Ape Lake base camp by floatplane - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Ape Lake base camp by floatplane

Myself, Candysack and one other are planning on flying in to Ape Lake in the Chilcotins on the evening of June 29th and returning on the morning of July 4th (may extend that to the evening if people want to). We are looking for 2-3 more people to join us.

We will have 4 full days then to explore this amazingly beautiful area. Early plans are to scramble up Poet and Musician and then we'll see whatever else catches our eye when we're there. You can check this place out here:

http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Ape%20Lake.htm

You'd be welcome to join us scrambling or do your own thing, use it as a base camp for photography, do some day hikes, mooch at the late or whatever.

We will fly in from Nimpo Lake. I will be driving from Squamish early on the 29th if you need a ride up from the Vancouver area and I have room for everyone in my van if you want a ride from there or Lillooet or Williams Lake or wherever that's on the way.

Costs will be a share of gas and the floatplane flight. This will vary depending on the amount for people who go but the MAXIMUM price will be no more than $400 but may be down to $280 depending on numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I would love to join you guys I'll have to check my vacation schedule to see if I can get the time how soon do you need to know by
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Banned

n/a

Last edited by Eryne; 11-30-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreHill View Post
I would love to join you guys I'll have to check my vacation schedule to see if I can get the time how soon do you need to know by
Hi 1MoreHill, there's no particular hurry, take your time. There's nothing 100% booked or paid for yet. We're at 3 people as it stands right now and can go in the Cessna for $350 each so we're not dependent on bigger numbers. We just thought a larger group gives more scope for people hooking up to do things that suit them and their ability so the more the merrier really.

If we take others we will need the Beaver which can take up to 6. We really need two or three more though for that to be financially worthwhile. If it's 4 total (1 more than we have now) then it's actually more money than 3 in the Cessna ($420 per person) so it wouldn't really be worth it. However, 5 of us would make it $336 per person and 6 would drop it to $280 per person.

Let me know when you can. And keep asking questions if you have them.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryne View Post
We're hiking in for the August long weekend. I am very interested to learn about the float plane option. How spendy is that?
Hi Eryne, see post above for details. It's with Tweedsmuir Air out of Nimpo Lake.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by seboyle View Post
Early plans are to scramble up Poet and Musician
Pick a good-weather day to do it and take some pics of the Borealis Peaks please. Then post your trip report when you get back.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Pick a good-weather day to do it and take some pics of the Borealis Peaks please. Then post your trip report when you get back.
Will do. CS writes a good TR so I'll leave that to him but will try and get the shots for you.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Banned

Doink! Still spots for 1-2 people.
seboyle likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 02:13 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

russianfront is camped on Jacobsen Lake right now. Not sure, because he's just on Delorme, but Nimpo may bot be able to land on Ape at the moment, may have landed on Jacobsen instead. Check with them.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 04:38 PM
Banned

Thanks for the heads up, but no they are able to fly into Ape. One thing I learned is that we'll need less weight on the flight out of Ape than what we had flying out of Nimpo.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

We have one space left in the Beaver now. Price is at $336 as it stands. Would be $280 if someone else joins.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:15 AM
Scaling New Heights

I'm very interested!

Would be in for scrambling and lots of photography. I'm based in Vancouver so a ride up from Squamish would be perfect. Don't know how you guys are organizing everything but send me an email! [email protected]
seboyle likes this.

Last edited by TheStu; 06-12-2015 at 02:54 AM.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
I'm very interested!

Would be in for scrambling and lots of photography. I'm based in Vancouver so a ride up from Squamish would be perfect. Don't know how you guys are organizing everything but send me an email! [email protected]
Would be great to have you along Stu. I promise it will be easier than our last trip.

There's apparently an issue over flying out of Ape Lake (we need less weight on the way out). So I need to speak to Tweedsmuir Air to clarify that and exactly what weight we can have but hopefully it will all work out and we'll get you on board.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Scaling New Heights

Sounds good I weigh ~165 if it matters.
seboyle likes this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:54 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Just a curious question. How much snow do you expect to at this time of the year?
The lake looks georgeous on Google Map, but the picture looks like it was taken later in the year.
Are you still planning on going and do you still have room in the plane?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page