For Sale: MSR Wind 2 Mountaineering Tent - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, travel, reading, movies, cooking, drinking wine, eating.
Default For Sale: MSR Wind 2 Mountaineering Tent

2 person, 4 season, 2 door, 2 vestibule tent. In excellent condition except for one pole attachment strap that wore out at the ring (see pic below) and needs new guy lines. No tears to fabric or mesh, no mold or mildew, no odour, no pole breaks. More specs and pics here: http://www.moontrail.com/msr-wind2.php.

Dimensions:
Floor area: 34.2 sq ft (3.1 sq meters)
Vestibule area: 13.7 sq ft (1.2 sq meters)
Peak height: 53" (135 cm)
Packed size: 6" x 20" (15 cm x 51 cm)
Weight:
Tent, fly, poles: 7.4 lbs (3.3 kg)
Tent, poles, fly, stakes, stuff sack, guy line: 8.4 lbs (3.8 kg)

Retail is $595 US, I'm selling it for $300 Cdn + shipping from Whitehorse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Youch on the price. Take a look at the used tents on MEC gear swap etc....you're asking price isn't going to help you sell this. TNF VE25's in better shape than this sell for between $250-$300ish used on average. Go ahead and get offended if you choose, every one else that's asking too much tends too aswell.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, travel, reading, movies, cooking, drinking wine, eating.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Youch on the price. Take a look at the used tents on MEC gear swap etc....you're asking price isn't going to help you sell this. TNF VE25's in better shape than this sell for between $250-$300ish used on average. Go ahead and get offended if you choose, every one else that's asking too much tends too aswell.
I'm not offended. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. Thanks for stating yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Sweet, I was wrong and making assumptions. Free thread bump with this reply.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I bet it'd be worth it to have the repair made prior to selling it. I wouldn't buy something that needed fixing unless I got a screaming deal, just in case the fix was difficult/expensive.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

I bet it'd be worth it to have the repair made prior to selling it. I wouldn't buy something that needed fixing unless I got a screaming deal, just in case the fix was difficult/expensive.
Thanks for the tip. There's only one place to go up here in Whitehorse though so I'm sure it would cost more. Like my brother pays $15 for a haircut in Richmond and I pay $26 up here.

The tent's like new otherwise. Just clearing stuff out of the closet so if it doesn't sell, no big deal, I'll happily hang on to it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Nice tent. I'm not in the market right now but if it was November, I might consider it.

Quick question to help others: What is the nature of the repair for that strap? Does it just need to be sewn back on with a sewing machine?

P.S. You show a picture on Aconcagua. Did you summit?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:

Quick question to help others: What is the nature of the repair for that strap? Does it just need to be sewn back on with a sewing machine?
You would need a heavy duty sewing machine with a thick needle, but it could be done. Using a heavy twine, even something like fishing line, might also work. There's lots of pressure on that strap, so it would have to be a pretty kick-ass repair, but it's totally do-able.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

That strap loops through the ring and is sewn back to itself. Maybe I'll take it in to the shop here with the big commercial machine and see what they say about it. Everything on the tent is pretty bomber so I was surprised that it went in the first place, but I put the pole end through the loop above the grommet on the strap and was good for the rest of the trip.

But no, we didn't summit. We had fantastic weather on our way in and during the days we load carried and set up higher camps but just before Xmas a big low pressure system settled in and no one could set up above Nido. We enjoyed a few days in the golden glow of that tent. We were
running out of time on our permit (and we were told that it would be checked on our way out) so we tried to summit in one big push. Could only get to the start of the canaletta before the weather closed in, viz went to nothing, and the snow fell. I loved it though even with the 3 weeks of no showers, my fingers dried out to cracked and bloody stumps...

Have you been?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:54 AM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Since it's MSR, it might be worthwhile to call them and see what they can do for you about the torn strap.

They've a reputation for excellent customer service.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page