Garibaldi Black Tusk or similar in 25-26 July - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Garibaldi Black Tusk or similar in 25-26 July

Looking for a partner for a two day hike either to Black Tusk or another interesting hike in Garibaldi park.
Preferably in 25-26 but can also be 26-27 or 27-28 of July.

I am not a Canadian so double the experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

If you are strong and set a good pace; you could do this as a long day hike with an early start. Early start so your finish time takes you back to the car by early to mid evening.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:41 PM
Summit Master

... and you don't really need partner. That area is so busy you will never be alone anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

And difficult to get a campground spot at that time of year especially on the weekend. Certainly lots of people like to camp and day hike the area. But just as many day hike right from the parking lot. Black Tusk can be done in 8-10 hours as can Panorama Ridge. You can even do both if you add an extra couple of hours. There are great ramblings in between them around cinder cone and Helm Glacier. Maybe you want to enjoy sitting around Garibaldi Lake for a day and then staying overnight makes sense. Price and Clinker are additional destinations.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the responses guys.
I think I am a mid to strong hiker.
For comparison I did Cloud's Rest in Yosemite which is 23.3km and 550m elevation gain in 5.5 hours.
Black Tusk is triple the elevation but a little bit more in in length (25km).
So I guess 8-10 hours sounds ok.

As I arrive by flight to Vancouver, I will have to rent a car for this.
So I might think of doing a two day in the park.

So do you recommend going one day to Black Tusk and one day to Panorama Ridge?
Do you have any good idea for a camping spot? The Garibaldi Lake? Any other interesting spot?

Thanks in advance! This forum looks like a great place to get familiar with Canada's hikes.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:18 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: photography, craft beer

I’ve done the Tusk many times as a daytrip and once as an overnight. I must say I prefer the overnight but I do enjoy the challenge the dayhike requires. Although I curse myself on the final 2km of switchbacks after a long day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
If you are strong and set a good pace; you could do this as a long day hike with an early start. Early start so your finish time takes you back to the car by early to mid evening.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:17 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

There is also Taylor Meadows camp spot, it is a bit better situated if you are going to attempt both Black Tusk and Panorama ridge, but the Garibaldi lake campsite is more scenic. I'd go up midweek early in the day, drop tent & claim campspot at Garibaldi Lake, go up Panorama Ridge and then if you feel up to it do the Tusk as well. If not, go back down to Garibaldi Lake and do Black Tusk the next day. Either way i'm sure you will enjoy it!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:44 PM
DWW
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
There is also Taylor Meadows camp spot, it is a bit better situated if you are going to attempt both Black Tusk and Panorama ridge, but the Garibaldi lake campsite is more scenic. I'd go up midweek early in the day, drop tent & claim campspot at Garibaldi Lake, go up Panorama Ridge and then if you feel up to it do the Tusk as well. If not, go back down to Garibaldi Lake and do Black Tusk the next day. Either way i'm sure you will enjoy it!
If you do Black Tusk the next day, do you bring all your stuff so you can go through Taylor Meadows on the way down? Or do you leave it at the campground? Thx
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:12 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWW View Post
If you do Black Tusk the next day, do you bring all your stuff so you can go through Taylor Meadows on the way down? Or do you leave it at the campground? Thx

I would not. Benefit of going light far outweights few extra km of (downhill) walking on the way back.

But, if already camping by the lake, I'd do it differently. First day, early in, set camp, then go and do Price with light pack. Then next day, pack up, leave extra gear in shelter & go do Panorama/Tusk, come back and hike out.
xj6response and DWW like this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for all your comments.
Summarising all up, what do you think of the below:

Option 1:

1st day:
Start early (8am) and go from Rubble Creek to Taylor meadows where I set camp and only hike light continuing up to Black Tusk summit.
Returning back to Taylor meadows but going through Garibaldi Lake on the way back.
Camping the night at Taylor meadows.

2nd day:
Starting up early (6:30am) going to Panorama Ridge and going back to Taylor Meadows to take camp gear back to Rubble Creek.

Option 2:
Same as option 1, just do the Garibaldi Lake visit on the next day.

What do you think? Is that reasonable?
How much Kms is each day? 20-24?

P.S. I chose Taylor Meadows because currently Garibaldi Lake campgrounds is fully booked for the dates I want.

Thanks!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:10 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearforce View Post
Thanks for all your comments.
Summarising all up, what do you think of the below:

Option 1:

1st day:
Start early (8am) and go from Rubble Creek to Taylor meadows where I set camp and only hike light continuing up to Black Tusk summit.
Returning back to Taylor meadows but going through Garibaldi Lake on the way back.
Camping the night at Taylor meadows.

2nd day:
Starting up early (6:30am) going to Panorama Ridge and going back to Taylor Meadows to take camp gear back to Rubble Creek.

Option 2:
Same as option 1, just do the Garibaldi Lake visit on the next day.

What do you think? Is that reasonable?
How much Kms is each day? 20-24?

P.S. I chose Taylor Meadows because currently Garibaldi Lake campgrounds is fully booked for the dates I want.

Thanks!

You are doubling on same trail unnecessarily. You have 3rd far better option. Dropping from Taylor to Garibaldi Lake is trivial, specially with day pack. So:

Day 1:

Hike to Taylor and set camp. Drop to Garibaldi Lake. Have lunch by the lake. Continue and summit Price (fab views as sun will be behind you). Return to camp. Return trip Taylor - Price - Taylor can be done in 8 hrs (top). That's 12 hr day, most with light pack. 8 am start from Rubble, 8 pm finish at camp.

Day 2:

Pack camp, leave gear in Taylor day-shelter. Panorama Ridge first, on return Black Tusk. Return to Taylor and hike out to Rubble. Again, most with light pack. 10-11 hrs

Last edited by zeljkok; 07-08-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page