Kwoiek Creeek & Nahatlatch Road Conditions - Nahatlatch, Log Creek, Kwoiek Creek FSR - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Kwoiek Creeek & Nahatlatch Road Conditions - Nahatlatch, Log Creek, Kwoiek Creek FSR

We are trying to do some trip planning for a trip to the Kwoiek Glacier area north of the Nahatlatch and south of the Stein. Does anyone have any information regarding any of the following roads:

Nahatlatch FSR - the Chilliwack FSR website says it's re-opening on August 21. Has anyone driven this road as far as Mehatl Creek Falls trailhead at km 48 this year or last? Any locked gates or large cross ditches?

Log Creek & Hanging Valley FSR - this road goes up to the alpine meadows on the southeast side of Pyramid Mountain north of the Nahatlatch. Anyone been up this one recently? Are the bridges intact? How severe are the cross ditches?

Kwoiek FSR - I know this one has the power plant right at the start so you have to ask permission to proceed. How far can you travel on this road? Bridge conditions? Can you make it past Kwoiek Lake?

Any info. at all is very much appreciated as we are checking and considering all of our approach options for this trip! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

In case anyone else is interested I was able to find this on the Kwoiek Creek Road on the Cascades Forest District website:
https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dcs/engine...208%202015.pdf

Hydro Electric power project, primary from 0 - 11.6 km. FSR
commences at the west boundary of Lot 5756 KKYD. Kwoiek #1
Bridge #K882 @ Road Register 1.17 km bridge is GVW 68. Load
rating less than 63 tonnes -Kwoiek #3 Bridge #K544 @ Road
Register 2.90 km bridge is GVW 10 and will be incapable of
supporting logging trucks within the next three years 2011-1-07.,
Kwoiek #4 Bridge #K890 @ Road Register 3.69 km bridge is GVW
50, and Kwoiek #5 Bridge #K546 @ Road Register 4.53 km bridge
is GVW 5 and will be incapable of supporting logging trucks
within the next three years, 2013.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Just got off the phone with the company running the Hydroelectric Project - Energex. There is no restriction on access once on the Kwoiek FS road but you do have to pass through first nations and private land owners on the way to Kwoiek Creek who may or may not restrict access. The status of the road beyond their hydroelectric project is unknown.

Last edited by tlinn; 08-21-2015 at 05:51 PM. Reason: sp's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains

hey Tlinn

I've been up there a few times, most recently in April of this year. Getting to Kwoeik Creek is no problem, just cross at Boston Bar and follow the FSR north. We've never encountered any issues passing through the private land/first nations land.

Once on Kwoeik, the road is in great shape til the headpond of the hydro project. After that, the road is still in great shape it's just very bushy. If you don't mind a few scratches (ok, many scratches) you can drive all the way to the trailhead. There is a sign that looks like this: https://www.flickr.com/gp/85897[email protected]/mMq2gf

We explored a short ways on the trail, to the lowest lake. I believe that trail will take you all the way to the alpine, although I can't attest to the condition of the trail beyond the first lake.

When are you planning on heading in there?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the info. MJ!

We are planning to head in on the labour day long weekend.

Does the road end at the first lake then (Kwoiek Lake)? Or the second? Previous reports mentioned you could drive to the outlet at the second lake (John George lake) before the bridge is washed out.

- T
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:49 AM
Headed for the Mountains

When we were there in April the road was still drivable to the where the bridge is out near John George Lake. The road is in great condition to Kwoiek Lake, after that it becomes VERY bushy, but still in decent shape. 4WD is needed but you don't need huge clearance.

The trail I mentioned is about 900m before the end of the road, in a forested section. It leads to Kokwaskey Lake, and presumably, on up to Haynon Lake.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:28 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hi, I have been up to the bowl above Chochiwa lake in about 2007. The trail was quite good to there except for the river crossing near Kokwaskey lake and many, many dead fall trees across the trail. Consequently, I ran out of time and could not make it up to Tzequa lakes in one day as hope/planned.
If you make it up please provide a trail update as I am still planning a return trip sometime.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Yes, tlinn, please keep us posted! I'm very curious to hear what condition the trail was in
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:51 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Anyone been up there since? Curious if the road beyond Kwoiek Lake is doable in a 4x4 with some disregard for one's paint...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page