Lytton Ferry Alternatives ie: Roads - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.
Default Lytton Ferry Alternatives ie: Roads

Planning on backpacking the lower Stein this weekend only to discover that the Ferry operation is sporadic at best this week. Today it is back to being closed for at least the second time that I'm aware of. Soooo I'm considering road options just in case. The west side of the Fraser can be gained from Lillooet but apparantly is quite harry and also from the south Boston Bar/Nahatlatch, which apparantly according to my co-worker is doable or at least was 20 years ago. Anyone have more recent travels on either of these roads? I'm aware there is the pedetrian bridge over the Fraser in or near Lytton but believe it's an additional 8 or so k each way so would prefer the road option if possible. Need to know what kind of vehicles can access from the south or north if possible.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Every journey begins with one small step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:13 AM
Headed for the Mountains

The access from the north end isn't so bad, just take it slow & remember that it's a single lane dirt road, horses/livestock/traffic/rockfall could be around any corner. I've been up there a few times and often see locals driving sunfires & other cars, so you should be ok.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

The access from the south via Boston Bar is very rough from Keefers to Kwoiek Creek. A passenger car won't really cut it. A truck is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

I'm guessing just judging from the mapbook that from the south is much quicker should it come to driving it then it is from the north end?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

From experience, it's much slower driving from the south, but if you look at total time to get to the trailhead, it might be faster even so.

However, I looked on DriveBC, and what it says is that the ferry is out of service daily from 730PM to 630 AM, i.e. overnight. So it shouldn't be any problem in the day

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:51 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I've driven through from the Stein TH to Lillooet in my Impreza, two summers ago, when we rode the Della DH. No clearance issues, although it's one lane only around some exposed corners (1st gear), especially in the southern half. Just as likely to run into free-range livestock or a local on horseback as another car. You WILL turn heads, as the locals presumably all know each other. Some great Fraser Valley views, and you'll definitely feel like you've earned your BC Backroad merit badge. Road gets better (and wider) the closer you get to Lillooet. Might be an idea to take a bucksaw, in case of deadfall on the road....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Turned out we made it across on the ferry both way's although I was skeptical about it being open on the return for Sunday. The river levels were very high and very fast with plenty of tree's a such floating down. Not sure what the ferry status is now without looking.

Yes Dru the status was closed only during the evenings by the time we headed up Friday morning after a short complete closure earlier in the week. Anyone planning on visiting the Lower Stein should definitely check DriveBC for the latest.

Big Ian...sounds like a road I'll have to drive regardless one day just for the fun of it.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:38 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrip View Post
Turned out we made it across on the ferry both way's although I was skeptical about it being open on the return for Sunday. The river levels were very high and very fast with plenty of tree's a such floating down. Not sure what the ferry status is now without looking.
River peaked on Friday and has been dropping steadily since then.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page