Vancouver hiking buddy (+climbing/biking/kayaking) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Default Vancouver hiking buddy (+climbing/biking/kayaking)

Hey there,

This summer I'd like to be out exploring almost every saterday (and some sundays), while doing a bunch of activities like hiking (50% of the time), rock climbing, and trail riding (and the occasional kayaking, roller blading, etc).

I'm kinda novice at all of the activities, but I've hit the point that none of my friends can keep up with me (<sigh>, the problem with living in the city), and I haven't yet been able to really test what my capabilities and limitations are. For hiking, I know I can easily do 20km with no elvation change, or 2 runs up the Grouse Grind in a row (both runs being under an hour each)... what that'll mean when taking on the "real" trails up a mountain, I'm hoping to find out soon. For climbing, I do mainly 5.10's indoors, and getting into outdoor climbing is on my wish list this summer (perhaps start with top rope, then sport, and maybe some trad later).

It'd be really cool to find an outdoors buddy or two where I can start with the intermediate things, and work my way up this summer to be doing The Lions and other challanging hikes, plus a mix of trips with the other sports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 12:32 PM

Hi Shan,

Welcome to CT. Looking at your stats, your physical condition shouldn't hold you back on most hikes. Seeking hiking partners on this forum is a start, also take a look at the signup/events board. This a good opportunity to meet people of many skills. If you're not sure about a trail, the trail wiki along with browsing the related trip reports will give you a good idea of what kind of trip is being proposed. Hope this helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 11:28 PM

Shan,

I'm looking for a buddy to enjoy the outdoors with. My grind time is about 1 hour. But haven't did it twice in a row yet. I have been on some longer hikes in and around squamish. I've tried indoor & outdoor rock climbing. (just a beginner, but eager to furtehr develop my skills) Into Kayaking, camping and canoeing.

I'm new to Vancouver, looking to meet some cool people to get out and enjoy the outdoors with. I usually do something in the outdoors every weekend. Give me a shout if you want to do a hike.

Later,

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:45 AM

Shan,
I am in the exact same situation as you! I do basically everything (hiking, kayaking, biking, snowshoeing, whatever) but most of my friends either have
1. no interest in exploring
2. cant keep up if they do try
I am in pretty good shape. Grind time is normally between 40-45 minutes. I have a pretty good list of things to do this summer:
HIking:
Black tusk, lake lovely water, lions, mt steele, elsay lake, chief, mt cheam, around manning, and im reserved on the west coast trail for august 22

Kayaking:
alouette lake, howe sound, indian arm, hopefully somewhere on the sunshine coast, gulf islands....and a few others

Biking:
Elfin lakes, Golden Ears east canyon trail...and i am still working on this list.

Any of these sound interesting, let me know!
B.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:52 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking/Scrambling, Backpacking,cycling,photography, Travelling, Theatre/Arts....Exploring and Living!

Hey Shan..

I do alot of hiking/scrambling..and tend to have my own little group of gals and guys..I do occasionally try to get out to kayak(but dont' have many friends who do that) and also a beginner climber outdoors..

My friends are not always available and also seem to be getting into climbing more often than I am willing to go..(I use climbing as my last resort if weather is bad and u have to drive further to climb and enjoy the outdoors)

I also rollarblade..and have nobody who shares that interest..I tend to do the whole loop of false creek and around stanley park..use it as a workout and enjoyment of a mellow day..

not much into hikes like the Grind..I like peaks that get u high into alpine without the tourists..

I work in film so hours are off and on..in the present I am not working..and if the weather is good, I am usually always ready to go (unless something super cool is happening in the city )

email me if u are interested in joining us on a hike...usually an interesting group anywhere between 30-40yrs..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who's added a reply to this thread! [8D]

In general, feel free to drop me an e-mail, because if I remember to check this forum once a week, I'm doing pretty well [:I]

If there are times that I might be able to join a small group, that would be really cool (age doesn't really matter so long as there's a degree of maturity... 25yrs and up, and there's a greater chance I'll be able to relate with you, and some of the best trips I've ever done were with people 65-75yrs old)... in general, I'm not keen on larger groups when hiking... 3 is like the most golden number, 5 already getting crowded (I like to be able to just enjoy nature and the view ahead of me, not watching out for the backs and feet of hikers in front of me).

I mostly get around by transit, hiking to the hike, and a mix with carpooling when possible (graduate student budget kinda sucks), and a few of the hikes that are on my list of "absolute must-do" this year, I'll be able to borrow a vehicle if done with enough advance planning.

