• 1 Post By Kokanee75
  • 1 Post By alpalmer
  • 1 Post By Kokanee75
  • 1 Post By Kokanee75

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default WANTED: Bearikade Bear Canister

I'm looking for a Bearikade Expedition - to buy or lend. Doing the John Muir Trail in Sept. and normally I wanted to order a custom one but it's just finally clear that I can make it - a bit late for that. Besides it is expensive...
Rental one's from them are already booked for my start date and I also don't like the logistics, want to try at home what fits in it. So, if somebody in Alberta or so has one in the closet in Sept. - I would be back on Oct. 2nd.

I would also take a BearVault 500, but just have the impression the extra space of a Bearikade Expedition would be necessary.
alpalmer likes this.

Last edited by Kokanee75; 08-10-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Just a side note about water availability along the John Muir, streams/creeks are quite dry right now so plan carefully with your water resupply. I am currently working over at Shaver Lake California, a bit south of Yosemite, and have hiked in a couple of places along the trail. Creeks that were flowing well in mid-July are now dry.
Kokanee75 likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks - bad to hear... a BearVault is standing here now, haven't tried yet how much will fit in - still interested in a Bearikade, it's only clear that everything I want to take won't fit - calculating the weight of the backpack I was hoping to only add one liter, well. But I'll take two bottles for 3l right away at a camping spot... hope it's not so hot then anymore, let's see.
alpalmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Wasn't a problem with water, just low water levels. The tab at High Sierra Camp was shut down due to whatever issues - that's a bit bad if you are looking forward to it.
Besides if someone is planning on doing it, it is a nice trail, I would strongly recommend not to send any resupply buckets - there is so much overflow/leftovers at the resupply points, you can choose from the most sophisticated meals and snacks... or shop here and there at a few places. There's no lack of anything especially at the Ranch (which is better organized because of the amount of things people send and don't pick-up or take with them afterwards - LNT).
alpalmer likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Glad your trip went well, with good water and conditions. I was up on the Rae Lakes stretch about three weeks ago with good end of season weather, no bugs, and few people. The hiker boxes during September can be really great because all the PCT hikers have passed through and many people overestimate their food consumption and as you said, send things that never get picked up. One thing about the quota system on some stretches of the trail, it ends during late season so all one needs to do is self-register and hike. This year it was September 25 for the Rae Lakes Loop. One still needs reservations for the entire JMT, though, during October.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page