Saturday & Sunday, March 12-13, 2005
Cheakamus Trailhead start time: 9:00 am
Elevation Gain:
~1400m on day one
~800m on day two
Estimated Return trip distance: 45 kms
Day 1 Ascent Time: 6-7 hrs
Day 2 Travel Time: 8-9 hrs

Summit Elevations: Empetrum Peak (1990m), Helm Peak (2146m), Corrie Peak (2263m)

[u]The Team:</u>
· Anton
· Deadhiker
· Dean1160
· EugeneK
· Socialclimber
· TracyL

The Plan
Day One: We'll park at the Cheakamus lot and hit the trail around 9am. The going is steep once we cross the Cheakamus River. We then bust it up the Helm Creek trail gaining a fair bit of elevation and set up shop at the campground. There are tent pads but no shelter. It's going to be a cold night.

After a quick meal, we continue toward Empetrum. Depending on snow levels and the condition of Helm Creek, we may be able to cross the flats as the crow flies, and start Empetrum ridge soon after setting up the tents. Otherwise, we'll continue southward a few more kms to Black Tusk lake, and then backtrack up the ridge that way. A gain of another 400m gets us to the summit of Empetrum and view of what is on the menu for Sunday.

Day Two sees us rising early and heading back north a bit and then turning southeast up Helm Peak, gaining about 600m vertical. We'll then cross over eastward to Corrie Ridge and Peak. The views should be spectacular and we'll be looking across the valley to Castle Towers Mountain. I'll be scouting an alternate route from Cheakamus up CT Creek to the Towers for a return trip there later this summer.

I estimate we'll be back in Vancouver around 8-9 pm Sunday night. My car is full so please provide your own transport. Beyond you regular winter and cold weather gear (warm tent and bag, stove, snowshoes…etc) I don't see the need for much more. I don't intend to bring crampons but might take along my ice axe.

Given the snow conditions, length of daylight in the valley, and the elevation and distance we need to gain with heavy gear, the pace will be steady and likely unrelenting much of the time, especially the second day. Please consider that when signing up. If you're not sure or have limited winter-time backcountry experience, feel free to email me for more info. Should be a helluva weekend!

Click for Garibaldi weather report
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Ohhh another epic Garabaldi trip! Exy and wish we could go on this one, but we have other commitments for that weekend. Looking forward to a great trip report!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Yeah, we're excited. The weather forecast looks amazing. I may have overstated the first day's elevation gain a bit, but in the snow, it'll feel like more anyway. And I think I've understated the trip distance a bit.

I read recently that there are no parking fees at the Cheakamus lot. Not that it's a factor, but has anyone else seen that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hikingbikingyogastudyingarcticdogswatersportssnowshoeing

Sadly, I am banned from this park, otherwise I would love to come. It sounds like a great trip!

'Motorized vehicles, dogs and fire are not permitted in the park year round'

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 12:52 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Looks like a great plan, Dean! You should have a great trip! One minor point, though. You probably don't want to do the north ridge of Helm. The best way to climb Helm is to continue up the trail a little ways from your camp, then turn south to pass Helm on the west side. Once you gain the plateau to the south of Helm, you can go up up Helm from the south. It's rotten, steep and exposed, but short. That's the easiest way up there. Then, you can continue along the Corrie/Helm ridge to bag Corrie.

One other thing - one time doing Corrie as a day trip, we dropped down into the Corrie Creek basin to Corrie Lake, figuring that would be a good shortcut on the way back. Big mistake. It might be better in winter, but I wouldn't recommend it. I mention this only because on the final ridge to Corrie Peak, this shortcut will likely occur to you as well.

Good luck with your trip Dean!

PB
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Bishop: yeah, I forgot you are indeed banned from Garibaldi. What about your master? Can she come out to play?

Peakbagger: Thanks Rhys. Great advice. Looking at the maps and photos I have, I had planned to approach Helm from the North. We'll work your route recommendation into the plan and go further south before assaulting Helm Peak. Thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Physiotherapy, taking prescription painkillers that cause Cheech & Chong moments

Not to yank this thread too far off topic PB, but what did you run into taking the "shortcut" down to Corrie Lake?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:07 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BeerSnob

Not to yank this thread too far off topic PB, but what did you run into taking the "shortcut" down to Corrie Lake?
There was one cliff band requiring some care and which gave some members of our party trouble. Then there was a swampy section, followed by some significant bush. After that, we had to take off the boots to cross the creek. From the creek crossing back to the trail, it was relatively easy going. In the end, though, it took us at least twice as long to come out that way than if we'd gone back the standard route. I've heard that it can be a good ski out in winter, but I don't know if this year counts as winter.

PB
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dean1160

before assaulting Helm Peak.
Yikes - pick on someone your own size Dean.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page