West Coast Trail Summer of 2016 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling
Default West Coast Trail Summer of 2016

So it turns out that my friends can't make it on the WCT this summer. Is anyone looking to get a group together to do the trail? I'm not even totally sure myself if I can make it due to my busy schedule but hoping to figure that out in the next month or two. I was hoping for a more relaxed pace of a 7 day trip. I was even told by a few people to take 10 days and do a bunch of the side trails but I really doubt that I'd be able to swing 10 days from work. Definitely not looking to power hike it in 4 or 5 days. Even if I can't make it due to work conflicts, I figured this would be a good thread for others to get a group together.
Paddleman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 05:24 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Football, cycling, skiing

Greetings,
I'm planning to go backpacking in BC for the whole of August. I would like to do this hike and a relaxed pace also suits me fine.
So if anyone is planning to do this somewhere in August I'm definitely up for it!
Paddleman likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Be aware that reservations are already open for this summer and it does fill up fast
Paddleman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
Be aware that reservations are already open for this summer and it does fill up fast
That's good to know. For some reason I thought registration didn't open until March.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Historically yes, but Parks Canada is switching to full season booking starting in January for most campgrounds including WCT. Lake O'hara is still April and backcountry camping (with the exception of WCT and Jasper) will remain on the 90 day advance booking process (for this year at least)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 12:33 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, gardening, reading

You're well advised to NOT try doing the power hike in a short amount of time. The trail can be very wet & challenging for well-experienced hikers. The 7 day idea is what I'd go for personally + I know that if you can make it, you'll have a blast. A trip you'll always remember.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

As discussed on a similar thread a few days ago, the WCT is definitely doable in 3-4 days (record is 9.5 hours), depending on your physical condition and the weather. However due to the cost (trail fees, trail bus, ferry/airfare), unless your schedule is constrained or the physical challenge is your goal, I'd recommend taking the 7 days at a leisurely pace. We did it in 6 days last year, but in hindsight we'll take the extra day next time (doing Gordon River to Campers in a day made for a bit of a slog)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I'm definitely planning on no less than a 7 day trip. I have friends who've said if they were ever to do it again, they would go for 10 days to explore some of the side trails. Does anyone know if the side trails are worth taking? Is there anything worth seeing to justify the extra few days? 10 days seems like a little much to me especially with trying to take 10 days worth of food along. It's doable but would take up extra pack space and add weight.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

10 days is a lot of food, unless you stock up on $5 candy bars, etc at Moniques.. And I didn't see any side-trails worth taking when I did it, certainly none that had me thinking I'd want to do them, if I ever went on the WCT again.

Seven days would give you plenty of time to do more exploring of the camp sites and surrounding area, and/or the luxury of holing up during any miserable weather and waiting for a better window.

But check out some of the trip reports here and see what other people have done, and why. I've never read one that was longer than 6 days, btw.

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I wouldn't want to do 10 days. I am on the faster end of hikers, and 4 nights had me into camp by 5 on 3 of the days and 2 pm one of them, so it was ok.
7 days would be nice for a leisurely pace

if you have 10+ days, then you could do both the juan de fuca (or some of it) and the WCT, and resupply in port renfrew!

Or could explore somewhere else on the island.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Costal hiking on Vancouver Island, Seakayaking in Folding Kayaks

Did that in June 2000, South to North

was a great hike, starting out from Mystic Beach, spent a nite in the attic of the old Port Renfrew Hotel, picked up a resupply box in the post Office

finnished 5 days later in Bamfield

still remember the hike it was THE trip of 2000
alpalmer likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I have a reservation for a Sept.4 start. I'm planning a 7 day south to north hike. It is looking like I may be going solo. I know it is a friendly trail, so I'm looking forward to meeting hikers along the way. Cheers
alpalmer likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 10:22 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hello! My name is Kayla and I'm a social worker from ottawa. I'm not sure how much success I will have here but I'm looking to join a hiker or group to do the West Coast Trail this summer. I'm going to be on Vancouver Island from July 3-July 15. I booked the trip with my partner and we were hoping to get a walk on/cancellation spot on the trail (no reservations). Unfortunately, my partner and I broke up. However, I'm still planning to go (flights are non refundable, of course) and would like to do the west coast trail if anyone has a spot they are looking to fill in early July. Hoping this works out!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 05:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Costal hiking on Vancouver Island, Seakayaking in Folding Kayaks

kayla, if you are on your own, it is most likley that you can scoop a spot without reservations, there is alyways somebody not showing up, also there are a few first come first serves spots avaliable, perhaps you have to wait a day at the most.
Dont worry about going solo, you will meet lots of other hikers and as the days go on, share campfires and find great new friends!

This summer i will be hiking farther north and wish you a great hike!

Last advice: start in Port Renfrew and after the trial, catch the Frances Barkley to Port Alberni, it is the best way to end the one of the best hikes in Canada!

servus

Willi
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:57 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the advice and feedback Will. I was also thinking hiking alone would be a good option but thought I might be a bit crazy for thinking that. Anything safety wise I should be concerned about on my own? Typically, is there often ppl nearest when hiking?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page