Porteau FSR gated? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.
Default Porteau FSR gated?

Anyone been up through the gate whilst heading towards Deeks Lake and surrounding peaks lately? Wondering if the gate has been open or closed these recent days. Also, how's the road for driving should it be open for business?

Thanks.

Every journey begins with one small step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrip View Post
Anyone been up through the gate whilst heading towards Deeks Lake and surrounding peaks lately? Wondering if the gate has been open or closed these recent days. Also, how's the road for driving should it be open for business?

Thanks.
Have read in past TR's, the gate has been bypassed. And the road further up is definitely in need of 4 wheel driving.

There is a stretch of loose stones.....and near the end a little tight and overgrown.. otherwise not too bad a road.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Hi Karl,

A friend of mine said it was gated October 2nd when he was last there. Then read a trip report from August 21st I think it was when it was wide open as he put it. By bypassed do you mean you can just get around it somehow saving all that extra grunting up the road to the trailhead. Hoping to save that time with the short daylight these days.

Haven't been up that way for about 3 years exiting the HSCT backpack we did and couldn't remember it being to bad of a road.

A

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Some drove on the outside and around the gate... not if that still works. Never know, this could have changed.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Good to know. Heading up to Mount Windsor Sunday if everything go's according to plan. Saving on the road plod would be a great time saver. Will take a look-see for sure at the gate. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Fyi.....the gate was wide open this time so we were able to drive right up to the trailhead December 4th for some incredible pow on the mountain. Mount Windsor that is, far above and behind Deeks Lake.
martin and cutthroat22 like this.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Bump!

Anyone been up Deeks Lake Road lately? Looking to drive to the trailhead hopefully to save some time and energy for a plod up Deeks Peak in the snow. Guessing the snowline is well above the trailhead still? Any info much appreciated.

Thanks.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:51 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Bump!

Anyone been up Deeks Lake Road lately? Looking to drive to the trailhead hopefully to save some time and energy for a plod up Deeks Peak in the snow. Guessing the snowline is well above the trailhead still? Any info much appreciated.

Thanks.
Not very recent but I went up on Nov 4th. Gate was unfortunately closed the entire time which added 40mins each way.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Bump!

Thanks.
Also heard its been gated as well. Multiple reports from this fall that it was recently gated, which is new as it hasn't been gated in a few years. Too bad.

I assume it has something to do with my run in with this guy a few months back?

https://forums.clubtread.com/8-briti...ging-road.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interesting beginning to a chill-laxing day at the lake. Well I suppose it's still possible to 4 wheel around it or just try the Klahanie Lake Trail version up to the peak if we have to. No idea what those trail conditions would be like at the moment. Anybody know? I heard it can be bad due to under usage?

Last edited by sidetrip; 12-01-2018 at 09:18 AM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 09:52 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

There was a big melt this week followed by fresh snowshowers on Grouse this morning, so I think the snowline would be pretty high, like above 900m. Squamish Gondola cam (900m) shows no snow. I would guess there would be some accumulation above 1200m though.

Thanks for the report on the gate, Newtown.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Went up to Deeks Peak Sunday. Could only make it to the 2k mark before having to park the Xterra. Road is in very rough shape for the next couple hundred meters. Badly washed out. So we had to tack on another k of road slogging to the actual hike. Snowline basically started just prior to the lake at around 900 meters or so. Still not frozen although by the return it was beginning to freeze up at the near end. Just ended up taking the snowshoe's for a ride. Not much of the white stuff compared to other years at this same time. Maybe 6 inch's max at the summit. A couple used the ice axes but wasn't necessary. One interesting note to some is that the wooden bridge has two nice holes now in the deck obviously from tires plunging through. Won't be long before that bridge is toast. In fact the road has seriously deteriorated since the last visit almost exactly two years ago when snowshoeing up Windsor way. Get in there while you can. Oh and the gate is locked but I just drove around it. (:

Should add that one of the ladies lost her micro spikes on the trail half way down from Deeks Lake. She'd be very happy if someone found them and brought them back. You could just contact me I guess if you see them.

Thanks.
martin and russellcoffin like this.

Last edited by sidetrip; 12-04-2018 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Because
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 05:29 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Thanks for the update sidetrip. I noticed a hole in the bridge in July 2017, the last time I was up there. I always found it a bit odd to be able to 4x4 in a provincial park, oh well. I'll bring bikes next time.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Scaling New Heights

Ive bike-hiked that road a few times, its real quick coming back down!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 03:47 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Went up to Deeks Peak Sunday. Could only make it to the 2k mark before having to park the Xterra. Road is in very rough shape for the next couple hundred meters. Badly washed out. So we had to tack on another k of road slogging to the actual hike. Snowline basically started just prior to the lake at around 900 meters or so. Still not frozen although by the return it was beginning to freeze up at the near end. Just ended up taking the snowshoe's for a ride. Not much of the white stuff compared to other years at this same time. Maybe 6 inch's max at the summit. A couple used the ice axes but wasn't necessary. One interesting note to some is that the wooden bridge has two nice holes now in the deck obviously from tires plunging through. Won't be long before that bridge is toast. In fact the road has seriously deteriorated since the last visit almost exactly two years ago when snowshoeing up Windsor way. Get in there while you can. Oh and the gate is locked but I just drove around it. (:

Should add that one of the ladies lost her micro spikes on the trail half way down from Deeks Lake. She'd be very happy if someone found them and brought them back. You could just contact me I guess if you see them.

Thanks.
Thanks for the update. I noticed those holes in the bridge and the deteriorating condition of the road as well last month. I'll keep an eye out for the micro spikes the next time I head that way.

I have never attempted driving around the gate. When facing the gate, are you driving over the hill/hump on the right hand side or are you squeezing through that gap between the gate and hill (it looks really tight!)?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page