Widgeon lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aqua Terra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Widgeon lake

At some point this year i plan to do the widgeon lake hike. From what i read its a 1 hour paddle to widgeon creek, then a 3hour+ brutal uphill ascent. So i plan to do an overnight camping/flyfishing trip there. My wife isnt a fan of me overnighting alone in such remote places, reasonably so. Ive been watching the snow/ice levels and i believe this trip may be doable in may or june. I have my own raft so i wont need to rent a kayak. I will be hauling said raft up to widgeon lake too, which will be brutal, but ive done similar hikes in the past even with such a heavy load. If anyone wants to endure the brutallity with me, please feel free to message me. Ill go whether i find a hiking partner or not, but for safety sake would preffer to not go it solo, although ive done longer and tougher hikes solo in the past. If you dont have flyfishing gear, and would like to try it, i have extra fly gear i could bring also. Thanks for reading.

As i side note ill also be doing an overnighter to lindeman/greendrop/flora relatively soon(april/may). same conditions, heavy raft laden pack, will go with or without company, but prefer company. If intetested with this also please feel free to message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

If you're hauling a raft, you can camp on the island, which might put your wife's mind at ease if you're going solo.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

great idea! I most definately appreciate that. Theres no way bigfoot can get me there. (lolz)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Been up to the lake twice; your estimate of time is about right. Beautiful spot, and camp area right near the outflow from Widgeon Lake. Not sure about the island though !

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I wouldnt camp where i would cause any disruption to delecate wildlife, so if there is already a camp site on the island, i would take it for sure. im doubtful thats the case and so ill camp in the appropreate place. Im not afraid of bigfoot or other animals getting me lol. I just wanted to joke about it. The outflow creek spot sounds lovely too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:53 AM
Summit Master

like many hikes (in lakes), most seems simple and easy until the last 30%, widgeon is no exception and wont dissapoint
activegirl49 likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:25 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johneb View Post
I wouldnt camp where i would cause any disruption to delecate wildlife, so if there is already a camp site on the island, i would take it for sure. im doubtful thats the case and so ill camp in the appropreate place. Im not afraid of bigfoot or other animals getting me lol. I just wanted to joke about it. The outflow creek spot sounds lovely too.
The island is directly off of the shore next to the campsite, less than a dozen meters out. There was a cabin standing on the island about 20 years ago, but it's since been razed. When it was still standing, you could go inside and read the fishing derby scores written on the walls. You can certainly camp on the island without hurting anything.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the imput guys, i appreciate it. Im hoping for it to be grueling, thats part of why i picked it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I did a 27 mile trip last year in the states, up and down 3 ridges/mountains 14000ft total elevation gain/loss in 1 1/2 days. (part of the pacific crest trail. So this widgeon lake trip shouldnt exceed my capabilities. Again thanks for any imput you have. And hopefully i can find someone willing to go up with me.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 12:34 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I just picked up my uboat from storage today. It's been too long since I've taken it out, for various reasons. I'll give you a big maybe on a Widgeon Lake trip. It really depends which weekend you would like to go, and if the weather cooperates and such. This Gregory Denali 100L pack I bought should be excellent for uboat packin' + camping gear

Also, are you thinking of a one or two nighter?

And on a side note I hiked to Greendrop Lake last weekend. There is still a fair amount of snow from around the half way point between Lindeman and Greendrop. Greendrop was still frozen solid, and I'd imagine Flora will stay frozen well into May if not longer..
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 02:59 AM
Scaling New Heights

We done Wigeon lake this weekend, we will write a trip report tomorrow and give details. We camped on the edge of the lake. Worth the effort
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Ok uboat sounds good, im pretty flexible as to what weekend i plan on going and of coarse would want good weather conditions. I would prefer a 1 nighter, but again i may be flexible to do a 2 nighter if need be.
Thanks for the heads up about greendrop, looks like ill put that one off until late may.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: photography, craft beer

I've been wanting to do this hike for years. Hit me up if you haven't gone yet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page