Oh yah... one biggy -- I can't really handle smoke, so would prefer hiking with nonsmokers, or people who don't mind not lighting up on the hike.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 PM

Scrambles/ Hiking/ Climbing buddies?

Hello to all of the people who need hiking buddies!

Sounds familiar- my friends are either not keeping up, having babies, or in fact too advanced, so there I'm left with not many I can think of to call for a weekend scramble. I'm an avid overnight backpacker/ fit day hiker. I want to be a mountaineer. Therefore, I've just bought the 'Scrambles' book, and have decided it will be my guide for the summer (I'm done with the '103 hikes' level stuff). I'm ready for a challenge! However I don't have a 'High Clearance 4WD'- and this is going to cause problems with access. I've also started climbing, both indoor and out, but am a newbie and only have super advanced acquaintances with whom to go with- anyone interested in climbing together at the Edge in North Van or outdoors?? Basically I want to do scrambles and climbing, I'm not really into kayaking or much else for that matter.

I would love to hear from anyone who wants to do harder hikes/ scrambles/ beginner climbing. The sooner the better, how about this Sunday the 17th or next weekend? Feel free to email.

Cheers,
E
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:
quote:but am a newbie and only have super advanced acquaintances with whom to go with
If you have "super advanced" people to climb with then why would you prefer to climb with newbies? You will learn way more and progress much faster staying with the experienced guys....not to mention better safety.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Quote:
quote:but am a newbie and only have super advanced acquaintances with whom to go with
If you have "super advanced" people to climb with then why would you prefer to climb with newbies? You will learn way more and progress much faster staying with the experienced guys....not to mention better safety.
From my own experience, if there's too much of a gap in prefered climbing level and ability often it just doesn't jive well, and advanced level by no means always imply better safety (infact, all the injuries I've seen were by advanced climbers... lol, within far less than 15ft off the ground). I find its more fun having someone around your own level where you can challange eachother to push your limits, especially if one can sorta do it, it encourages the other to try to get to the same point... and then having a really experienced climber around to give you pointers from time to time really helpful.

Mind you, I'm speaking for myself... can't really say if that's alpineglow's take or not
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:

Quote:
Often when a newbie goes climbing with an experienced person they delegate decision making to the more experienced person. They have someone there to check their knots, etc. and everything seems fine.

Then when they go out with another newbie, all of a sudden there is no experienced authority to defer to. Suddenly they are responsible for remembering how to do stuff. At this point they might actually remember what they learned. From this point on they might remember how to tie a knot themselves instead of just having someone more experienced as a failsafe.

I know that's how it worked for me in some ways. When I was trying to learn glacier travel I would see a Z-pulley demonstrated, and 10 minutes later have totally forgotten it. But when I went aiding by myself and got a rope stuck, all of a sudden I had to build a Z-pulley to drag the rope down, and that's when I really learned how to do it.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Quote:

Quote:
Often when a newbie goes climbing with an experienced person they delegate decision making to the more experienced person. They have someone there to check their knots, etc. and everything seems fine.

Then when they go out with another newbie, all of a sudden there is no experienced authority to defer to. Suddenly they are responsible for remembering how to do stuff. At this point they might actually remember what they learned. From this point on they might remember how to tie a knot themselves instead of just having someone more experienced as a failsafe.

I know that's how it worked for me in some ways.
I agree and disagree depending on how much of a newbie he / she actually is. If there is no fundamental knowledge base then it can be extremely dangerous to head out with other noobs. If the experienced folk he climbs with have spent at least some time showing him how to do the basic setups then it can be a good idea as you mentioned.

If the person is a no knowledge noob and goes out with some one of the same experience then it can be dangerous and it can be very easy to make an error. It's a good idea to learn the fundamentals first from experienced people before heading out on your own with other noobs.

Looking back at my post I should have reworded it a bit. I was looking at it as though noob meant having 0 knowledge.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

LOL... how'd this turn into a climbing thread? Lets stick to the original topic, and we can start a climbing topic under the proper forum category if you guys are interested ^_^

post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shan

LOL... how'd this turn into a climbing thread? Lets stick to the original topic, and we can start a climbing topic under the proper forum category if you guys are interested ^_^

It's ALWAYS about the climbing. Besides, you started it []
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
quote:

It's ALWAYS about the climbing. Besides, you started it []
Well, regarding the climbing part, hmm, yah can't dissagree with you there [8D]
... the other part? - nuh-uh! you're the one that started it []

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page