Hequiat Penisula in August - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, diving, snowshoeing, kayaking
Default Hequiat Penisula in August

Anyone or group needing an extra (completely self-sufficent) body to fill a plane or water taxi to/fro and to do the Hesquiat Penisula? I was thinking solo, but those cougar tracks on Nootka and North Coast got me thinking. I'd need a couple of days notice to get to Gold River. I'll post this again in July.

Happy Trails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:38 PM

Hi there.

I hiked the Hesquiat last summer. I wouldn't do it solo. There were bears everywhere (And I mean everywhere) and lots of fresh Cougar tracks around every morning. Definately go with a group. The bears in that area have not seen many people and have no fear of them.

It is a really rough, poorly marked, rocky, boulder hopping, slow progress trail with little or no water for long stretches. That said the scenery is nice. It's one I wouldn't do again.

Take the float plane trip from Gold River. It's worth the money.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, diving, snowshoeing, kayaking

Thanks for your response.

We saw a few bears on NCT last year and a couple of them just looked at us in a very disinterested way and then went back to their digging.

We were very careful in one instance not to go between one bear that was on a small peninsula and his escape route back into the forest. So we just waited until he ambled back into the woods.

A question for you regular coastal backpackers.....

…it is low tide and a bear is out on the tidal flats digging for crustaceans about 200 meters out from your likely route - would you continue down the beach passing between it and the high tide shoreline?

Thanks and Happy Trails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Bee Keeping, and Wine Making

Quote:
quote:
A question for you regular coastal backpackers.....

…it is low tide and a bear is out on the tidal flats digging for crustaceans about 200 meters out from your likely route - would you continue down the beach passing between it and the high tide shoreline?
Black Bear I would most likely walk by in those circumstances Grizzly Bear no way in hell.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 01:13 AM

I was out there 2 summers ago on a kayak trip and was told an interesting story by a fellow adventurer. He was there 1 year previous. On that trip someone in his group slept about 50 feet from camp in a Bivi-sack. He was waken by a very strong bite to his knee. He flayaled around enough to scare off the Wolf. Scary hey! My point being; a group is a GREAT idea.

I will agree with the following posters. There are alot of bears and cougar tracks. but dont count out the wolves.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:00 AM

I'd never cut off a bear from its escape route. Chill, have a rest, take some photos and let the bear get a good look and smell of you. They'll wander off on their own time and when out on a backpack trip, what's the hurry.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page