• 1 Post By ashi
  • 1 Post By susied
  • 1 Post By martin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking
Post 105 Hikes: New guidebook comes out May 26

Like many of you, I grew up with 103 Hikes in Southwestern British Columbia and cherished its pages. So it was with some trepidation that, two years ago, I started working on a follow-up to the classic guide.

The result, 105 Hikes In and Around Southwestern British Columbia, is set to hit bookstores in time for its May 26 publication date. Itís published by Greystone Books, and a portion of sales will benefit the B.C. Mountaineering Club.

For the table of contents and more, check out: 105hikes.com

Itís worth clarifying that 105 Hikes is not a revised edition of 103 Hikes. Itís a completely new book, albeit with a familiar format. New features include colour photos and topo maps, ratings for quality and difficulty, and an at-a-glance chart of all the hikes for quick reference.

I opted to cover a wider range, in terms of both geography and difficulty, than the more recent editions of 103 Hikes. For one thing, 105 Hikes includes a selection of trails in northern Washington. The idea was to write a guide useful for both experienced locals and a new generation of hikers.

In Vancouver, MEC is going to host me for a book signing on Saturday, June 2. If that interests you, please come say hi. Thereís other events planned too. Follow 105 Hikes on Facebook to keep in touch.

In any case, Iím looking forward to seeing hikers plan their adventures with the book. Iíll also be excited to hear your thoughts on what Iíve done with it. If youíve read this far, thanks for your interest!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: biking, hiking

You bastard. I'm just getting near the end of the 103 hikes book and now this. Looking at the hikes, there are a bunch that crossover but also a ton of hikes I haven't done. I will be picking up a copy.
ashi, stephenhui and leanoliv like this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

I recently interviewed Stephen on writing the book. Here's a link if anyone's interested: https://www.ashikaparsad.com/105-hik...w-stephen-hui/ - thanks for all your hard work putting the book together.
stephenhui likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Off the Beaten Path

How fast things get out of date - I understand that Emma Lake is in the new book. Unfortunately a massive slide has made it inaccessible at present. A bunch of local heroes are working on creating a path for hikers through the massive mess, but right now it is a No Go.
stephenhui likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
You bastard. I'm just getting near the end of the 103 hikes book and now this. Looking at the hikes, there are a bunch that crossover but also a ton of hikes I haven't done. I will be picking up a copy.
Sorry. However, I've included a checklist in the new book for completists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashi View Post
I recently interviewed Stephen on writing the book. Here's a link if anyone's interested: https://www.ashikaparsad.com/105-hik...w-stephen-hui/ - thanks for all your hard work putting the book together.
Thanks much for the interview, Ashika.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susied View Post
How fast things get out of date - I understand that Emma Lake is in the new book. Unfortunately a massive slide has made it inaccessible at present. A bunch of local heroes are working on creating a path for hikers through the massive mess, but right now it is a No Go.
Good to know. Emma Lake is in the last edition of 103. But it's not in 105 Hikes.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Hi all:

If you find any errors or inaccuracies in 105 Hikes, or would like to suggest corrections or additions for future editions, please do get in touch.

I’m posting errata and addenda on the book website: https://105hikes.com/updates/

Thanks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

cool...

Nice to know you are out there having a hand in guiding the directions of future hikers..

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:53 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I would suggest listing cumulative elevation gain instead of net elevation gain.
For example, the book lists Crown Mtn. elevation gain from Grouse parking as 1227m, it should be closer to 1470m (1 way) or 1696m (return). I think this could cause some hikers to choose hikes that are more difficult than they anticipated.
Same thing applies to Mt. Elsay, which is listed as only 500m elevation gain.
treord8 likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
i would suggest listing cumulative elevation gain instead of net elevation gain.
+1000000

I'd always describe elevation how Garmin basecamp breaks down GPS track: +(cumulative gain), -(cumulative loss). Meanings of + and - symbols are explained in preface of the guide, as well as that stat is applied 1-way. Then in hike header you have 2 numbers, ie

Crown Mtn: +1470m, -180m

It is concise and I can easily see return trip implication as well.

Last edited by zeljkok; 10-25-2018 at 10:42 PM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
I would suggest listing cumulative elevation gain instead of net elevation gain.
For example, the book lists Crown Mtn. elevation gain from Grouse parking as 1227m, it should be closer to 1470m (1 way) or 1696m (return). I think this could cause some hikers to choose hikes that are more difficult than they anticipated.
Same thing applies to Mt. Elsay, which is listed as only 500m elevation gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Quote:
i would suggest listing cumulative elevation gain instead of net elevation gain.
+1000000

I'd always describe elevation how Garmin basecamp breaks down GPS track: +(cumulative gain), -(cumulative loss). Meanings of + and - symbols are explained in preface of the guide, as well as that stat is applied 1-way. Then in hike header you have 2 numbers, ie

Crown Mtn: +1470m, -180m

It is concise and I can easily see return trip implication as well.
Thanks for the feedback, both of you.

I considered cumulative, but ultimately decided on net elevation gain when preparing the book. I’ll have to revisit this issue for the next edition.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page