ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Orienteering, what's your opinion?

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Wildman
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Is most orienteering done at night? I was under the impression that most operated with the tools of map, compass, and sun. Thus, flashlight not really all that overboard..

If you like bushwhacking and exploring, then why would you not just choose to go bushwhacking and exploring... and not orienteering? It's not my choice of ways to spend time in the mountains either, but all the best for those who do.
Most orienteering is done in the day but like the World competitions, the last one I think, it was in South America and they go both day and night to reach their check points. They were using a light at night which I don't agree to since this is a very high level of competition. They should have been using my method of travelling at night instead of using a light.
I take it you are a climber. Not all trails lead right to the mountains so you have to bushwack to get to some of them. If you aren't, to me travelling most roads and trails is boring and sometimes just to crowded. That's ok if you like that sort of thing.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome