Vancouver Isalnd & Bella Coola in September - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Default Vancouver Isalnd & Bella Coola in September

Hello together!

On my Canada trip this year i want to go hiking and a little bit fishing on Vancouver Island and the Bella Coola Valley.

Because it#180;s more in the North i want to go first to Bella Coola...
I think from 6th till 12th September

From 15th till 24th September i wanna be around Strathcona, JTF or Nootka...

I#180;m mobile by Car and i want to use the Discovery Coast Ferry from Bella Bella to Port Hardy!

Another things i wanna do are Whalewatching and looking for some nice Hot Springs...

So don#180;t hesitate to ask for some other Hikingareas.. I#180;m flexible!

Till then, Robin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:21 AM

Hey, great area around Port Hardy! Though a lot of the area around there is being activily logged. If you have the chance to see the old growth cedar forest while there, its absolutely worth it. Of course, to fully appreciate the unique ecosystem up there, be sure to visit forests with super dense 2-3 meter Salal

Just a little south from there (about 10-15 minutes south from Port McNeill), in Telegraph Cove there are some really good whale watching and grizzly bear tours.

If you like cave exploration, there are also some amazing Karst topography... they are not tourist attractions though, so the see them (or find out where they are) you need to hire a guide.

Between Port Hardy and Port McNeill, keep you eyes open for "the triplets" near the road side (pic attached).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

hey!
Funny Picture... By us it is called rhododendron!

When i was 18 years old, i made a trip to vancouver island...with my mom!! Was nice but not really an adventure !!

So i know the area port hardy a little bit. Telegraph Cove is fix on my plan, but the grizzly tours to knight inlet are very expensive arent they? [:0]

I will see what the time brings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hagensborg

hey!
Funny Picture... By us it is called rhododendron!
LOL... totally different plant family though -- Gaultheria shallon (aka Salal)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

But it looks like...[8)]

How is the weather typically in september?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hagensborg
How is the weather typically in september?
Weather-wise, I'd highly recommend early September... that's been the nicest time I've been up there (much of the rest of the year, its one of the wettest and greyish places to visit). Later September and then into October, it can start getting really wet again... though weather this year has been really odd.

Bugs can get really bad late July-August... bug spray with high DEET content just seems to be mild seasoning to them [B)]. If you've ever got a choice for taking breaks and/or camping, locations around hemlock-amabilis fir forests tend to be the least buggy (partially because of the drier conditions).

Grizzly bear watching is in about the same price range as some of the whale watching... though, the funny part -- Grizzly bears are not on the island (only some of the least agressive black bears)... they take you back to the mainland by boat to see Grizzly bears [:I]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Wow, Shan, that's good quality salal... Don't let the pickers know where you found it. They're vicious - some buds and I were once chased at machete point when we were mistakenly thought to be raiding some dude's patch! Ah good old VI... dope plantations and salal groves.

C
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by caurala

Wow, Shan, that's good quality salal... Don't let the pickers know where you found it. They're vicious - some buds and I were once chased at machete point when we were mistakenly thought to be raiding some dude's patch! Ah good old VI... dope plantations and salal groves.

C
LOL... you bet it is! [8D]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Bee Keeping, and Wine Making

Hagensborg
You will have a great time in Bella Coola in early September. Shan is exactly right about the weather and bugs in September it is the best time to be there. Also there should be lots of Pink and Chum Salmon in the Bella Coola and Atnarko Rivers and they are easy and fun to catch. Despite what the locals say they are also great eating as well. Drop into the Hagensborg Motor Inn for a beer in the evening and introduce yourself to Chris Winkler (the local fishing legend) and swap a few stories with him. He is a real character and definitely a part of the Bella Coola experience.

As far as grizzly bear watching goes the tour sounds fun but you will most likely see one if your fishing on the Atnarko or Bella Coola Rivers in September.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Headed for the Mountains

There is good whale watching tour out of Port McNeill as well as Telegraph Cove, and lots of good hiking around the Port Hardy area as well. Cape Scott is a great hike, and the North Coast trail will be open mid September.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

WOW!

Hey..Thanks for all the great informations!!!!

cant wait till September!

YEAH!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

I just got back from three weeks canoing all of Nootka Sound, if that place is still on your list stick to the northen most region known as the Nuchatlitz.. the rest of it has too much active logging going on.

Good luck!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page