Funny thing happened at bookstore - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,
Default Funny thing happened at bookstore

I walked up to the center desk at Barnes and Noble and asked for "3 cups of tea?"
The young man pointed toward the inhouse Starbucks. We had a good chuckle over it once he realized I wanted the book by Greg Mortenson.

Anyone else have any funny thing happen whilst book hunting?

hehe

May your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing views ! Edward Abbey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 01:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Not really funny but poignant I guess.

I was telling someones son, around 14 years old, about a good book he should read, "The 48 Laws of Powers"

To which he responded: "I'd like to read it but I don't want to buy it, is there a place where you can pay to rent out books to read like a Blockbusters or something. How come you can rent movies and video games but you can't rent books?"

I gave him a wry smile and raised an eyebrow imagining he was joking.

He looked confused.

So I said: "A Library, and it's free"

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leimrod

I was telling someones son, around 14 years old, about a good book he should read, "The 48 Laws of Powers"

To which he responded: "I'd like to read it but I don't want to buy it, is there a place where you can pay to rent out books to read like a Blockbusters or something. How come you can rent movies and video games but you can't rent books?"

He looked confused.

When I was a kid, I envisioned being able to take movies out of a library, just like books. So that you could watch it when you wanted instead of waiting for the once a year or so they'd show some old children's classic on TV (not to mention the hell that would break loose if there was something on another channel at the same time that your sister wanted to watch).

And then it actually happened: VCRs and video stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 11:17 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

That's funny Jerry! I have the book myself so that made me chuckle. Imagine a person working at Barnes and Noble and not having heard of "Three Cups of Tea"... must have been a newbie!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leimrod

He looked confused.

When I was a kid, I envisioned being able to take movies out of a library, just like books. So that you could watch it when you wanted instead of waiting for the once a year or so they'd show some old children's classic on TV (not to mention the hell that would break loose if there was something on another channel at the same time that your sister wanted to watch).

And then it actually happened: VCRs and video stores.
And now the librarys have dvd's of current movies up for take outs. At least the North and west Vancouver ones do.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The "3 cups of tea" confusion gave me a good chuckle too - thank you. I have to admit, I like bookstores a lot less now that they smell like coffee (usually old, burnt coffee) instead of books.

On the other hand, the idea of a child not knowing about the library actually made me shudder a little. I'm a huge reader; I even read in the bath. My brother taught me to read before I started kindergarten, and I think I've had, and regularly used, a library card since then. Libraries are such wonderful places filled with knowledge, and controversies, and inspirations, and 'how tos', and dreams and ideas, and so much more. I can't imagine not having access to this resource.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

After reading 3 Cups of Tea, you may find Jon Krakauer's "Three Cups of Deceit" interesting. It was available for a time at byliner.com as a free pdf..not sure anymore. It's an expose on Mortenson's alleged gross misappropriation of funds.

I have some experience working with fledgling not-for-profits who are all-too-often susceptible to drifting away from efficient simplicity and transparency with limited overhead costs, to bloated victims of their own successes; Krakauer's piece illustrates this unfortunate trend.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

^Most of the information is available all over the internet even if Krakauer's book isn't any more. 20/20 did an expose that is viewable online.
I think the big problem is a failure to identify meaningful actions that will effect real change, and instead doing things that appear immediately new.
The question of how the charity got this way doesn't address the swaths of other lies in his books, unfortunately.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Summit Master

A friend used to work for Duthie Books. At one point they hired a guy for whom English was his second language; he had a thick accent (I am not sure where he was from) and couldn't pronounce the "th" sound. So he'd answer the phone, "Good afternoon, Dutty Books.."

People thought he was saying "Dirty Books" and one person hung up on him. So the other staff tried their best to teach him to pronounce it properly. "DuTHie....DuTHie..."

They also would have people come in and say, "I'm looking for a book, but I don't know what it's called or who the author is. It has a red cover.."

The best one was when someone (again ESL) came in asking for a book called "Angry Fruit." He'd read about it in another language and had translated the title from his own language in order to ask for the English version. The staff had never heard of it; they pondered and puzzled but they finally figured out he wanted "The Grapes of Wrath."
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:15 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Hard to beat John Cleese loosing his temper as a bookstore clerk...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p62uu...&feature=share

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page