Clear Alouette July2 and July9 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By alhike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Clear Alouette July2 and July9

I'm still trying to get local (Maple Ridge, Mission, Pitt Meadows, Pitt Coquitlam, Langley) recruits from CT who enjoy hiking in Golden Ears. My group hopes that some of you who are concerned about this park's future can eventually take over our stewardship. It seems to us that BCParks staff wishes the G.E. backcountry network to fade away. Like in other areas, the G.E. backcountry trails are "user maintained". It's up to us users to make a good impression to convince the Rangers these trails are worth saving. We enjoy the accomplishments volunteers have made in many other areas, so lets do our share in our home park. We need to expand our team's skill set: we need promoters, fund raisers, bridge builders...

Current project:
So far we cleared to about 7.75k of the 11k trail. We were only 3. With a few more, we could have run a 2nd brush cutter and got to 9k.

Next sessions: Saturdays, July 2nd and July 9th.
Meet at Incline Trailhead at 0715 (i.e., through the park gate at the 0700 opening)
Respond if you can join us.
trick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:37 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Volunteering

Hello,

I live in the Langley area and love golden ears! I'd like to help out clearing the Alouette Mountain trail. How many hours do you expect to be on the trail for? I might be able to join this Saturday! and will definitely be there help on the 9th of July
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Sonia, we will be about 10 hours on the trail. I expect we'll clear to at least 9k this Saturday. Thanks for your response. Looking forward to working with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:27 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Great! I plan to be there this Saturday!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

We have a great team lined up for the 2nd! 8 forsures,some from Ct, that is enough to pack a 3rd brush cutter up to make the job quick and easy, possibly to 10k. Matt, hope you got my directions. Don't forget the deet. Long pants and long sleeve shirt are more than recommended for the brushing part of the day, work gloves are necessary as the brush is prickly.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks Sonia and Matt for joining our team for a productive brushing day up Alouette. It was such a relief to have a descent sized crew high up the trail, so your help is greatly appreciated. We were very meticulous and proactive with our brushing, pruning and encroaching tree removal, so our results will be long lasting.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

The trail clearing session is on for Saturday July 9.

If the weather is good, we will clear between 9 and 10k up Alouette Mt - a 10hour (plus) day. If it is not so good, we will clear something closer and easier - a 5 to 8 hour day depending on conditions.

Meet at Incline Trailhead at 0715 (i.e., through the park gate at the 0700 opening)
You need durable clothes for any weather and work gloves. Tools are provided. Repellent is advisable
Respond if you can join us.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Frank and I went up yesterday and got through the crux of kinky brush to get 1.6km from the top. That puts us to within reach of finishing in one more day, as it will be much quicker and easier to finish the remaining distance. Thus, I'm committing to finishing the Alouette trail this weekend. Due to hiking distance, it will still be an up to 10.5 hour day. Don't blame anyone for not wanting to go out in the rain.

Meetup 0715, Saturday 9th at the actual Incline trailhead, 300m before the Mike Lake parking lot.

Please reply by early Friday morning, as I would rather change to Sunday if forecast is better.http://www.mountain-forecast.com/pea...forecasts/1000

Last edited by alhike; 07-07-2016 at 12:32 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Change to Sunday

The forecast shows Sunday as rainless, so that will be the day we work.
Meet-up at the Incline trailhead, 0715 Sunday.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page