Books about the Coast Mountains or Cascades ranges - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Books about the Coast Mountains or Cascades ranges

I'm looking for books about the history of mountaineering and general outdoorsing local to us in BC. I've already read John Clarke's bio (Coast Mountain Explorer.)

Maybe something about explorers like the Mundays, Glenn Woodsworth, John Clarke's friends, Randy Stoltmann, all those climbers from the 60's 70's and 80's.

What can you reccomend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 07:12 AM
HT
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brandonportcoquitlam

I'm looking for books about the history of mountaineering and general outdoorsing local to us in BC. I've already read John Clarke's bio (Coast Mountain Explorer.)

Maybe something about explorers like the Mundays, Glenn Woodsworth, John Clarke's friends, Randy Stoltmann, all those climbers from the 60's 70's and 80's.

What can you reccomend?
Bruce Fairley's Guide to Climbing and Hiking has a chapter on that.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Summit Master

Look up Fred Beckey.

His Cascade Alpine Guide ( red one covers SW BC ) three-book series and his wonderful Range of Glaciers book are good starters. Superbly researched, well written. Features research assistance and photos from some of our more prominent Club Treaders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

There is a book called In the Western Mountains (IWM) that features interviews with climbers from up to about 1950. I have never seen a copy but I think Vancouver Library might have one in special collections.

Next up, Roy Mason has a book called Ice Runway which is more about flying ski planes and float planes than mountaineering, but he got into flying so he could fly into ski camps and lakes to go mountaineering, and it's a great read. especially the part about crashing into Osprey Lake and hiking out alone.

Paddy Sherman has a couple books, one has a couple chapters on local climbing. Cloud Walkers?

Phil Dowling wrote a book called The Mountaineers: Famous Climbers in Canada that includes profiles of climbers ranging from Conrad Kain thru Fred Beckey to Dick Culbert. It came out in 1979. One profile per chapter.

Don and Phyl Munday's book about Mt Waddington.

Chic Scott's Pushing the Limits has some curious West Coast omissions (Hank Mather) but is a pretty good history, especially up to about 1994.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I found copys of In Western Mountains twice in second hand book stores. My first copy burnt up in my shop/house fire in 1998 and the second copy I found, I donated to the Vancouver Island Section ACC archives. www.viacc.ca and follow the links to "Archives"... could still be there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brandonportcoquitlam

What can you reccomend?
None of the following have a lot of historical perspective, but if you haven't read any of them all are excellent

On Stoltmann, look for his Hiking Guide to the Big Trees of Southwestern BC, Hiking the Ancient Forests of British Columbia and Washington, and Written by the Wind. The first is a bit harder to find, but the other too are more easily obtained.

John Baldwin's Exploring the Coast Mountains on Skis and Mountains of the Coast are very worthwhile too. Fred Beckey's Challenge of the North Cascades is great too

Dru has the rest well covered!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page