Tenting with one year old! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Mmmmmm....so many to list. Biking, biking, biking. Anywhere, anytime, any bike...but mostly xc and dh. Backcountry/alpine exploring...on foot, skis, snowboard, snowshoes. Wildflower oogling. Eating. Hiking.
Default Tenting with one year old!

Hi CT.

I have perused through the Hiking with Kids section but can't seem to find the advice I'm looking for. My daughter just turned one and I REALLY NEED to get out in the woods for an overnighter. My conundrum is this: she sleeps in a crib at home so she is used to being corralled. When in the tent, she will obviously not have a crib or pack n'play so I am wondering what other parents have done or created to keep their toddler safe, secure and warm (I'm thinking that she is not going to lie there quietly in a sleeping bag!!)

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:37 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

If I can buy a 6 room tent and a coleman stove with an oven surely there must be a camping crib?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Couldn't you make a "nest" by using your pack on one side and your own body on the other side? Never done it,but it seems feasable?
Have fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Scaling New Heights

I'm following this thread closely! I too have searched the archives for any story of camping and backpacking with kids. I've got plans to take my 1-year old backpacking at the end of June and appreciate and tips and advice! Same deal here - she sleeps wonderfully in her crib, not sure how she'll do without it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

We used a snow suit as no way my little one would have stayed in a sleeping bag. Worked well. Trapped her between us.

We did buy some disposable diapers and then packed them out. The disposable ones are "tidier" which was a big advantage during a backpack.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: scrambling...

At that age, it doesn't really matter where they sleep. Most times my daughter fell asleep in my arms or in the Baby Bjorn then I put her in the baby size sleeping bag that came with the Kid Co PeaPod. If you practice at home first, then it won't be as much of a difference when you are on the trail.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: cycling

Just turned one?
I used something kind of like one of these camping a couple of times:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...785937373.html

Portable baby bed, all soft materials, folds up.
(It was good for budget travelling, or car camping, or canoe camping, but too bulky for backpack-camping.)

My 2nd kid loved his fleece sleep-sack so much I just put him in a bunch of PJ's and then in the sleep sack.

When the 1st kid was 2 he got his own kid-sized sleeping bag. (Marmot)

The best thing you can do is let them run/crawl around a lot and get soooo wiped out that they pass out--and the entire issue is a non-issue! (At that point they will sleep anywhere.)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I used a two man tent when my oldest was 1. I just threw him on the foamie beside us in his sleeping bag and when I'd crawl in the tent later, he'd be at the bottom out of his bag. We tried keeping him in the bag but he was/is so damn restless. My favorite part is when he wakes up at 5 AM with the light and pokes me in the eye until I awake.

When we car camp, I bought a six man Marmot tent and a one man pop-up tent from Canadian Tire. Now that we have two kids, the oldest goes in the pop-up tent inside the Marmot and then the wee one goes in his bjorn travel crib.

We rigged up a 2 pole mini tent to go over the travel crib and a dark sheet goes over the pop-up tent. Seems a bit much I know but it allows us to sleep til 7 AM instead of 5.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Some options we used

A laundry basket
A stroller basinet
Kid co peapod
Pack and play in six man tent.
Lying between us in her own bag.

The kidco peapod was my favourite as we could use it outside and inside and it packed away nicely. The laundry basket wasnt used camping but once when we forgot the pack and play at my parents house. Lying between us worked okay but that meant holding her until she went to sleep before putting her down as otherwise she would be everywhere in the tent.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Mmmmmm....so many to list. Biking, biking, biking. Anywhere, anytime, any bike...but mostly xc and dh. Backcountry/alpine exploring...on foot, skis, snowboard, snowshoes. Wildflower oogling. Eating. Hiking.

Thanks guys for all the info. We'll figure something out...always learning something new with a little one!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Summit Master

pretend camping at home seems like a real good idea. Allows for toddlers feel and smell to get used to strange suroundings.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:39 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: this and that, here and there I may be boring, but i\'m never really bored... and that\'s all that matters. Isn\'t it?

I'm planning on a similar setup as the camel. blackout infant, toddler tents !!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Hittin' the Trails

We started taking our daughter car camping under a year, and backpacking a little later on. To keep her safe and secure, we've used...my wife's arms. It really helps to keep things simple. In the beginning we just used a light carrier (Ergo) for around the camp, for backpacking we had a Deuter Kid Comfort III to carry her. Sleeping arrangements was initially difficult because she was still breastfeeding, so for car camping we got a double-sized sleeping bag (Roots, from Canadian Tire) which really helped.

Something I found interesting is that our daughter is a very fussy sleeper, but when we took her camping it was the first time she slept through the night. One time when she was 2 years old we got stuck for three days under pouring rain, and with just a couple of books she didn't mind so much.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Okay so maybe not the solution your looking for. This is year 7, of car camping with kids.

Seriously though, we have always co-slept with Wyatt and Garret. In the summer you won't need to zip the 2 bags together so you will have a lot more room than in winter, when the bags need to be zipped together. If your really worried about them getting cold put the kid in a winter fuzzy sleeper. Then they can sleep above the covers with no worries.

J Mace there is a portable crib. It's called a pack and play, play pen. However, it's far to big for backpacking. Very good choice for car camping though
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

You can get all kinds of portable enclosures for cats and dogs. You'd think there'd be something similar for toddlers! Have a look at:
https://www.kittywalk.com/index.asp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page