french girl for hiking with... - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alpalmer

oh my, bacon hijacks another thread [:0]
Yup. All these lame jokes have been said already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Anyone ever try bacon jam? So good.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Summit Master

There is nitrate free bacon - but it's quite expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

I just ate the last pound of my nitrate/nitrite free Bacon today.....Must get more.

Almost everything is or will be a known carcinogen so we may as well enjoy life.....The heavily polluted air we breath everyday here on the coast is full of all kinds of crap pumped out here and blown over on the jetstream from China....

Bacon is good.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by joon

Hello!

I'm a french young woman coming to vancouver in August on the 5th for 3 weeks. I'm looking for partner to discover the aera. I plan to be on Vancouver island one week around the 15th.

I'm not well experienced and I'm looking for 4 or 5H of hike, in nice environnement. I'm keen on forests, lakes, mountain, whatever with a nice landscape!

Is anyone participating in hikes I can join ? or interested to show me your nice region ?

thanx
June
Hi June, I hope you haven't been scared away! Consider this an introduction to the Canadian sense of humour [:I] I have no idea what my schedule will be in August. If the timing works out, I'd be happy to give you a tour of Lynn Canyon. If not, I recommend catching the seabus to Lonsdale Quay and then the #228 or #229 bus to this park. It has a suspension bridge, water falls, nice trails, etc.

http://lynncanyon.ca/
post #36 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 07:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Most or all of the "nitrate free" bacons contain a certain ingredient called celery extract, which is (surprise, surprise) nitrates, but they don't have to call it that. Nitrates are added for good reason for the curing, during the cure they transform to nitrites. You can't make true bacon without them, no matter what the label says. They're not as bad as rumour has it, one thick-cut good bacon rasher is offset by about 15 minutes flat hike, 10 minutes climbing. Conversion ratio made up on the spot, don't quote me.
I love bacon, but don't fool yourself that it can be even remotely health food. What is really important is don't waste your bacon quota on cheap nasty industrial bacon, only eat the good stuff!

And back to the original topic (bacon certainly is distracting, isn't it) beware that french girl and food. If you want to impress her you will have to really, really try. Food is different in France, I've been there and it is truly astonishing just how good the food is and how widespread. We have a tiny number of truly good restaurants here, far more fancy-service-and-tablecloths ones serving dreary industrial "fine dining" that wouldn't fool a true gourmand for a microsecond, and virtually none of what in France are commonplace, a plain-looking ordinary restaurant with wobbly tables and chipped plated, yet serving positively divine food for modest prices.

I suggest a high hike-in lake with reliable trout fishing, pack a jar of chopped fresh herbs, garlic and butter, lemon and a bag of seasoned flour for dredging. Pasta and pesto for a side, or the boil-in-bag indian food, perhaps Palak Paneer and pulau rice.
Shake the trout with the flour, fry in butter and garlic, remove fins and separate meat from skeleton. Heat again with herbs and lemon, serve. That will get her attention, as long as you remembered to chill the wine in the snow-fed creek.
Gewurztraminer, Riesling or if you really like her a sweetish Alsace would be a suitable pairing.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Alex, you've got style[^]
post #38 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Bumming around above treeline.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alexcanuck
perhaps Palak Paneer and pulau rice.
Nothing more needs to be said except... bring two pouches of the gits brand stuff!
post #39 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Headed for the Mountains

This vid should help make it all clear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK9bjLy3v4
post #40 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

well,
I haven't expected so many answers... good laugh reading it !

maybe it's me who will scare everyone if I say we don't eat that much bacon here in France, on breakfast or whatever... but I 'm not against!! I didn't know it was such an institution in your place! the video helped.

though I'll be more tempted by the fresh trout, thanx for suggesting alex, any volonteers ? I have the Gewurztraminer in my fridge, can bring it overthere!

post #41 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Well, I hope you do get a better offer, one involving some (suitable for family viewing) romance, you know, the hand-in-hand walk at sunset and no more because you both know it would ruin the perfection of the moment.. But if all the young guys here are too scared...
We will pretend to be your Canadian Oncle et Tante and show you what real camping is, how to catch trout and how to cook them in a camp style that won't embarrass a French person.

post #42 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

BTW, don't think that offer is out of the pure goodness of heart we do have. Although we would enjoy it, and like to see a new friend discover just how great camping can be, we actually have an ulterior motive involved here. We rather like the idea of a Parisian resident who owes us a favour, nothing onerous, expensive or in any way weird or embarrassing: Before our next trip to France, probably for my 50th birthday in two years, put up a few postings in the appropriate locations to try and find someone with a spare room who wants to put us up for a week or so for some extra Euros. A local contact assists greatly for this!
We are clean, quiet, courteous and would rather stay in a home for around half the 100 Euro+ even a cheap hotel costs in Paris. Not looking for a gift, just a fair exchange.
Outside Paris we usually find a nice Chambres D'hote, but they are in short supply within Paris.

We do have ample camping gear to set you up with what you will need, and are well experienced to ensure the experience is a good one. I assure you everyone will enjoy it.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Joon, even if you are not a camper now, I heartily encourage giving it a go with these experienced people. There is nothing like the sunsets and sunrises on Vancouver Island, day trip hikes do not do justice to the scenery. An evening campfires and fresh trout/salmon is an unbeatable combination.

You have survived the rigor of a Clubtread post with fortitude and humor. You must certainly be ready for an overnight in the great British Columbia outdoors.
post #44 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Lache moi un email qd tu arrives. Je bosse, mais on peut peut-etre s'arranger
pour faire qqchose, on ne sait jamais.

post #45 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Excusez moi? Is CT turning into a dating site?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page