Banff Hiking with Nieces - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Banff Hiking with Nieces

My wife and I will have my two female nieces, 9 & 12, in Banff with us for a few days at the beginning of September. My current plans are to take them to Lake Louise and hike to the Plain of Six Glaciers and then up to Lake Agnes. The second day I want to take them up Cirque Peak. Their last day with us will either be lots of driving (Bow Summit Lookout, Athabasca Glacier, Parker's Ridge and back to Calgary) or White Water Rafting on the Kicking Horse.

Primary question, is it realistic to take two Toronto born and raised girls up Cirque Peak? (If the general consensus is no, any suggestions for an easy mountain peak for them to bag?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Banned

Cirque Peak might be a bit much for them, but it all depends on how much exercise they regularly get.

That said, Cirque Peak is probably the best choice. Nearing Helen Lake the scenery explodes, the ridge above the lake adds another "wow!", and then just the peak awaits. They can go as far as they can, but not feel like they missed out if they can't make the summit.

You might also want to consider Mount Saint Piran and Mount Fairview in the Lake Louise area. A reasonable plan would be to hike up Saint Piran, then head down to the Lake Agnes teahouse for treats.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

mclay1234, thanks for the quick reply. Now that the trip is getting closer and I'm finalizing plans, I'm beginning to worry Cirque Peak might be too much for them. (The original plan was, near the top of Cirque Peak, if they weren't comfortable with the light scrambling, we'd turn around.) I promised them they would "climb a mountain" though, and I don't want to lose my status as the "cool" uncle!

I had thought about Mount Saint Piran, but the very first day we're going to be hiking around Lake Louise, so it is kind of lame to go there again.

Any other suggestions? Ha Ling? Observation Point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Banned

Ah, what I meant was that instead of doing Plain of Six Glaciers you could do Lake Agnes and Saint Piran, so still just one day in Lake Louise. Then the next day could be a trip to Helen Lake and perhaps Cirque Peak.

You can't beat the Lake Louise peaks (Fairview, St. Piran) and Cirque for easiness. It's not exactly spectacular, but Sulfur Mountain is another easy one. Tourists (i.e., your nieces) love it because it's right in the townsite and there's food at the top. Plus you could stop in the hot springs afterward.

I'd keep your plans quite fluid until you see how the kids are handling the hiking. Some 9 year olds would run up Cirque, but others wouldn't even make it to the meadows.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page