestle while attempting to ride his horse across an un-surfaced trestle. The trestle was topped with 10"X10" timbers and had 8" gaps between them. The rider started across the span, and only travelled a few feet when the horse lost a leg between the ties, throwing the rider over the edge miraculously surviving the fall. The horse unfortunately did not have such good fortune. It was put out of its misery by a local CO many hours later. This trestle is located over 10km from the nearest public road, and the rider managed to walk the distance before getting help, thus the lengthy time before a Conservation Officer could get to the horse. Just goes to show that it only takes one bad apple from a certain user group to make a bad name for themselves. Please don't assume that all atvers are chasing wildlife!
Kevin

Rider 05-08-2005 09:39 PM

Kevin, I did say more then one group was responsable. I ride quads too.

kootenaycat 05-08-2005 11:45 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Rider

Kevin, I did say more then one group was responsable. I ride quads too.
I took "more then one group" to mean "atvers/dirtbikers/4x4ers/hunters, etc", which it kind of sounded like!
I have a habit of jumping on the defense when I hear a sport that I enjoy getting slammed!

Glad to hear there's another atver/hiker on the board here!
Cheers!

directmule 05-11-2005 10:33 PM

Quote: "Only because you singled out a favourite pastime of mine (atving), I thought I'd post this short bit of info. It shows that not only one recreational group has it's "idiots"!

Not wanting to start a war........Bush seems to have that under control, but if you really look at it.......EVERY group has their "idiots" that make it bad for the 99% of the good users of the different groups. Remember, there are probably 150+ or more of aircraft flights into Vancouver each day......the total is probably much higher but you never hear anything about them on/in the news, TV,
papers, e-mail, forums, etc...........but let one of them skid off the runway, crash, or catch fire..........IT'S FRONT PAGE NEWS......much
like the stuff posted here and on other forums/lists.

kyle 05-12-2005 08:20 PM

if it dont get the news it wont get the outcry and not much will be done to fix the problem. unfortunatly.

anyone got any news clips or anythign on this? my heart skipped a beat when i read the title of this thread.

Non-accessible forest is far more precious than easily accessible clear cut.

sbouchard 05-12-2005 08:40 PM

What the heck is wrong with some people
first the poor eagles and now this thats awful

sbouchard

Life is like Ontario
Yours to Discover

Rider 05-21-2005 11:09 AM

I have one pic thats not too graphic, its not from Nemiah but from a herd thats a bit closer to the mainland. I want to scream out where they are in the hopes that good people will flock to enjoy and protect them, but the "idiots" as directmule so delicatly put it ruin any hope I would have of sharing the location, and having good come of it.

Karmababy- it is perfectly legal to round up and train all the horses. ITs legal to shoot every last one as well. Essentially they are not worth protection in the eyes of the government. Just a quiet cull every now and then and not a second thought.

I have a strong hope and I think it will happen that Nemiah Valley gets recgonized and protected for what it already is. A wildhorse preserve.

Rider