ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Orienteering, what's your opinion?

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Wildman
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brucew

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wildman

I have watched a few competitions and they use a flashlight at night when competing. I don't think this should be allowed. It's compass and map, not compass, map and flashlight or headlight.

Sans map is more of a challenge. When I go orienteering I go without the map , compass, or GPS. I have some idea of where I want to be but I'm usually well away from my destination when I arrive. If this was a race I am pleased to say I would enjoy it that much more .
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brucew

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wildman
I have watched a few competitions and they use a flashlight at night when competing. I don't think this should be allowed. It's compass and map, not compass, map and flashlight or headlight.
Sans map is more of a challenge. When I go orienteering I go without the map , compass, or GPS. I have some idea of where I want to be but I'm usually well away from my destination when I arrive. If this was a race I am pleased to say I would enjoy it that much more .
If by SANS Map do you mean something like a Forest Cover Map which is a map of the bush and tree growth primarily as while as elevation and contours, I think that would be cheating also in competitions. You would be able to see where the easier vegetation to travel through is.
For learning, that would be a great idea.
I am not sure what you mean in the statement I coloured blue above.
There could be many ways of training and developing to different levels. Speed development would definitely be a part in each experience catagory.
Can you imagine all the different types of maps, aerial photos, etc. a orienteering type club could accumulate for members to use.
Geez, digital maps cost $300.00 to $600.00 per map from what I remember when I tried to buy one.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome