Grizz attacks 7 teens injurred - Page 5 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seboyle

As more and more info comes out we get a better idea of what happened. You could maybe criticise them for being too far apart, maybe (??) also for not making enough noise in the circumstances (creek, rain, etc.) but really... sometimes shit happens.

I thought this link in the paper was interesting:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...tacks?page=0,0
This was just an awesome essay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sixer

I bought my spray at MEC and they sell holsters for 4 bucks and less that fit on any belt-and I keep it there if I'm anywhere I think I might need it. It's really easily reached on my belt by my right hand. And I practised drawing it/releasing the safety more than a few times at home, which really helps in terms of confidence using it. I've had mine out of the holster too and ready on a few occasions when we were near creeks surrounded by berries and fresh scat-just in case. So far have not needed to use it thank goodness! But I would recommend the holsters, as the spray is useless in a pack.

It's kinda fun to see the puzzled look on the faces of the neighbours when practising drawing bear spray in the backyard...
Thanks ! Good for MEC.... I will be going there.

K
post #63 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:01 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TheClap

If you can try to find a way to integrate the holster onto your belt or a cargo pocket so that anytime you take your pack off (lunch, rest break etc.) the canister stays with you.
Mine is in a nylon holster that normally hangs off a carbiner clipped to the left side of the waistbelt on my pack. I find the neoprene ones to be too grippy. The loop faces forward and the nozzle points back. Since I'm right-handed, I can quickly reach across to draw it.

Although I admit to not doing it every time I leave my pack sitting somewhere for a moment, in bear country the carbiner lets me easily take the can off the pack and clip it to my belt if I'm wandering around at a back-country campsite, or heading for my tent at night.

As a matter of inerest, I just finished a long trip with a woman who was equipped with a new can. It was only at the end that I noticed she had taken off the white (permanent) trigger loop, and left on the yellow one marked 'remove after purchase'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Scaling New Heights

carry spray before bangers.
post #65 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Headed for the Mountains

No point second guessing what happened. It's Alaska. Sh!t happens. They live to tell the tale.

Hey guys. You survived. You pass. A+.

oh and enough with the BFK jokes...I mean it's cute in that macho, I-can-do-anything-and-nothing-can-ever-harm-me delusional kind of way but fact is if there was a BFK employed in this case all you'd have is 2+ dead teenagers not 2+ almost-dead teenagers. And before you come back with an whole buch of, "you don't know what yer talkin' 'bout", stuff, please list for me all the large preditors you've taken down with your BFK.

That's right: zero.
post #66 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Scaling New Heights

actually there are recorded instances where the bfk has saved lives. the last one that comes to mind was near grand prairie about 3 years ago where a man was attacked and killed a grizzly with a fold out lockblade. yes it was a lucky thrust to the juglar vein , but luck is okay when being mauled.
post #67 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by northernbc

actually there are recorded instances where the bfk has saved lives. the last one that comes to mind was near grand prairie about 3 years ago where a man was attacked and killed a grizzly with a fold out lockblade. yes it was a lucky thrust to the juglar vein , but luck is okay when being mauled.
If bear spray works 95% of the time, I'd prefer those odds over the ones for a 'lucky thrust to the jugular'.
post #68 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I might have shanked a cougar or two in my day
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Release

No point second guessing what happened. It's Alaska. Sh!t happens. They live to tell the tale.

Hey guys. You survived. You pass. A+.

oh and enough with the BFK jokes...I mean it's cute in that macho, I-can-do-anything-and-nothing-can-ever-harm-me delusional kind of way but fact is if there was a BFK employed in this case all you'd have is 2+ dead teenagers not 2+ almost-dead teenagers. And before you come back with an whole buch of, "you don't know what yer talkin' 'bout", stuff, please list for me all the large preditors you've taken down with your BFK.

That's right: zero.
post #69 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering

now all we need is another couple thousand mauling deaths,that will even things out between us and the bears.

post #70 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Scaling New Heights

i agree with you peter, bear spray first then the bfk. if you do get grabbed it is better to have one than not. i will question your 95% i do not believe it is quite that high maybe 80% but i could be wrong the study i had read is getting older know.
post #71 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Ok fine. I'm a believer now. BFK all da way.
post #72 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy

We saw a bear once and my friend needed to ready a can of bear spray for the first time. It feels like it took 30 seconds and he almost sprayed us in the process. By the time we had readied our defenses, the bear was gone.
The problem is of not having readied it until you saw the bear. When you get a can of bear spray, you need to remove the first tie, and get it in some sort of holder that you can access quickly.
Like those above, mine's just a pulll away.
This. I gave our safety officer in the camp I'm working in shit yesterday because I went to grab a can of bear spray before I went into the field and there were no holsters. The stuff is worthless without them as you won't be able to get it out in time unless it is on your belt. Mine is always on my hip ready to go, and I'm able to get it out and safety off in about a second.

Granted, I would feel a lot safer with a 12-gauge, but she doesn't feel those are a good idea. Damn hippies should stay out of the bush when I've got work to do.
post #73 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by northernbc

i agree with you peter, bear spray first then the bfk. if you do get grabbed it is better to have one than not. i will question your 95% i do not believe it is quite that high maybe 80% but i could be wrong the study i had read is getting older know.
I think the figure came from Parks Canada. It's certainly over 90%.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page