The Rockwall - Paint Pots to Floe Lake - Late June 2020 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Biking, Canoeing, Kayaking, Nature, Baking, Food, Wine, Sitcoms, Sports, Music
Default The Rockwall - Paint Pots to Floe Lake - Late June 2020

Hi all,

not sure if this is the best place to post or if there's a better sub or even site to go searching for trekking partners but I'm interested in doing The Rockwall this Spring on my trip out west. It's always good to have trekking partners but from what I've been reading with respect to The Rockwall it's especially important due to it being so far off of the beaten path and the general bear population in that area.

Just curious if anyone would be interested in joining me. My itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 June 26th - Paint Pots Trailhead to Helmet Falls Campground.

Day 2 June 27th - Helmet Falls Campground to Tumbling Creek Campground.

Day 3 June 28th - Tumbling Creek Campground to Numa Creek Campground.

Day 4 June 29th - Numa Creek Campground to Floe Lake Trailhead (hiking out).

I've checked pad availability at the sites and there's still ample availability at all 3 sites. I have read that Numa Creek can be difficult that early in the year due to water levels so that's the only major concern. Floe Lake Campground also isn't available to book that early in the year due to snow. Anyways any criticism or interest is appreciated, haven't done backcountry in the Canadian Rockies.

Cheers,
Zivs

P.S. Ideally I would love to do Sunshine to Assiniboine but wanted to have a contingency. Won't know if that's viable until June 26th when the booking for that day starts for Og/Magog. However, if I manage to find partner(s) for The Rockwall then I'm 100% committed, just figured it was worth stating .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 06:45 AM
Headed for the Mountains

End of June seems a bit early for this, usually mid-July to mid-September would be best. Depends what you're willing/able to hike through (mud, snow, high water levels).
If Assiniboine is open that early you shouldn't have trouble booking it either (I had no trouble booking Assiniboine for peak season last year but wasn't able to book the Rockwall for the same time this year).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2021, 01:45 AM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

anyone care to speculate on what late June will look like this year for the Rockwall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2021, 06:23 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB View Post
anyone care to speculate on what late June will look like this year for the Rockwall?

Well it's late May and snow is almost at valley bottom in Banff/Canmore with all peaks plastered white and good weather seemingly nowhere in sight. Rockies are unpredictable but I'd say still snowbound Rockwall in June basically too early
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2021, 10:00 PM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

Thanks for that update, I thought it was a wild chance but it seems like conditions are so varied everywhere. Iíll keep an eye on Berg as traditionally thatís my first hike anyway, I was just hoping to actually get to do the Rockwall one day. Seems like a lot of early season permits have been snapped up so it could be a busy year for SARS again if those peeps arenít 4 season prepared

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page