Quest for conquering wedge mountain Sep 5 & 6 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

6Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Quest for conquering wedge mountain Sep 5 & 6

Going to hike up to wedgemount lake on saturday the 5th. Camp and summit on the 6th. I've been up once before but just explored the area.

It has snowed up there recently so I'll be bringing mountaineering boots and just in case Ill be bringing crampons and an ice axe.

Post in here and also pm me if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

weather looks relatively good considering the state of things recently. Cold but good. I'm leaving early afternoon tomorrow as I volunteer through the night tonight.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 01:37 AM
Summit Master

conquer? or just simply hope for a safe trip with your educated decisions and break in weather? enjoy and report back.
ashi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Terra View Post
conquer? or just simply hope for a safe trip with your educated decisions and break in weather? enjoy and report back.
thank you for your concern, and that is always my hope and plan.

I'll try to snap some good photos if I'm able to reach the top depending on the weather.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Some people including myself don't like to use the word conquer when talking about summiting a mountain as the mountain was there long before us and will be there long after, we are just visitors. Most of the battle of summiting is internal (too tired or afraid) anyways and you are just conquering a part of your self. I wish you good luck on your attempt.
AT_ThruHiker likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
Some people including myself don't like to use the word conquer when talking about summiting a mountain as the mountain was there long before us and will be there long after, we are just visitors. Most of the battle of summiting is internal (too tired or afraid) anyways and you are just conquering a part of your self. I wish you good luck on your attempt.
I think the best way for me to respond to this is to be as open and honest as possible. I realize why you said you avoid using the word 'conquer', because it does imply that one has ownership over something that in the end we cannot own. However I didn't mean it that way in the slightest. In the end what we call a 'mountain' is just a bunch of minerals. Formed through the steady progression of geological processes. This in turn governed by chemistry and physics. Do you see how we reduce scale constantly? Mountains are not conscious, aware, or anything else. They are exactly the sum of their physical properties, nothing more. A mountain is just our word to describe nature. Anything on top is just our human brain imparting our own meaning onto it.

To tell me that I cannot conquer a mountain, is to tell someone that they cannot simply drive down a perilous road, the road has to let you drive it. It's as meaningless and nonsensical as saying that person X's pain is far worse than person Y, when you know nothing about that person.

You're right about these things being internal. So do not presume to know my internal state.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Num3n View Post

To tell me that I cannot conquer a mountain, is to tell someone that they cannot simply drive down a perilous road, the road has to let you drive it. .
If/when you fail again, like you did the last time when you couldn't even find the trail, does that mean the mountain conquers you?
burndug and DPM like this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 12:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Enjoying this debate. My turn
I think when people say they're "conquering" a mountain, what they're really saying is that they've overcome adversity and all the challenges experienced along the way. Summiting a difficult mountain is an accomplishment. The word "conquer" is just that. A word.

Kind of like when you say "the trail kicked my ass". We like to assign personality to inanimate things. We know it's not real. The trail didn't kick your ass. You just got tired. But it's not as entertaining or descriptive of the emotion to say "I got tired".

"Conquering" a mountain evokes emotion. "Walking up" a mountain doesn't sound very exciting, does it?

(personally, I don't use the word "conquer" either, but I get what people are trying to say)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

Wow! Nowhere in Mile W's post did he tell you to do anything. Pretty hilarious how uptight you are about semantics.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
just in case Ill be bringing crampons and an ice axe.
What about bacon? Bacon and conquest are inexorably linked. Baconquest. Yum.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Scaling New Heights

Well Num3n did you make it, conquer it, summit, kick it's ass? Interested to find out.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Yes, we're on the edge of our seats waiting to hear about the epic baconquest of that mineral pile known as Wedge Mountain. TR Please!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
I think the best way for me to respond to this is to be as open and honest as possible. I realize why you said you avoid using the word 'conquer', because it does imply that one has ownership over something that in the end we cannot own. However I didn't mean it that way in the slightest. In the end what we call a 'mountain' is just a bunch of minerals. Formed through the steady progression of geological processes. This in turn governed by chemistry and physics. Do you see how we reduce scale constantly? Mountains are not conscious, aware, or anything else. They are exactly the sum of their physical properties, nothing more. A mountain is just our word to describe nature. Anything on top is just our human brain imparting our own meaning onto it.

To tell me that I cannot conquer a mountain, is to tell someone that they cannot simply drive down a perilous road, the road has to let you drive it. It's as meaningless and nonsensical as saying that person X's pain is far worse than person Y, when you know nothing about that person.

You're right about these things being internal. So do not presume to know my internal state.
Just thinking about this.... If you want take a reductionist approach, you're really not conquering anything, regardless of your internal state (not that I want to get into metaphysics, a subject I know little about). Using your logic, everyone is just a jumble of minerals, elements, etc, and through biological processes under the laws of physics and chemistry, you ended up on that pile of minerals (Wedge Mountain). So...did you really conquer anything?

If you did conquer something, then you believe that you somehow have more consciousness than a pile of minerals, but you know nothing of it's internal state.

Not sure what it means if you didn't conquer anything. But guntis makes a solid point. Walking up a mountain sounds far less epic than saying you conquered it.

Don't take this too seriously, it's the interwebs, and I'm rambling. I hope you had a good time up there.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Banned

This whole thread is shit.
cutthroat22 and 5thhorseman like this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 12:28 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Which way to the trailhead again?
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page