Where to buy a family-sized tent in the LWR MNLD? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, travel, reading, movies, cooking, drinking wine, eating.
Default Where to buy a family-sized tent in the LWR MNLD?

Hey there,
I'm looking for a family tent that has a built-in screened area and side sleeping areas but also good rain protection and quality construction. Cdn Tire has the Coleman Phoenix and the Roots Pine Ridge. Sears has them or similar. Would anyone know if 3 Vets, Army & Navy, or anywhere else might also have what I'm looking for? I'll only be in the lower mainland for less than a week and don't have a lot of time to search from store to store, so I'd appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

You could check out the various store websites and see if they have what you are looking for.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Scaling New Heights

Hey CWF,

What sort of quality are you looking for? Something that will last through a few car camping seasons, or something that will last for years to come? What's your budget like? Quality and budget are of course linked. How many people do you need to fit in it?

I'm a big fan of MEC tents, though I'm not sure if they have anything quite like what you need, and they are definitely in the higher price categories. What do you think of something like the funhouse 6?

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Tents/...use-6-tent.jsp

No seperate side sleeping areas, but pretty large inside (10 x 10 ft) and with a massive mesh vestibule.

The MSR Backcountry barn looks extremely spacious, but costs a small fortune
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Tents/...-barn-tent.jsp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:27 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

Canadian Tire and Army and Navy both have awesome multi room tents on sale right now, some include sleeping bags.

Probably need to act quick though I bet they start taking them off the shelves soon.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, travel, reading, movies, cooking, drinking wine, eating.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by J Mace

Canadian Tire and Army and Navy both have awesome multi room tents on sale right now, some include sleeping bags.

Probably need to act quick though I bet they start taking them off the shelves soon.
Yeah, the Cdn Tire up here has them on sale at the beginning of the season so what they have left now will sit in the backroom until next year. I'll check in Richmond when I'm down. Thanks.

I'm looking for something with a vestibule large enough that I can put in a small table and some chairs. The Coleman has mesh roof all around so on clear nights, I could pull back the fly and watch the stars. Quality (workmanship on the seams, etc) seems so-so on all of these tents.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

I see on the Cdn Tire web site that they have the Coleman (MSRP $379.99) in stock at the store up here so I might just pick it up before we head south just to save the PST (every bit helps).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Another option is to get a tent for sleeping quarters, and a separate enclosed shelter and/or tarp for sitting/eating areas.

That gives more flexibility in setting up your camp.

For example, if you're at a campsite with smaller tent pads.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page