ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Track Your Stats (https://forums.clubtread.com/24-track-your-stats/)
-   -   Trail Stats - for calculating (https://forums.clubtread.com/24-track-your-stats/4059-trail-stats-calculating.html)

LongShadow 01-12-2004 07:57 PM

Trail Stats - for calculating

This is a tracker for the elevation gain/distance of hikes. Reply to this thread and I will update this initial post.

Dog Mountain, Seymour, gain: 787 ft, dist: 6KM, by: jhamlin

Elk mtn trailhead to first lookout point, gain 2200', dist: 3.33 km, by Billygoat

Garibaldi pass (between Lesser Garibaldi Lake and Garibaldi Lake), gain: 3500 ft, by Seawallrunner

Hollyburn Mtn (from X-country access), gain: 1476', dist: 6K, by Scrambler

Round Mountain (from Chain-up parking lot), gain: 2990 ft, by Seawallrunner

Lynn Peak (from parking lot), gain: 760m, dist: 9.85km, by Mick

LongShadow 01-12-2004 08:00 PM

Space for extended list.

LongShadow 01-12-2004 08:00 PM

Space for extended list. Once primary post gets too long.

seawallrunner 01-12-2004 10:49 PM

Garibaldi pass, between Lesser Garibaldi Lake and Garibaldi Lake itself. From Daisy Lake turnoff: 3,500 ft (with extra 500ft elevation gain to account for road)

Round Mountain from Chain-up parking lot just past the turnoff from Mamquam Road 2,990 ft according to my Avocet Vertech watch. (with extra 500ft elevation gain from Chain-up area to trailhead)

seawallrunner 01-12-2004 10:51 PM

Stairmaster Stairmill (from Stairmaster FAQ): One floor equals 16 steps, each step is 8 inches high (10.33 feet per floor, basically)

Scrambler 01-14-2004 06:40 PM

Hollyburn Mtn from X-country access.....6K....450 M (1476')

We need a call on the Lynn Peak stats. Dawn Hanna says 7K and 700 M while the 4th edition of 103 hikes says 10K and 760M (2493') and Jimbo has it as 2365'. I'm going with the 103 stats because I suspect it's more accurate (and because they're bigger and I need all the help I can get :D but maybe we can get some readings from people with GPS and altimeters?

BillyGoat 01-16-2004 03:01 PM

Elk mtn trailhead to first lookout point...2200 feet vertical, and 3.33 km according to my GPS.

----------------------------------------
"If you don't get at it, when you get to it, you won't get to it to get at it again!"

Jimbo 01-17-2004 04:09 PM

I'm not sure what the correct gain for Lynn Peak is, Rich. I'm going by Exscape's number.

----------------------------------------
Who's yer Gnome!! ;)

Scrambler 01-17-2004 04:21 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

I'm not sure what the correct gain for Lynn Peak is, Rich. I'm going by Exscape's number.
It is interesting isn't it? This is turning out to be a real learning experience in more ways than we ever envisioned it would be. I hope folks don't think I'm being too anal about this. I'm treating it like a goal but in a gaming kind of way. I am, however, really interested in what the stats for these hikes are just because there's so much discrepancy (watch out H_N, a 4 syllable word!) out there. I think we will be providing a real service to the general hiking community by cleaning up some of the numbers and we're having a blast doing it :D[8D]:D. At least I am.

mick range 01-17-2004 04:36 PM

Rich,re Lynn Peak,I have it on good authority from a close friend who is the park's caretaker that the 103 Hikes figures are accurate.Some of the other figures measure from the trailhead sign,not the parking lot.So everyone add on.......760m,9.85km to first parking lot return....:)

Draezn 02-02-2004 01:09 PM

Hi Jim & fellow CT'ers. Great idea on the 100k club.. I want to join but I've been really busy as of late organising my trip to Nepal coming up.. so I'll be tacking on those numbers in here and accumulating summer hikes in BC when I get back! Just a thought to standardize these numbers and make the information more organised and accessible:

I can create a database system (either off-line or on-line) that will
a) Keep track of trails & elevation gains (to standardize numbers)
b) Keep track of each individual member, what trail they did, and respectively log all individual member activity as time progresses.

These individual statistics would be then compiled automatically into one broad report which every member could view (ie: total vertical gain, etc). Likewise, this report could be broken down to view in detail each members hikes for the year.

This system would be really flexible and allow the possibility of many different statistics (km's trekked, average elev. gain for all CT members, # of bathroom breaks on trail :D, etc). This information could be graphed, etc, etc... many possibilities once the engine is in place. All of this information can also be sorted as to show who has the most elevation gain overall, who has the highest hike/elev gain ratio, etc...

This system could be smoothly integrated with the website, and of course would be created on a volunteer basis towards the benefit of the CT community [8D]

Anyways.. bored at work once again, just a thought.. lemme know what you guys think!

seawallrunner 02-04-2004 07:26 AM

re Hollyburn.

I parked my car in front of the trail on Sunday morning (thank goodness for small mercies - Cypress parking is a zoo, usually). The weather was clear skies with clouds rolling in, in the distance.

I took a reading from my watch: altimeter hovers between 3,050 and 3,060ft.

Went up the trail to the top: 4,560ft.

Returned back down to car: 3,060ft.

Net gain: 1,500ft

Scrambler 02-05-2004 06:27 PM

Mt Seymour: According to the topos and 104 hikes, the gain to 3rd peak is 455 M. The topos have the parking lot right about 1000 M and 3rd peak is listed at 1455 M. First pump is 1407 M and second peak is not distinctly labeled but it looked about 20-30 M higher on the topos to my eye, hence my avvy course stats. There seems to be some disagreement on these numbers with team-1 recording slightly larger numbers. Can we get a call on this set of peaks, too. I did add on some of the other ups and downs we did to get the numbers I actually came up with and I suspect you guys did too.

seawallrunner 02-06-2004 09:58 AM

I was thinking about your question Scrambler on the way to work, about getting a fix on the numbers re distance and altitude as we move into the second month of the 100K Club.

I think that the numbers may differ because we are taking winter routes (trail to Elfin Lakes springs to mind - you walk on higher ground in the winter than in the summer).

And guidebooks only offer estimates of elevation change and km length, rounded to zero decimals in distance, and sometimes rounded to the nearest 10 feet of elevation. That's rather suspect.

I don't see the 100k challenge as a race, but rather as a personal incentive to go out there and climb. I take note of the altitude on my Avocet Vertech altimeter watch when I start the hike, take note of the highest point, then take note again of the altitude at the car. If there's any discrepancy between the two altitutdes at car-level, I take an average on a sunny day, or simply use the higher barometric pressure number (dropping pressures make the altitude numbers go higher).

There will be differences in altitude between devices, and differences in altitude on different days (due to weather). Here is an example. When I went to Grouse mountain last week with Jim, Jimbo, Todd and Jenn, we went up to Pacific Loop to dog a pit, then a cave. We saw a 900ft delta in altitude on Jim's watch. I had gone a few weeks earlier with non-CT friends, and had to climb farther to where the trail forks (between up to Dam, and down to Thunderbird) to get the same altitude reading on my watch.

No matter, I still wrote 900ft for both days. It doesn't matter to me, really. The key issue for me is to Get Off The Sofa, Get Out Of The House, breathe some fresh mountain air and connect with people that I really like.

Cheers ! C Wall

mick range 02-07-2004 12:02 AM

Exactly Seawall!It really is about the adventure and the outing.Even the same trail seems to offer something different every time.The stats are something I just like because it's something to keep your mind working,and the vertical is something I've never kept track of before.:)