New Hiking Group Ages 20 - 30 - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I skimmed through the replies and I'm surprised no one asked this question. What happens when the long time 20-30s club members become 30+? Does the restriction change or are those members asked to leave?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Too many to list.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Marko

Personally, I think clubs with age restrictions imply that hooking up is one of the objectives.
Typically people in their 20-30s would use something like Plenty of Fish, or just go to the bar if they wanted to "hook up."
post #48 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matt

Quote:

Personally, I think clubs with age restrictions imply that hooking up is one of the objectives.
Typically people in their 20-30s would use something like Plenty of Fish, or just go to the bar if they wanted to "hook up."
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Are you implying that people joining a 20-30s outdoor club would not be looking to hook up? Hilarious.

Have you been on POF? It's certainly not just a 20-30s crowd. However, I would sooner recommend Sarah join POF and find outdoorsy guys (or girls) on there, rather than a 20-30s outdoor club. I'm part of a few meetup groups/clubs and it doesn't take Sherlock to figure out the ones whose goal is more than just the outdoors.

My point is that if you're joining an age specific club, your priority may not simply be to get outdoors. Is there something wrong with that? No. Simply be aware of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Are you implying that people joining a 20-30s outdoor club would not be looking to hook up? Hilarious.

Have you been on POF? It's certainly not just a 20-30s crowd. However, I would sooner recommend Sarah join POF and find outdoorsy guys (or girls) on there, rather than a 20-30s outdoor club. I'm part of a few meetup groups/clubs and it doesn't take Sherlock to figure out the ones whose goal is more than just the outdoors.

My point is that if you're joining an age specific club, your priority may not simply be to get outdoors. Is there something wrong with that? No. Simply be aware of it.
Just because you are able to figure out who in the group is trying to hook up with whom doesn't mean that everybody in the group is looking to hook up, or that the group was created for the purpose of hooking up. It's just that you get some older individual, typically male, who thinks that just because he didn't put on as much of a spare tire as his peers that he's somehow attractive to a woman 20 years younger. I've seen in both in groups I've been a part of, and even observed it in groups that I haven't been a part of but ended up sharing the trail or a lunch spot with.

Yes, I've been on POF.
post #50 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

It's just that you get some older individual, typically male, who thinks that just because he didn't put on as much of a spare tire as his peers that he's somehow attractive to a woman 20 years younger. I've seen in both in groups I've been a part of, and even observed it in groups that I haven't been a part of but ended up sharing the trail or a lunch spot with.

Yes, I've been on POF.
I see. So the idea of this club is to protect the 20-30 year old women from the presumably much older men? What about the 20-30 year old unattractive men that may be even more aggressive? Perhaps it should be a beautiful people only club? Also, what happens when these 20-30 year olds get older? Are they kicked out of the club? The idea seems somewhat naive. Maybe I have to be 20-30 years old to understand it?

A good club should have a code of conduct. If women are being harassed, those doing the harassing should be kicked out. In the Calgary Outdoor Club, I've seen men (of all ages) harass women (of all ages). Sometimes something is said and something is done about it. I've also seen women just stop coming on events. They need to learn to stand up for themselves rather than isolate themselves.
post #51 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Quote:

It's just that you get some older individual, typically male, who thinks that just because he didn't put on as much of a spare tire as his peers that he's somehow attractive to a woman 20 years younger. I've seen in both in groups I've been a part of, and even observed it in groups that I haven't been a part of but ended up sharing the trail or a lunch spot with.

Yes, I've been on POF.
I see. So the idea of this club is to protect the 20-30 year old women from the presumably much older men? What about the 20-30 year old unattractive men that may be even more aggressive? Perhaps it should be a beautiful people only club? Also, what happens when these 20-30 year olds get older? Are they kicked out of the club? The idea seems somewhat naive. Maybe I have to be 20-30 years old to understand it?

A good club should have a code of conduct. If women are being harassed, those doing the harassing should be kicked out. In the Calgary Outdoor Club, I've seen men (of all ages) harass women (of all ages). Sometimes something is said and something is done about it. I've also seen women just stop coming on events. They need to learn to stand up for themselves rather than isolate themselves.
There are a lot of informal clubs that exist as an e-mailing list between friends and acquaintances. I joined one such club years ago from a posting on a bulletin board at a trail head. Typically these clubs last a season and then dissolve when the organizer loses interest. Nobody cares to write up a code of conduct. Members who don't fit in are typically deleted from the mailing list and hence no longer invited or provided sufficient details to invite themselves to events.
post #52 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HA99

Hey dru why did you change what I posted? I am going to flagyou and suggest removal from clubtread. You mightbe the most distinguished member to be banned from clubtread
I second this motion. If he's such a great member, why has he never offered me bacon?
post #53 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I agree with Marko's point. I'm a 30+ male who enjoyed hiking with people of all ages.

The idea that hiking clubs for the 20-30's age group are to protect young women from "dirty old farts" is ridiculous. It's amazing how many self-hating old men are on this board. If a young girl is going to be harassed, it's most likely by men of their own age group.

Such clubs emerge because many guys and girls in their early 20's don't like to hang out/ socialize with older folk. And, as Marko pointed out, such clubs are viewed as hooking-up / getting laid venues. Nothing bad in this obviously, but it looks kind of too obvious...
post #54 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HA99

All this nonsense is clubtread for you, a lot of members look for excuses to post nonsense that is completely irrelevant

Im 29 male and would like to join your hiking group
Maybe learning how to read would be a helpful endeavor. From looking at your posting I see nothing has changed. Bacon is really good brain food.......
post #55 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Summit Master

this is the official salty old dirty bacon thread, any female under 31 will be hooked 4 ever.
post #56 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Gold may be in free fall but pork belly futures are up. Discussing gold panning is banned on CT, but a pan full of bacon over a camp fire is totally legit.

No need to wear a helmet to cook it either. Right harry?
post #57 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Summit Master

a facemask maybe more appropiate
post #58 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Summit Master

I heard that HA99 doesn't even like bacon.
post #59 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Summit Master

Seriously. Why the hue and cry? Nobody bats an eye when someone starts a senior's group, or a 55+ club, or a "40 and fabulous" club, or a new moms' child-friendly club. Yet when a bunch of 20-somethings have the audacity (and initiative) to get something together for their own age group, their motives are picked apart. Holy. Is there something wrong with younger people reaching out to meet others the same age and at roughly the same stage of life?

If you like hiking with people of all ages (as I do), there's a plethora of clubs and meetup groups to choose from that do not specify age groups. Can always join one of those instead of obsessing about what other people are doing that you aren't part of.

I'm going to check out that new bacon group though...
post #60 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

I skimmed through the replies and I'm surprised no one asked this question. What happens when the long time 20-30s club members become 30+? Does the restriction change or are those members asked to leave?

It's like Menudo. They just disappear and someone younger comes along to replace them.

No one notices.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page