Mt. St. Benedict Access Info? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By sidetrip

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.
Default Mt. St. Benedict Access Info?

Thinking of perhaps snowshoeing MSB on Monday so I'm wondering if anyone out there would know how the road access to the lower trailhead is shaping up for the later weekend? I imagine it may have had some fresh snow today up that way. A gps track would be great if anyone has one available that they would care to share? I hear it's not so easy to follow in winter condition's so why not take a little extra insurance along to save some time possibly.

Thanks for any help.

Sidetrip

Every journey begins with one small step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:17 PM
Summit Master

Main road was snowy and bit icy a few days ago, gate was locked, parked at bridge, main road, steady snow/ice from road, any SUV should make it to lower trail head. Maybe expect powder /new snow/not well travelled after the waterfall on (hiking) upper road. Trailhead will likely be plenty deep with low hanging branches and sparse markers, at lake keep left and attack very steep ridge approach, then wander ridge and take summit from a south/east angle. Expect this to be a FULL day without much sign of trail braking by others. Well worth it though.

Last edited by Aqua Terra; 12-29-2016 at 11:20 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Yeah I've seen a couple trip reports from the winter. Looks much nicer in my humble opinion in the winter then summer. Going to be quite a workout I expect.

Thanks Boris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I'd say it's a little nicer in the winter than in the summer. There's still your typical problems of snow and awkward branches and such, but going downhill is not so rough, and the scenery is nice.

If you go, can you post a photo of the north face for me? There's some potential ice routes there, and I'm curious how they're doing
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

I'll probably do a short TR with plenty of photo's as per usual. Will try and make a point of getting the shot you require if possible. That would be from the lake I'm guessing off the top of my head..yes?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:26 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrip View Post
I'll probably do a short TR with plenty of photo's as per usual. Will try and make a point of getting the shot you require if possible. That would be from the lake I'm guessing off the top of my head..yes?
Hey did you go for it today? Condition update? Thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

No sadly not. My snowshoeing partner couldn't make it so next available sunny weekend day hopefully.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Well. The trail has been broken today by myself. Snowshoes on right from the start.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

I gather the road access was ok then? I'll have to get going before the evidence of all your hard work disappears.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Picked a pretty good day today to go too. Stupid work!

post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Had to park at the start of Lost Creek FSR. The start of the gravel section was steep and very icy. It's about 800 m walk to the start of Murdo FSR. Took Murdo FSR around the north side. Bit of bushwhack to MacKay Lake and then steep grunt to the col. Super windy up high (balaclava on even below treeline)....
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Finally got my butt up there today 2 weeks later. Beautiful day in the mountains on St. Benedict in the DEEP snow. There's a great broken trail right now for anyone wishing to take advantage of tomorrow in the last day of sunshine for a while. I'll put up some pics in a short TR soon.
Spectrum likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page